Crazy Guggenheim, is there a clip of him singing a song on the Jackie Gleason Show?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Feeling nostalgic and wanted to show my wife ol' Crazy and how we loved him on TV as little kids. I managed to find a few EuuToob clips with Gleason but nothing of him singing. Know any?

Thanks!

Hard to believe he died young at 58.

2. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

3. Steve Hoffman

Very much appreciated.

4. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

That was so good it brought a tear to my eye. I hadn't seen those since I was a kid.

5. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

This was slightly before my time I guess. I dimly remember seeing some of this when I was a child, probably in some kind of re-run. But I always thought Jackie Gleason himself played Crazy Guggenheim. I learned something new today.

6. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

Channel 9 in New York used to show Jackie Gleason show reruns at night when I was a kid, and I loved the Crazy Guggenheim character. Actually, a few other kids at school must've been staying up late too, because a few Crazy G impressions started going around the school, lol. They probably didnt realize the show was 30 years old at the time.

I always figured Crazy was the inspiration for the Pete Puma character in the later Bugs Bunny cartoons.

7. Ramon

Ramon New Member

I actually got to see the Jackie Gleason show live in NYC when I was a kid (the Crazy Guggenheim version)....about the only thing I do remember about it was the bar setting where Guggenheim (Fontaine) and Gleason as the bartender (Dunahee-hee-hee) would converse before being asked to sing.

8. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Great stuff, with the incredible Frank Fontaine. What a character and what a voice. "Hello, Mr. Dennehhhyyy." What was the number on the jukebox? 14?

9. Ramon

Ramon New Member

Correction to my post above.... I believe Gleason played Joe, the Bartender....Mr. Dunahee was never shown...

10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

This is from a Jackie Gleason Christmas special, with Frank Fontaine singing as himself. But thanks to a persistent fly, a little bit of Crazy comes out. Stick to the end of the clip, you'll love it! :winkgrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcpxOxhyfXw&feature=related

P.S. to Steve: Did you have a hand in this record? ;)

[​IMG]

11. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Dunahee was the camera. Us. God I loved that show.

"And a-WAY we GO!"

12. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The vocal inflections Mr. Fontaine affected as "Crazy" long preceded (by about a decade or two) his being first hired by Mr. Gleason to play the role in Joe the Bartender sketches. And I only recall Pete Puma in one Bugs 'toon - Rabbit's Kin, released in 1952 (and yes, Stan Freberg did a highly credible impression).

13. Steve Hoffman

Fontaine did the voice on radio in 1950-52 and was in Bing Crosby's HERE COMES THE GROOM in 1951. Pete Puma's voice was a direct homage to Fontaine.

As a six year old I remember watching Gleason on CBS TV Saturday night just to see Crazy. The Four Seasons "WALK LIKE A MAN" was on the radio at that time, why I remember this, I dunno.

There was a kid in school who could really do him well, he was 7 and he had the goofy face down and everything. I sure admired that kid, Tony. It seemed that Curly of the Stooges and Crazy were the two people that every kid in school imitated, our parents were probably frantic.

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This reminds me, I was once gifted a budget priced LP of Frank Fontaine in the mid-'60s - probably a Starline label...? I guess the parents noticed I only used to laugh at Crazy, then lose interest in the show afterwords. But even then they noticed I loved me some rekkid playing!

15. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Brings back a lot of memories. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Nonsense - memories are being made all the time. :nyah:

17. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

They just don't make comedy shows like that anymore, great stuff.

18. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Great, great stuff. I can still remember seeing Crazy Guggenheim for the first time and the shock of hearing him sing. I watched those clips with a big smile on my face. Now where are the June Taylor Dancers?

19. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Gee, I didn't know we had a Crazy Guggenheim smiley...

20. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

Crazy Guggenheim was my first experience with a happy-go-lucky drunk. All I'd had up to that point was my old man who would only get mad or bitter at the world after downing a few. Since that early childhood realization, I've met two other men that were the friendliest and most funniest when they were pixelated (as I believe Daffy Duck used to say.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.