"Country-Rock" Recommendatons

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pig whisperer, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The Doobie Brothers - 'Stampede' from 1975 was their 'fourth' popular album in a row and has a great country rock sound and feel to it. It could easily be a soundtrack to a 70's western. Their earlier albums Toulouse Street, The Capt. & Me, and What Were Once Vices all have a few country rock tracks in them as well, but they are not as consistent as Stampede.

The Ozark Mt. Daredvils, their early to mid 1970's albums are all superb and very country with great harmoinies and catchy pop rock-oriented riffs. The 'self titled,' It'll Shine When It Shines, etc.

The Marshall Tucker Band - always had a consistent country rock sound to them - but more 'western' in its feel. You really can't miss with them, even their later stuff is quality, although I hugely prefer their 1970's output when Toy & Tommy Caldwell were alive. Toy was certainly one of the greatest of the under-appreciated country rock guitarists that graced this planet. Their two best are (IMO): Searchin' For A Rainbow, and Carolina Dreams. Also try the first self titled, Long Hard Ride, Where We All Belong, and Runnin Like The Wind.

qtrules likes this.
  2. jsrstereo

jsrstereo Forum Resident

Country Rockers

Cowboy: "Five'll Get You Ten" & "Reach For The Sky"
    Robey, Falk & Bod: "Kentucky Gambler"
    Mason Proffit: "Bare Back Rider" and several other titles

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

And here I thought I was the only one with these albums! Warms my heart... :)

Charlie Daniels Band - anything from the '70's like high Lonesome, Fire on the Mountain, etc.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - rock with a country / southern flavour. If you like the Allman Brothers, you may like Skynyrd.

qtrules likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...one of the best Country/Southern Rock albums...THE HENRY PAUL BAND-SELF TITLED...and available on CD!

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...oh yea, and the ROWANS! Peter Rowan & The Rowans...counrty with a touch of bluegrass/rock! Collectorschoice reissued them on CD...EXCELLENT!

6. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

You can't leave out Robert Thomas Velline/Nothin Like A Sunny Day.... at least, I hope that's what it's called. Mine's buried amongst tons of other vinyl for now. Great country rock from Bobby Vee under his real name.

Frank G

And I wholeheartedly second Cowboy/5'll Getcha Ten. Underrated to the max!

7. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

My Morning Jacket ~ It Still Moves (2003 ATO/RCA)........like one long, amazing country-rock concert, even tho it's a studio album. The playing is top-notch, and the vocals (AND the reverb :cool: ) are beyond goosebump city......gets better with each listen, too. :thumbsup:

8. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

And that reminds me: The Outlaws - Hurry Sundown. Buddah has a nice sounding remaster of this. Very southern/country rock. Great album, lot of oomph to it.

AveryKG likes this.
  9. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Charlie Daniels Band - Fire On The Mountain
    Pure Prarie League - Two Lane Highway
    Marshall Tucker Band - Searchin For A Rainbow
    Poco - A Good Feelin To Know
    Charlie Daniels Band - Saddle Tramp

10. I'm stuck on all those early Poco albums that still sound like the Buffalo Springfield. Hey, is it true that "Flying on The Ground Is Wrong"????

Hey, I have a white label 45 of "for What It's Worth c/w "Do i Have To Come Right Out And Say It" . . and the fidelity totally stomps the HDCD of the 1st BS album, even though they used the same MONO mixes, darn it!

11. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

.................................Yeah that's a good 'un but quite a few years previous to The Dirt Band's rustic endeavors, the 13th Floor Elevators twisted Will The Circle Be Unbroken into a lysergic pretzel on their Bull Of The Woods album. Also I wanted to add two outstanding albums by Kinky Friedman and His West Texas Jewboys to the list of necessary countryrock listening.......SOLD AMERICAN and LASSO FROM EL PASO.

12. keoni

keoni Senior Member

speaking of uncle tupelo, son volt's trace is definitely worth checking out. i've heard that the new son volt record is really good too, but i haven't heard it yet. then there's wilco. i'm not a big fan of a.m., but being there is a must have. i'd highly recommend wilco's other albums too, but i wouldn't call any of them country-rock.

13. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

There were also some early '70's UK bands that released nice country-rock LPs, such as:

Bronco
    Cochise
    Brinsley Schwarz
    Ian Matthews
    Matthews Southern Comfort
    Heads, Hands & Feet

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

thematinggame likes this.
  14. barzzz

barzzz Forum Resident

How about molly hatchet?

15. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Well played Sir!! A top choice!

Michael Nesmith has been mentioned already but may I also recommend the Nesmith 1st National Band albums, Magnetic South, Loose Salute and Nevada Fighter.

Also, check out the "quirky" (I'm being kind here people), 2nd National Band album Tantamount To Treason Vol. I as it contains the brilliant "She Still Thinks I Care" and "Talking To The Wall". Two of Nesmith's finest moments.

16. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

All great choices. The Brits have a different "feel". if you will, but still tremendous stuff.

17. Casemeister

Casemeister Forum Resident

Waylon Jennings wasn't really country rock, but he was rockin' country ;)

Waylon Live: The Expanded Edition is essential. Just an awesome album.

18. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Blood Oranges - The Crying Tree (90's country/grunge...hot!)

19. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

One of my favorite cds. Unfortunately, the current cd release is so over - compressed as to be nearly unlistenable. I'm glad I made a cassette of the vinyl.

20. SuperMusicFan2003

SuperMusicFan2003 New Member

Another good group is Cross Canadian Ragweed - very good musicianship and singing.

21. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

Check out some Lucinda Williams. I really like Car Wheels On A Gravel Road but all of her albums are really quite good.

How about Drive-By Truckers? More of a jam band perhaps, I don't know. The Dirty South is a fantastic album.

22. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

hey nobody's mentioned the "b" word--

beatles-i don't want to spoil the party

Had a mix tape some yrs ago of an hr. or so of their "most country" influenced material . . . once you start hearing them back to back (espec George's guitar breaks), it's not so much of a stretch--espec w/covers like everybody's trying to be my baby thrown in.

I'm Looking Through You has somewhat of a country flavor, though I can't technically explain why.

doug

23. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Brad, I thought for sure you'd mention the Amazing Rhythm Aces ;) They'd be another good one to check out. Their music is much more varied than their one or two hits.

24. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Of course, the Amazing Rhythm Aces are worthwhile.

Satrus likes this.
  25. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Old Ways - Neil Young
    Seven Gates A Christmas Album by Ben Keith & Friends

single song selection :shh: The Rattlesnake Trail :D ummmm Jethro Tull :angel:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.