Could Jim Morrison have made it without a band as good as the Doors?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

I am a Doors fan. I don't put them in the all-time elite though. I personally suspect he was very lucky to find a band that complemented his strange talents so well.

margaritatoldtom likes this.
  2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

...and was willing to put up with him.

3. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

It seemed to be a perfect marriage of backgrounds and styles. They created some great music in the studios and could come up with some interesting improvisations on stage. It's easy to think they needed him more than he needed them but that may have not been the case.

Bolero, ian christopher and nb2k like this.
  4. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Sure, no question.

Revolver and SergioRZ like this.
  5. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

So why did they stop selling records and tour as the big star group they were before Jim died ?

old school likes this.
  6. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

Success is all in the mix... and luck plays a tremendous part. Jim didn't even want to be a musician and without Ray's encouragement (and tolerance), he'd be just another forgotten poet. If Paul had never met John or if Brian hadn't had those records under his arm or if Syd had gone to another school, the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd (or whatever their name would've been) would have long since quit playing the small club circuit and their respective members would've moved into real jobs and enjoyed a quiet life, never to be heard from.

smoke, mando_dan and Pappas3278 like this.
  7. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

The question should be............Could the Doors have made it without a front man as good as Jim Morrison.

8. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

The Doors were a product of their times, their music reflected the culture of the late 60s. In another time, another place, would they have been as successful? As much as I love, adore and revere that first album, the way that it instantly transports me back to 1967, the rest of their catalogue is so very hit-and-miss. For every "Riders On The Storm", we had/have to endure schlock junk like "Horse Latitudes" and the incredibly banal "Hello, I Love You."

Figbert likes this.
  9. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I want to say no, but then, I'm not a big fan of Morrison or The Doors, so maybe my comment doesn't count. Other than the fact that he got them noticed (no small contribution!), I actually think that he held back a band that could have done better.

10. Ocean56

Ocean56 Forum Resident

No, I don't think so.

BUT....like so many other bands, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Jim needed them. They needed him. Had he lived, I don't think he would have found a solo career to be easy. And as for them...well, cf. 'Full Circle' and 'Other Voices'....:)

11. KeithH

Obviously not. Other Voices and Full Circle were bombs. Manzarek and Krieger have released solo albums, but certainly nothing as successful as what they did with Morrison. It's fair to ask whether they would have been signed to major labels without their connection to The Doors.

12. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Now this is all just my opinion but Jim had the greatest voice in Rock and Roll but The Doors were equally talented musicians. The Doors are the most played band in my house because my 21 year old son has a Doors fixation and has had it for 5 years. They were also great song writers. While not my favorite band, I've listened to them steadily since 1967 and have never gotten tired of them. Musically I find them more advanced than The Beatles, Stones or pretty much most other classic rock bands.

LordThanos1969 and ArpMoog like this.
  13. bill13

bill13 Forum Resident

of course.He may did something great without Doors...but something else)

14. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

OP: Yes, he obviously could. Morrison is an ultimate rock star. He was a rather difficult person too. But that was his problem anyway - even with the Doors. He could have a solo career as well Lennon without the Beatles, Lour Reed without Velvets, Iggy without Stooges ... Bowie without Spiders ;-)

15. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

The thread title begs the question: "Were the Doors a good band?"

Rfreeman likes this.
  16. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

I think he could have made it without a band at all. Lou Reed sure did.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  17. Johnnycomelately

Johnnycomelately Active Member

He had a great,photogenic look and really unique voice that made him stand out instantly.I assume he would have found success regardless of what band he was fronting.Some guys/gals just "have it",ya know? That certain star quality about them.I think the Doors legacy and standing as an all time great group have benefited a great deal from the Jim Morrison cult

18. KeithH

Very good.

Encuentro likes this.
  19. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

I agree, but I have always thought the music was second rate and that Morrison's self promotion was 90% of the group's appeal. Just me, I guess,

20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Actually they tried and the answer is no. I think Ray was just as important as Jim though.

21. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

They needed Jim.

22. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

Difficult - charismatic singer with great voice + excellent musicians. Plus Robby did write Light My Fire (amongst others). However, Janis made it despite Big Brother/Holding Company not being exactly brilliant musicians.

23. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

sure .. the lizard king can do anything.

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

He would certainly made it but the music would have been completely different. Manzarek and Kreiger worked wonders in giving the group such musicality. Now if Jim had met Wayne Kramer earlier on, that would have been something else altogether.:D

ailgin likes this.
  25. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Shouldn't the question be, "Would Morrison have been even bigger if he had a competent backup band?"

Rfreeman and I333I like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.