Could CDs be making a comeback?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Sure. In that sense, I think CD's are going to be around for a long time. And there will likely continue to be a new specialty market for CD/DVD/Blu for quite a while, so I'm not losing sleep over any of this. But undeniably, the marketplace and the media have changed and the old culture of acquiring music that we all celebrate here has become antiquated for most younger listeners. Combine that with increasing fragmentation in the marketplace and competition for our collective entertainment dollars and I just don't foresee a "comeback" any time soon.

2. tomd

tomd Senior Member

The sooner the labels put the cd out of it's misery with either Hirez downloads or Blu Ray Audio the better we'll all be.....

3. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Just so long as the local shops continue to buy cd's that others consider obsolete so I can buy them....I'm good.

I'm sure there are many people out there who've yet gotten rid of their collections.

I believe I have a lifetime of mostly unlimited choices in this regard.

ian christopher likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Kind of a crappy thing to say Tom, got this single, released last fall, I highly doubt this would of been available on BR if forced and screw the download
    [​IMG]

5. tomd

tomd Senior Member

not crappy when you think about with the Led Zeppelin remasters we get vinyl and CDs NO Hirez discs.Bowie is reissueing CDs and NOT vinyl reissues despite the fact the VINYL reissue of Ziggy Stardust was one of the biggest selling records of '12.Music fans in 2014 want downloads,vinyl and Hirez discs NOT cds.Record companies should "wake up and smell the coffee"on that...

Scott222C and ian christopher like this.
  6. Tristero

I certainly don't see Blu-Ray replacing CD--again, we're talking about a niche audience for stuff like this, SACD, DVD, etc. (and I'm a fan of these formats, including 5.1)--nor do I wish to hasten the CD's demise. A well mastered redbook disc sounds great and I like to get professional art/liner notes too.

Endymion, ian christopher and Simon A like this.
  7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Okay I agree with some of the issues that have been done over and over, yeah with the zep, totally, why not just release the hi-rez that the lp's were pressed from also :cheers:

8. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

CD's ain't going nowhere, no matter what anyone says. The LP's are still around and they're making a comeback so CD's will be alright. CD's, LP's, MP3's and streaming are gonna have to co-exist. :edthumbs:

basie-fan, nbakid2000 and ShawnX like this.
  9. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Wishing cds continue is like saying wishing NON hi def tv/movies continue.We are in 2014 there is NO valid reason why we can't at least have 2 channel Hirez downloads or physical discs.

Scott222C likes this.
  10. Tristero

Well, it's not so much a matter of what we wish. As long as CD's continue to serve a purpose in the marketplace, they will continue to be produced, though their role is obviously diminishing quickly. I certainly welcome access to hirez formats whenever possible (though I haven't really gone the hirez download route yet--too many poor quality masterings out there and as we all know, better resolution doesn't correct that). Unfortunately, it's not clear to me that the broader marketplace is all that interested in hirez music, since it seems to favor convenience over sound quality, but I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

11. tomd

tomd Senior Member

"not such a matter of what we wish" the hell it isn't.I'll be damned if I go spend $20-30 for a classic Bowie CD reissue when I have the Japanese SHM-mini sleeve OR a $100+ CD reissue (with a lot of extra packaging) for T-Rex The Slider when I have the SHM mini sleeve version.Either i'm going to buy a 180 vinyl reissue, a SACD or Blu Ray Audio, a HIREZ download OR I'm just holding on to what I got and keeping my wallet shut....

12. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Yeah they're going somewhere. To Amazon where they are now selling for PENNIES literally!

13. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Thankfully, I've found original issues from The Church, Rush, Van Halen, Queensryche, The Cure and Tears For Fears -- for less than 7 bucks each (many in the 2-5 range) and they've sounded so much better than the remasters I owned - noticeable difference in how I can crank them and feel the pleasurable rush that the songs gave me in my youth (when I heard them on the radio or owned the original issues or cassettes before I foolishly unloaded them to buy crappy sounding remasters).

14. tomd

tomd Senior Member

the ONLY advantage to cds is that thanks to Amazon they're cheap.Cheaper than ordinary downloads even-NEW or used! I admit I still but cds for the car.That doesn't mean I'll continue to buy them IF Hirez downloads become the norm.

15. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

That would be wrong. Music fans want cd's more than vinyl and Hirez discs, that is why the record companies are still selling cd's. It's like some people on this web site are living in their own bubble world of self-reinforcing delusions. As of 2013: Vinyl is 2 percent of record sales. Cd is 57.2 percent of record sales. On what planet can you seriously argue that fans want vinyl and not cd's when cd's outsell vinyl by such a large margin?

16. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Bull! Music fans want vinyl and downloads! Look at the sales charts! CDs: STEADY decline,vinyl increase (although coming from a true niche position) .This is not rocket science! -Fans DON't care for cds anymore.When was the last time you went into a music store and seen the cd section INCREASE at the expense of Vinyl? OR Anything else in the store for that matter?

MackKnife and Scott222C like this.
  17. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

You are correct - it's not rocket science, it's first grade math. But I understand your theory - ignore the 57 percent in favor of the 2 percent. That sounds like a savvy marketing plan. Your well chosen use of CAPS has convinced me!

ProgDave74 and Timmy84 like this.
  18. tomd

tomd Senior Member

l
    Look-I really wish my cds were worth something.Unfortunately they just are not.Not at my local bricks and mortar,not at Amazon.Ask any of the major labels:are cds selling? they'll tell you NO. Not moving much at all in the stores.

MackKnife and Scott222C like this.
  19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

20. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Why would I ask for anecdotal evidence when I just provided you with the facts? Do you know what anecdotal evidence is worth? Zero. I mentioned the bubble world of delusion that some people live in - I gave you the numbers but you have to insist otherwise - no offense, but that is delusional.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Robert C and Timmy84 like this.
  21. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Data storage warehouses create a great deal of pollution too - although we don't read about it in the news much. Since data warehouses and architects are such a large part of our economy now. They benefit from the same immunity that big tobacco did in the 1950's when few would mention the detrimental health effects of smoking.

Some environmentalists have claimed that date storage and IT technologies pollute more - and are a greater strain on our grids, than manufacturng plants.

22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Is the SHM any good? I thought the RCAs (and Rykos) were the forum favorites.

Timmy84 and ian christopher like this.
  23. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Why would this be a good thing? Why do you care if someone buys a CD? Do you dislike LPs with the same passion?

I dont/won't buy downloads, but I'm fine with you buying them. What if you decide that downloads s###. What options will you have.

I don't understand the rush to force people who like something to conform to what you think or like.

Enjoy your download collection.

Dynamic Ranger and Robert C like this.
  24. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

David Bowie's The Man Who Sold the World (RCA West German) recently sold on ebay here in the UK for £32. If you have the right CD, then they are worth something. If you have very common, poorly mastered CDs, then I agree, they are worth little or nothing at all.

EasterEverywhere and Shak Cohen like this.
  25. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

:angel:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.