Crazy Priced Albums on eBay - All From Same Seller

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by TheVillageRecorder, Mar 18, 2018.

1. TheVillageRecorder

TheVillageRecorder Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone ever watch this seller Dimagraphy and his auctions? Crazy prices and every title he has either is sealed with stickers, shrink with stickers or promo copy with stickers. I have my opinion on all of these titles, but what do others think?

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  2. TheVillageRecorder

And I have no affiliation with the seller. Forgot to add that.

3. glide

glide Forum Resident

I think “why do you care what price someone is selling their wares for”.

4. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

If I was buying big buck records and it was pointed out to me by collectors with more smarts than myself that someone is getting very good at making price stickers and hype stickers, well, I would care. Big time!

Unless one was buying vinyl back in the 1960's and leaving the shrink on the covers with the price and hype stickers intact, well, yea-that would be ok. How many of us did that? I started buying plastic sleeves for lp's around the fall of 1970. Until that time I would scotch tape the shrink wrap to the album covers. When my friends would come over they would ask me why I did that. Well, all I remember saying is that I wanted to take care of the covers, and leave it at that.

Thinking back to the late 1970's and early 1980's I was aware of the problems with a couple dealers selling counterfeit Sun and Philles label 45's. Fast forward to the 1980's and 1990's and having the experience of buying albums through mail order (mostly through Goldmine and Discoveries magazines), buying sealed albums from the late 50's through the 60's and wondering if that was an original seal. There is a history there.

spanky1 and TheVillageRecorder like this.
  5. Blackie

Blackie Forum Resident

I hate the bobdjukic-style descriptions but damn, those are some amazing records!

aoxomoxoa and TheVillageRecorder like this.
  6. TheVillageRecorder

If they're legit. I don't know why one sells then it's relisted again and again.

7. Blackie

Blackie Forum Resident

Is this what you are referring to? Fakes And Counterfeits On eBay

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

There's a one-panel Dennis the Menace cartoon, showing Dennis and Joey, alone in front of a lemonade stand, with a sign that says, "$5 a glass". Dennis' line: "Relax, Joey - all we need to do is to sell one glass!"

As usual, it's not funny. And even less thought-provoking.

Where's Cathy when you need her...

9. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  10. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

look up seller called Zuber he's a piece of work.

ispace likes this.
  11. eddiel

eddiel Forum Resident

1) Non paying bidders
    2) Returned due to lp grading discrepancies

I bought a record from Dimagraphy. It was a grail title for me and I went for it. It was definitely legit. But I didn't agree with his grading of the lp. No issues dealing with the return. Good seller to deal with and to his credit, when he relisted the lp, he actually changed the grade. I haven't purchased anything since though. Since then he's gotten even higher prices for his records. Some are way over the top compared to what they usually go for.

I've bought from bobdjukic before as well. I am now banned from bidding on his records. This is because he sold records that were not as described which was of course my fault. lol

I've bought quite a few records from him actually. If you want the lesser in demand records you can snag them for a good price. Grade wise, they were ok, but some were off but not off enough that I wanted to return. But there were 3-4 over the years that were definitely over graded. I can be quite liberal when it comes to grading and I'll let quite a bit fly if it's not too off. But there was no denying the ones I returned were over graded. He relisted, but did not change the grade. But other people buy them and are happy so who am I to complain. His return process is easy too and he refunds postage without you asking. He prefers people to work through the eBay returns process as well. Very little hassle in that regard.

tmtomh likes this.
  12. Blackie

Blackie Forum Resident

13. eddiel

eddiel Forum Resident

At least he's honest about it. But I bet at least one of those bidders didn't notice that. Unless you really go over his write ups, you could easily miss something because of the presentation.

Pries are quite high considering the stickers are replicas. I would not be surprised if the winning bidder in each case didn't see that part in the auction write up.

Blackie and TheVillageRecorder like this.
  14. TheVillageRecorder

I think that's what some sellers try to do. Overload the page with colors, fonts, info and hope you miss something.

tmtomh and eddiel like this.
  15. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident

I think this Dimagraphy guy's a charlatan. I doubt the legitimacy of the amazing hype stickers that magically appear on every record he sells. He has been caught buying a Velvet Underground & Nico WL promo with a name written on the label on Ebay and then reselling it with a home-made "promo" sticker over the name:

Galactic Ramble

He probably slides period shrink wrap off of Mantovani albums from the thrift store and does some doctoring with his so-called hype stickers. Hey, I work for a printing company. Maybe I should try that move.

ted321, black sheriff, Raynie and 5 others like this.
  16. Blackie

Blackie Forum Resident

:yikes: Thanks for posting that! Serious fraud situation there!

ted321 and TheVillageRecorder like this.
  17. Blackie

Blackie Forum Resident

And why would a promo sticker be placed on a white promo label?

aoxomoxoa and TheVillageRecorder like this.
  18. TheVillageRecorder

So you know it's a promo copy of a promo copy.

Blackie likes this.
  19. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

Dimagraphy is a scammer. The records and sleeves are legitimate but he creates his own hype stickers, reshrinks records, and generally overgrades like crazy. Before I knew better, I sold him a mono torso VU and Nico record. Fully peeled banana and the record was G+. The record and cover are easily discernible by some distinguishing marks. Couple weeks later it shows up relisted by him with a complete banana, some fancy lighting on the record, and graded out at VG+, if I recall correctly. What I can't figure out is what his angle is. Most of the buyers don't appear legitimate, and I see the same item relisted multiple times. I also can't understand how, if some of these buyers are legitimate, why he has no negative feedback when savvier buyers realize the stickers used aren't real and the items are overgraded. Who knows.

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Forum Resident

Wow, what a crook.

Of course, a sophisticated buyer (and anyone paying two grand for this album should be sophisticated) would know that MGM NEVER used a sticker like that on a promo label.

TheVillageRecorder likes this.
  21. kwadguy

kwadguy Forum Resident

Oh, I can tell you how he manages to avoid negative feedback:

You: "The record you sold me is overgraded and the sticker if fake"
    Him: "Oh, I am so sorry. I feel terrible. I bought this record from the estate of a former record executive and had every reason to believe it was genuine. I am going to take a bath on this, but of course you should not get stuck with it. So send it back to me immediately and I will fully refund your entire purchase price and shipping. "
    You: "Oh, thank you for being so easy to work with."
    You (thinking): 'What a good guy. He got suckered and he's taking the fall. No way I'll leave negative feedback.'

People always think they're doing someone a favor by not leaving negative feedback. All they do is ensure these crooks live another day.

22. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident

The angle could be some form of money-laundering.

23. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Always my assumption when I see records sold for crazy prices on eBay.

tmtomh and TheVillageRecorder like this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Forum Resident

This would be an easy win if you got it, realized you'd been hoodwinked by the fake banana, and filed a SNAD case to get your money back.

25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa Drop kick me Jesus through the goal posts of life

Interesting. Explain.