Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Oct 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone catch this new show? I really liked it. It's a lighthearted musical dramedy with an engaging lead character - a feel-good show. There were some really funny moments, like the sexy-getting-ready-song, a parody of a Britney Spears music video (I think), where at the end a rapper adds his trash-talk bit, but it pays off in the last scene of the ep where he makes amends.

Anyway, if you're after something light and breezy but that also has some smarts to it, this might be for you.

2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Never heard of it.

3. John54

John54 Senior Member

Oh, it's fiction?

4. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

I enjoyed the first episode enough to check out a few of Rachel Bloom's videos. She's pretty funny.

5. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I lived it, would have nightmares if I watched a show about it

6. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Rachel Bloom is better to look at than listen to.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

All crazy ex girlfriends are fiction. Didn't you know that?

:eek:

Tim 2 and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. Deesky

You lived in a musical? :D

9. Deesky

Really liked ep2 - it was a great deal of fun. I'd never seen Rachel Bloom in anything before, but she's really growing on me with her sense of fun and easy self-deprecating quirkiness.

All the musical numbers have so far been excellent and I loved the Indian Yoga dance routine - very funny. This show's a blast!

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Thought the first episode was very good--clever and funny. The musical numbers were good. The rapper bit was great. And the lead character who's supposedly both brilliant at job and f'd up stupid in her personal life does a good job of making you believe she's both brilliant and f'd up stupid in turns.

My main concern is that this felt like the first half of a comedic movie, not a premise that you can continue for season after season...But I'm sure there's a game plan.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  11. Deesky

Another fun episode. Rachel Bloom is a revelation - she's just so versatile. The musical numbers continue to be a delight and I especially loved the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers-like number.

12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I love Laina. She is awesome. Her character makes me squeamish.

Sorry. This is what I was expecting on the show and was kinda disappointed.

SandAndGlass and MonkeyMan like this.
  13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Despite a Golden Globe for lead actress Rachel Bloom, the ratings continue to be pretty disappointing.

Which is unfortunate, because it's really a really good show...By far my favorite new show of the season...

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

What network is it on?

15. Deesky

Yep, I don't get it. It gets a 96% Rotten Tomato rating from critics and 86% audience score. I've liked it from the start and what's more, it has continued with the same quality and commitment to its genre (which is somewhat of a hybrid comedy/soap/musical). Rachel is a standout, but all the supporting cast is excellent too.

16. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

Aren't they a genre invented by stand-up comics?

Gary likes this.
  17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Somewhat amazingly (given pretty poor ratings), Crazy Ex Girlfriend has been renewed for a second season...That's good news for the handful of us who are watching...

The first season will be 18 episodes.

18. Deesky

19. Deesky

New season started with a bang. I love the new credits song as well as all the musical numbers performed in the show. There's major story retooling, which is a good thing given the developments in the previous season. I really missed this show & Rachel Bloom's considerable talents.

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A TV show ?
    Ah, ok.

Lightworker likes this.
  21. davechen

davechen Forum Resident

Hey y'all. I saw the video for Sexy Getting Ready Song posted on another forum and it inspired me to binge watch the whole first season. I'd never heard of the show before that. But now I'm hooked. Ratings seems to be a concern though. I hope it doesn't get canceled.

22. Deesky

Yes, that was one of the early 'classic' numbers, but there have been so many, from Britney Spears parody to Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers, Madonna, West Side Story, The Music Man and most recently the hilarious Marilyn Monroe 'diamonds are a girls best friend' spoof dealing with (love) triangles! Also, the new S2 theme song & performance is old-timey adorable.

23. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I've not seen much of the series, but The Math of Love Triangles is indeed excellent.

24. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Damn, I saw the title of the thread and thought there'd all kinds of crazy stories there. ;)

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Hmmm....I loved Season 1.

This season...well, not as much. Somehow, the balance seems off.

And now, with Santino Fontana (Greg) leaving the show...not good.

Last week's episode was also...weird...with the whole suddenly Heather lives with her parents in what looks like a house, next door to Rebecca, whereas last year she certainly lived along, in an apartment, next to Rebecca thing...what was that all about? Just odd. I mean, as a storyline to provide a means to have Heather move in with Rebecca, it was unnecessary (just have her run out of money).

Still watching, but...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.