"Creed" trailer ("Rocky" spinoff)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

He can be annoying, but the first Rocky won 3 Oscars and was nominated for 7 more for very good reasons. My favorite line in the original was Apollo Creed saying "...ain't gonna be no re-match..." which they blew by, guess what? Having a re-match in Rocky II.

2. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Rather than start a thread I'll just rave on here about how %^#* good this movie was. Very shallow spoilers follow -

Michael B. Jordan great as the new guy in the ring. When we first saw him as the troubled QB in Friday Night Lights (TV Series) both wife and I said he had that charisma that can elevate a good actor onto the next level. He flat out doesn't disappoint here. The scene for me that transcended his performance from very good to great was at the end of one of his training runs when the crowd of bikers rode behind him. A hugely uplifting moment reminiscent of Rocky running to the top of the outdoor stairs at the memorial in Rocky. Stallone, for his part, was perfect in his role. The guy may be one dimensional, but that one dimension worked perfectly here.

This movie, directed by the Fruitvale Station director Coogler, had all the right touches to drench the show in believability. Team Johnson was composed of characters you'd swear just came from the urban gym down the street to shoot the scene during lunch break. A keeper all the way and up there with the best we've seen this year, i.e., Spotlight, Sicario, The Martian, Inside Out, etc.. A nearly sold out suburban Dallas theater on a cold rainy Sunday afternoon to boot.

3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I was wondering where I recognized Michael from and it was Friday Night Lights.

Very solid movie.

lbangs likes this.
  4. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

The reviews and previews are favorable for this so I plan on going to see it in a theater...my favorite movie experience was seeing the first Rocky in a packed theater in Philly right after it came out...the crowd was standing and cheering during the last fight scene, no ****. An incredible movie experience.

5. 905

905 Senior Member

Rocky is my favorite film, and Creed was wonderful. I'm glad to read so many great reviews.

GodShifter likes this.
  6. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

There is talk of an Oscar best supporting actor nod for Stallone already.

7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Stallone wins Best Supporting Actor award for "Creed" from National Board of Review 2015.

905, blind_melon1 and driverdrummer like this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Definatley get the DVD.

9. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I was thinking this would be a flop-I'm surprised!!!!

10. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Saw it today, really enjoyed it! A worthy addition to the 'Rocky' canon.

11. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I saw it recently. It might be my favorite movie this year.

12. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I saw it a few weeks ago, great film and probably the best Rocky since the Dolph film from the 80's IMO.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That's not saying much.

Oliver likes this.
  14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Creed is a lot better than IV. But, the storyline from IV is integral in setting this one up. Funny how they did it referring to IV as little as possible.

heatherly likes this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Interesting, I guess I need to see Creed. I've been avoiding it, but the praise and reviews have won me over.

tonyc likes this.
  16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I would put Creed somewhere in the top on a list of Rocky films, I and III being the other two films. Stallone deserves his Golden Globe nomination.

RoyalScam likes this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes a must have!

18. Michael

I consider this a different chapter in Rocky's life and apart from the great Rocky franchise...

DLD and Encuentro like this.
  19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

True. He's a supporting character rather than the main character. Still, a great performance on Sly's part.

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

I'm sure it was. I am a fan of Sylvester...I will watch anything he's in.

Encuentro likes this.
  21. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Just watched this. I enjoyed it. Didn't realise the fight was filmed at Goodison Park. Creed's girlfriend is smoking :)

22. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

If you dug this (like I did), and you haven't seen Fruitvale Station...head over to Netflix this instant. It is fantastic. I'll now follow Coogler and Jordan's future endeavors.

lbangs likes this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

That's my favourite along with Balboa.
    Is Creed really Rocky (1976) in new boots, pants, n 'gloves ?
    In other words a rehash.

24. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Sly wins Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor for Creed. Not to mention standing ovation from the entire audience.

25. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

SO deserved. (I just hope he doesn't ruin it by doing another, more hokey Creed sequel...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.