Cover picture of "How Dare You!" (10cc)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Forum Resident Thread Starter

(a possibility for Gary's avatar in the man's pic?)

Does anyone know the story behind the cover pic of 10cc's "How Dare You?" Just wondering what it was about - it seemed like such an odd album cover, but then so was the music. You see in the background a man getting out of the red sports car, who also appears in the picture on the desk.

Attached Files:

Greenblues likes this.
  2. Anders B

Anders B Active Member

This is what Storm Thorgerson, the man behind the leading album cover design company of the 70´s, Hipgnosis, said about the "How dare you" cover :

"It took a whole month before I was able to reduce 10cc´s "How dare you" to some workable bottom line. In this case it was that there were a lot of connections in the lyrics involving puns and unlikely word associations. As soon as I said that to Peter he suggested telephones (because they connect, of course) and we both immediately thought of that old film thing of split-screen phone conversations. The band rejected the filmic side of the idea, but liked the telephones because, unbeknown to us, they already had a phone song on the record (Don´t hang up). What a connection indeed! They wanted something modern and sophisticated so we did a style piece, a parody of Sanderson ads, full of tastefully furnished rooms occupied by very tasteful people, "Very Sanderson, very 10cc. We chose characters and situations from the songs and then added a sub-plot involving the couple that appear in every shot, in the desk photo or behind the blonde lady where we see them getting out of the car. This sad lady in the foreground is a gin soaked housewife, wasting away in rich suburbia, whilst her smooth businessman husband works too hard and consequently neglects her. Hipgnosis goes socially conscious. He is furious at being interrupted at work, again. How dare she! THe inner spread for the album it´s a paranoid nightmare about going to a crowded party and being totally unable to talk to anyone - better to be on the blower than face somebody directly. 10 cc themselves are in there somewhere as are the characters from the front cover".

(text taken from the book "Walk away Rene´" - The work of Hipgnosis.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes
    Anders B

Carlox likes this.
  3. RickH

Anders B, great reply, thanks! Makes much more sense - i never realized the cover had actually been explained somewhere. I don't even remember the inside cover he spoke of. BTW, cool ELO avatar!

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Wow - I always thought that the gentleman was calling his wife to say that "company" was coming. And she was very upset as she was unprepared... to say the least ;) )

Thanks, Anders. :)

5. BZync

BZync Forum Resident

6. Anders B

Anders B Active Member

Thanks RickH and Gary- glad I could help out!

Here is some additional information and name-dropping regarding the "How Dare You" cover that I found in Q magazine:

Of the four characters on the "How Dare you" cover, three, alas, were not to be traced. According to Aubrey Powell, co-founder of Hipgnosis, the girl getting out of the sports car was Mandy Mills, an ex-wardrobe lady in Marc Bolan´s employment who also appeared on the cover of UFO´s "Phenomenon". The guy in the same car was Bruno Geffin, who Powell says shifted from property development to running a lightning company, which supplied the lights for a Bruce Springsteen UK tour, although his management weren´t able to identify him. The office bound male was one Douglas Kent, who gave up acting and moved to Devon. "He was always playing Zappy businessmen in commercials in the late ´70s", says Powell. However, the housewife in the housecoat gripping the phone in gin-soaked misery and talking to the suit was Helen Keating, actress and self-confessed player of "Cocky, busty blondes, the tart with a heart." Keating was working for a photographic agency when her first sleeve job arrived. The 10cc guys were lovely. A smashing job. It was a lovely day, I remember. I just had to pose with lots of fake tears, like someone had just had a go at me over the phone. An unrequited love job, that was the mood. She no longer seeks album cover work - "Only if the price is right. It´s not the kind of work you go looking for.

Now we possibly know EVERYTHING about that album cover!

Best wishes,
    Anders B

7. Anders B

Anders B Active Member

Great stuff!

Although Hipgnosis broke up in the beginning of the ´80s founder Storm Thorgerson, despite of health problems, is still doing the occasional artwork. I think the latest one was the CD cover for Alan Parson´s "A valid Path".

8. RickH

WAY more than I ever expected to find out. Much appreciated.

9. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

There's a bit more going on in the cover theme. There's a younger couple of whom one is the son or daughter of the middle-aged couple, and both are soap opera actors. An airline worker (Mandy?) is being pestered by the butler of the parents.

10. Gerry Galipault

Gerry Galipault New Member

for those curious about the album ...

From allmusic.com

After scoring their commercial breakthrough with "I'm Not in Love" from 1975's The Original Soundtrack, 10cc continued to build on their good fortune with How Dare You. It didn't spawn another massive hit like "I'm Not in Love," but it is a well-crafted album that shows off 10cc's eccentric humor and pop smarts in equal measure. This time, the hit singles were "I'm Mandy Fly Me" and "Art for Art's Sake." The first tune is the fanciful tale of a plane crash victim saved from death by the stewardess of his dreams that plays out a poppy mock-exotica musical backdrop while the second is a tongue-in-cheek parody of commercial-minded artists set to a rocking, cowbell-driven beat. Elsewhere, How Dare You pursues a similar mix of zany humor and pop hooks: "Iceberg" brings its tale of a frigid romantic partner to life with an incredibly intricate and jazzy vocal melody, and "I Wanna Rule the World" is a witty tale of a dictator-in-training with enough catchy riffs and vocal harmonies for two or three songs. How Dare You loses a bit of steam on its second side when the songs' tempos start to slow down, but "Rock 'N' Roll Lullaby" and "Don't Hang Up" keep the listener involved through a combination of melodic songwriting and typically well-crafted arrangements. In the end, How Dare You never hits the giddy heights of The Original Soundtrack but it remains a solid album of witty pop songs that will satisfy anyone with a yen for 10cc.

1 How Dare You Creme, Godley 4:15
    2 Lazy Ways Creme, Stewart 4:23
    3 I Wanna Rule the World Creme, Godley, Gouldman 3:59
    4 I'm Mandy, Fly Me Creme, Gouldman, Stewart 5:23
    5 Iceberg Godley, Gouldman 3:43
    6 Art for Art's Sake Gouldman, Stewart 6:02
    7 Rock 'N' Roll Lullaby Gouldman, Stewart 4:00
    8 Head Room Creme, Godley 4:24
    9 Don't Hang Up Creme, Godley 6:19
    10 Get It While You Can [*] Gouldman, Stewart 2:5

11. noahjld

noahjld Forum Resident

Cool LP cover. Got mine signed by Godley,Creme,Stewart and Goldman.

12. Greenblues

Greenblues Active Member

"Art For Art's Sake" is such a cool song. Just hear this percussion/echo effect in the verses ("Gimme Your Body... CLOCK CLOCK CLOCK CLOCK). Sounds like ice cubes in a long drink, served during a stone-cold business meeting. 10cc were really masters of effect.

13. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

14. chrischrischris

chrischrischris Well-Known Member

Great album, great cover and great thread. If only all of life's quandaries could be resolved as quickly and efficiently!

Didn't Hipgnosis/ST reunite for the Syd Barrett compilation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.