Counterweights For Rega Turntables

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bruce Burgess, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member Thread Starter

I own a Rega P3 turntable, with the Groove Tracer Delrin platter and subplatter. I am now wondering whether it would be worth my while to upgrade the counter weight on my turntable to the Groove tracer or a less expensive alternative. With the Canadian dollar trading at less than $.75 US, the Groove tracer would come to $260. Canadian. The $35.00 US shipping fee plus taxes and duties would bring the total cost to close to $400.00 Canadian. Could anybody tell me how the Groove tracer counterweight would improve to sound of my turntable? I am also wondering if there are any less expensive alternatives that would do the same thing.

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Assuming your RB300 is stock, I'd spend the money on a Cardas (or other litz wire) re-wire first.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  3. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I might be in minority here but the GT to my ears decreased the sound quality compared to the original CW.

Paul K and KT88 like this.
  4. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

Too much for a counterweight

patient_ot and KT88 like this.
  5. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I purchased the GT counterweight so I could close the dust cover after installing a spacer to accommodate a tall cartridge. I didn't notice any change in sound compared to the stock counterweight. The GT is hard to balance because it's asymmetrical. I also think it's ugly. I'd skip it unless you need it for functionality. Even then I'd just get the smaller diameter Rega counterweight. Other than the counterweight, I adore Groovetracer products, though.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I have the Pete Riggle counterweight and would recommend it. It has a better stub end that is really a structural mod. The weight itself is a little flashy for my taste, however I've put the old Rega counterweight on the Riggle stub and heard a notable degradation in definition. I think the hard coupling of the weight to the stub, and then the structural mod both help. I've not used the Origin counterweight, but I hear their stub is similar.

Others mention rewire, which is not a bad thing to do. I have the Incognito, and I've even cut that down and reterminated with better RCA connectors. That is particularly useful if you are trying to trim away capacitance.

7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I'm using the groovetracer cw on my office RP3, I felt there was a tightening of the imaging after installation.

8. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I use the GT counterweight in black on my RP6. I heard no change in sound at all. I just prefer the look and feel of it.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  9. Whistlerskibum

Whistlerskibum Forum Resident

I would get the record weight clamp before the counterweight

timztunz and Long Live Analog like this.
  10. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member Thread Starter

Based in some of the responses here, I'd say you're probably right. It would have to be a pretty substantial improvement to justify $400 (Canadian). I think I'll stick with the stock counterweight. I like the GT platter and subplatter though.

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I felt there was a slight improvement in imaging and dynamics with the Groovetracer counterweight, and I love the looks and the feeling that I did all the Groovetracer upgrades. But if you have the sub-platter and platter and it is so costly to Canada, don't get that now.

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I have a Michell Tecnoweight on my P5. It might be cheaper than a Groovetracer plus it's good for both light and heavy cartridges.

13. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Groovetracer products are top notch! Have the delcrin platter, upgraded sub-platter, and counter weight......great sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.