Cream - Crossroads (Wheels of Fire)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leviathan, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was the version on Wheels of Fire edited from more than one performance? Wiki says it was from one show but I thought I had read somewhere that it was edited together.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

3. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

What Steve says. For a long time those involved said it was edited (Tom Dowd?) but eventually the actual master tapes proved otherwise.

Leviathan likes this.
  4. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

The other rumor that has been around for years is that it was edited down from a 20 minute performance. If this were true I think the uncut version would have been released - officially or unofficially by now.

frey, Leviathan and Folknik like this.
  5. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, I figured someone on here would know the answer, but I didn't expect a reply from the man himself.

Probably my favorite "guitar song". Clapton's guitar tone and phrasing are perfect, IMO.

6. I remember reading a Rolling Stone interview with Clapton about 40 years ago, where he said he didn't like his solo in "Crossroads", he thought it was too sloppy!

7. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

He's always pretty hard on himself in terms of his Cream tenure. I remember reading he made his break with Cream after reading a Rolling Stone review of a band performance, or maybe the live half of Wheels Of Fire, as being self-indulgent, which he decided was on target enough for him to reconsider his musical direction. It's hard to understand, because he was certainly not lacking for positive reinforcement in those days, i. e. "Clapton is God".

Dave Hoos likes this.
  8. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I don't think "Crossroads" was ever one of their extended improvisatory numbers anyway.

O Don Piano likes this.
  9. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

I hadn't listened to it in years, but when I first heard it as a teenager when the Crossroads box set came out, I was convinced that there was was an edit coming out of the second solo because the vocals seemingly came back in so abruptly and the song then simply ended. I love how at the end, after such a searing guitar exercise, Jack Bruce (I assume) says, "Eric Clapton on vocal."

All Down The Line likes this.
  10. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I'm a big Cream fan but never did care for Crossroads.

11. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

I used to think there was an edit there as well...it sure sounds like it

But after discussing it here a while back, and Steve confirming there was no edit on the master, I believe it sounds like that because the band goes from pounding-thunder loud, to much quieter after the solo

and the mics/recording gear they were using reacts to the decrease in volume, giving that effect

ie: if you scream into a mic for a few seconds, and then stop, the ambient room sound pops back up in the recording because you are not blasting the mic & it can now pick up the rest of the room

That's my theory anyway

JulesRules likes this.
  12. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

"Crossroads" is great. Eric doesn't know what he's talking about. I love to crank it LOUD!!!

13. Steve Hoffman

CROSSROADS is great. I remember the day I was sitting comfortably in Bill L.'s office at PolyGram in NYC with Marshall and Bill played us a bunch of newly found alternate takes of the live Wheels Of Fire stuff. I asked him to play CROSSROADS from another night's recording and it sounded almost exactly the same. Same length and (believe it or not) the solo was almost the same as well. Not quite, but very, very close.

hiterss, supermd, Mullin and 13 others like this.
  14. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Not to pick on you, but I find it very strange a "Cream fan" doesn't like Crossroads!
    I can understand being tired of it, but that shouldn't distract from the fact it's a virtuoso classic performance.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  15. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

It always sounded to me like Jack says "Eric Clapton: Lead- and vocal".

sleeptalker likes this.
  16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

That's interesting and I would love to hear that alternate recording, because as many times as I've heard Eric play "Crossroads", in and out of Cream, I've never heard him come close to the Wheels of Fire version.
    It's one of those songs that I thought that it all came together once, so it was lucky that show was recorded.
    Now from what you are saying, it sounds like lightning was caught twice in a bottle, or whatever that expression is.

I take it that version is still unreleased?

JulesRules likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Eric Clapton, please. Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker, please.

18. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I hear Ginger Baker (not Jack Bruce) saying "Eric Clapton, lead -- and vocal" as well:

JulesRules likes this.
  19. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

Whoa, whoa, whoa... do you know what you've done?!!! The interminable searching, the return of all those sleepless nights - LET THE HUNT BEGIN!

JulesRules and All Down The Line like this.
  20. SGR

SGR Forum Resident

It would be great if the alternate live Wheels of Fire material could be released.

rockclassics and JulesRules like this.
  21. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

They used the intro as the theme to a music programme when I was 11 or 12 and I remember it really caught my ear and thinking what is that, what is it......took me ages to find out and ages to find it on record........no internet then!

22. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

One of the best rock guitar solos ever captured on record, and what makes it even greater is that virtuoso bass and drum awesomeness accompanying it. A fire-breathing three-headed monster, if there ever was one.

23. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

This rendition was my entry point into blues music. I still think it's great.

24. Zack

Zack Senior Member

One of the great blues=rock songs ever. Interesting to note the "going down to Rosedale" verse was cannibalized from Traveling Riverside Blues, also by Robert Johnson of course.

I always heard Bruce at the end saying "Eric Clapton lead . . . and vocal."

sleeptalker likes this.
  25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That comes at the end of Toad :)

I just might spin Wheels Of Fire today

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.