Creedence Clearwater Revival CCR Absolute Originals LP Box?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean V, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

These AP reissues preceded QRP, they were pressed at RTI....

Your posts are all over the place. First you complain about the "reissues" not having enough bass. Then you flip your argument to the old quality control problem and historical value of reissues.

2. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I have that 45rpm set and it's killer. Also have all the individual AP LP's and SACD's.

So I guess I'm good to go. :cool:

MikeJedi likes this.
  3. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

there are two of those listed on Discogs right now in "NM" for $69.99 and $79.99. plus shipping.
    the only one in the sales history with enough description to make a call sold for $74.99.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  4. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Aren't we all...

MikeJedi and Stone Turntable like this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Sorry forgot to respond. AP Creedence albums were $25, as I recall. One of the best bargains ever.

MikeJedi and whiskerbiscuit like this.
  6. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I usually don't make blanket statements, because everyone's taste is a little different, but I have near mint originals of all the Creedence albums, dark blue Fantasy label, etc., and some Fantasy reissues (which sound quite good BTW), and the Absolute Originals box set.

The Absolute Originals set is better than all of them in every case from a sound standpoint, and for that matter, the pressings are nearly perfect. Not to get all Charlton Heston, but this one will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands.

MikeJedi likes this.
  7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I had the original Creedence vinyl as a kid back in the day, and I've got the S/T debut and Green River on the excellent George Horn-mastered '80s Fantasy vinyl reissues.

The AP versions are on a whole other level. I've got Bayou Country and Green River on vinyl and Willy and the Poor Boys and Cosmo's Factory on SACD and they all sound absolutely fantastic. These babies deserve to stay in print as the canonical discs rather than becoming rare and pricey collector's items.

MikeJedi likes this.
  8. Undergroundhero

Undergroundhero Active Member

Well, when it comes to originals Mesa, I don't usually shop online a lot for records that are normally common, unless they are really rare records that I cannot seem to find as easily as others. Those prices are what I might call inflated Ebay type prices on a common record that can be found for far much more cheaper than what that those prices suggest. You might even be able to go into a record shop and find them cheaper for half the cost. I don't know where some of you live, but you must have some record shops that aren't stocked as much as they should be, or perhaps most of them have closed? You can still find deals all the time, if you have the money or are willing to travel to a much more better stocked used record store. Thrift stores, some antique stores (although prices there can be inflated a bit there too), flea markets, local yard sales advertised on Craig's list or estate sales, all have records that can be found in near mint condition, if you are willing to do the search.

Whatever the case, either people don't care to do the search, or they just don't have the time, so they end up settling on a higher price, just so they can acquire the album quicker by going online. Don't you think that the sellers/dealers know this already online when they are selling something higher? Most of the time, I don't want to get locked into an auction because the price can easily be come inflated by the competition. This is all perception in the end, so people are going to what they are going to do, so be it. It's all good, as long as you are finding what you are looking for.

9. Undergroundhero

Well, first off, I did not know that this box set was pressed at RTI, and secondly, if you read my post more thoroughly, you will see that I typed AS/QRP. What do you think that insinuates? That means it could mean either/or, and with that said, the AS means Acoustic Sounds or AP.

To clarify, I will tell you that I have not heard the AS/AP reissue of the CCR box set, and yes, there are some reissues that came out from the 80's-2000's that were either on CD or vinyl, which sounded different than the earlier pressings. Did I say that this was the case for the CCR box set in general? No, however, my general consensus for most AS/AP/QRP vinyl reissues has been 50/50 FOR ME PERSONALLY in the past. Would this be the case for everyone? No,, because there are many here that love these reissues, and haven't had these same issues like I have before.

If you read my previous threads, you would also know too that the quality control wasn't my only issue, it was also their justification on the pricing, when I could find the originals in great condition for a fraction of the cost. There isn't technically any wrong or right on this thread hybias, and you are entitled to your own opinion in this forum. All I would consider is that next time when you quote my words, really try to understand what I am getting across in my statements. It is still okay for you to disagree........

I mainly complained about 2 things hybias:

1.) The QC at AS/QRP and..........
    2.) The justification of pricing for the trouble of the QC issues

Am I clear on this now? I hope so

10. mesaboogie

the problem is there is no record store you can just walk into and on command be presented with a true NM copy of the exact pressing you are after. we all have our finds. browsing new arrivals will indeed yeild some gems. but someone who is seeking out this/these records right now cannot just buy them locally today or tomorrow or next year. its a crap shoot of what you stumble on when at the store. and I really don't think your definition of NM is the same as many here if you think most record shops are loaded with NM originals. when something truly clean shows up they usually end up behind the counter with a hefty sticker, not next to a VG copy for $5. I am in Phoenix. we have enough record stores compared to most, but if you want something, unless its new, you have to utilize the internet. they will all have multiple copies of LZII or any CCR. but NM means the record has no noise and looks new. add that and the old original pressing you want, and its off to the internet or keeping your eyes open for a very long time....even longer to get the deals you speak of. so....all that or a brand new cut by Steve Hoffman on command just run the card and pick priority shipping? seems there is a reason people want the second option....

11. Undergroundhero

I agree with most things you say here Mesa, except for a couple of things.........

I am quite possibly one of the most anal retentive record collectors you can think of..........My definition of a near mint record goes along with the Goldmine Standards for American records, so my definiton is the same as what you would see in said price guide. Near mint is near mint, and there is no way around it..........Basically, there should be no scratches, hairlines, scuffs or any other abrasions that would constitute a record not being a near mint grade. I am also anal about the way my records sound too. If a record has too much surface noise, it is immediately disqualified from my record collection, and is immediately resold.

Finally, you don't need to go to a record shop to find a near mint original first pressing; they can be found in other places too, as I just mentioned. Again, you just have to be willing to look around. If that limited edition box set is sold out, then what alternative do you have? Pay even more money for the limited edition box set because it is out of print, or start looking for the originals? Just saying.........

One thing I will admit though is there will come a time, obviously, when current scarce records will become rare in the future, so if you can find any original first pressings in near mint shape, then scoop them up while you have a chance. However, just because you find a record at a set sale price on Ebay or Discogs for $80.00, does not necessarily mean that is the going price everywhere you look. That is just the price they are selling the record at, and what you are willing to pay. The closed auctions would be the final word on that theory I would think.

Just like what John Tefteller told me one time, (who is btw one of the worlds best known blues & early rock & roll collectors of 78 rpm's) once mentioned, to quote: "If you see at least one or two copies of a record show up every week on Ebay, the record is not rare."

This is a rare record, for example:

http://collectorsfrenzy.com/details...DEAD_MAN_PSYCH_ROCK_HOOKA_LBLHOUSTONTX_STEREO

12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Ah yes - Josephus. Their self titled LP on Mainstream is out as a 180 gram reissue.

The thing about common records is that some of them are not really that common. Not rare but hard to find the right copy. Take Fleetwood Mac's self titled LP from 1975. Ooodles of them. But try to find the initial release Kendun cutting in VG++ or NM. Not so easy. I see this Lp a lot in bins but few of them are Kenduns and of those, rarely are VG++.

13. Undergroundhero

Yes
    Oh, I see your point totally, but the truth of the matter is; that Fleetwood Mac LP can be found with a lot more ease. Unfortunately, try attempting to walk into ANY record store to find an ORIGINAL limited pressing of the much in demand Josefus "Dead Man" from 1970 on Hookah records in near mint, and I almost 98% guarantee you won't find it anywhere, unless you go to Ebay. In fact, if a collector ever saw that album in a record shop who was into heavy psych rock, you would probably be trampled on!

As a side note: I have yet to see Josefus "Dead Man" reissued on vinyl yet legitimately. I emailed the guy at Rockadrome about trying to reissue this, but never got a response. And, Rockadrome does in fact use the original master tapes. With that said, the reissue of the self titled album that is on Mainstream is a Scorpio, and it is hard to discern as to whether or not they used the original master tapes for that issue! I heard it rumored that some of the tapes were ruined, whilst going through them for the Scorpio reissues of the Mainstream record label catalog. Well........at least that is the story I have heard.........Then again, this is Scorpio we are talking about...........

14. Raunchnroll

Even CCR deep groove / Hollywood cuts that are quiet are really tough. Very hard to find VG++/NM. Of those, half have that RCA 'grainy' or sandy surface noise caused by whatever vinyl formula RCA was using at the end of the '60's. I'm lucky to find 1 or 2 keepers a year now.

15. Undergroundhero

Yeah, RCA was known for that, unfortunately. I did encounter this issue in the past, but I am quite proud of my recent discoveries. With that said, some of the Jefferson Airplane issues on the 1969 orange label pressings can be quite debatable. This was right before the Dynaflex label reissues of the 70's. With that said, I have still found some really decent issues of the album "Volunteers". Although I have never had issues personally with the RCA Dynaflex issues of the 70's, there are some people who apparently have indisputably. For me, the best RCA pressings were the black labels with the RCA dog sitting in front of the Gramophone. This would be before 1969, and the last of the black label RCA issues would have been 1968, however there may have been some strays that leaked out in 69', just right before the brief orange label run in 69'.

16. Raunchnroll

I like the Dynaflexes, never had any problems with them. Generally very quiet too. However I learned the old heavy 'deep groove' RCA pressings had a heftier sound & presentation to them, this could be in part due to the slight VTA difference, and part vinyl mass / energy dispersion. With those pre-1970 RCA's, you have to get a couple copies and pick the one that sounds best.

17. mesaboogie

umm so you know, you can view the sales on Discogs. a NM copy sold for $75.

18. mesaboogie

*android phones cannot edit sometimes without massive errors, I gave to double post ...sorry*

the point is Undergroundhero, the OP is looking at a fantastic collection of brand new vinyl with top notch mastering and decent pressing quality too boot, and telling someone to track down all original pressings (without even listing the specifics of which ones sound good even) is a huge undertaking and not a walk in the park as you make it sound.

19. Undergroundhero

Well, I understand where you are getting at. I was perhaps under the impression the OP had prior experience in dealing with different pressings, so I thought I was speaking an identifiable language here. I apologize for that.......

20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This is what is known as "hijacking" a thread. The title of the thread is "Creedence Clearwater Revival CCR Absolute Originals LP Box", and you haven't heard them, but feel compelled to post a dozen times on first press vinyl from the 60's and 70's? I would take a step back - as collectors, we all suffer from mild perseveration at times, but let's allow people to discuss the original topic

21. Undergroundhero

Yes, I am aware of Discogs, MusicStack, GEMM, Ebay etc. etc., but I am also aware of closed auction sites like popsike.com & collectorsfrenzy.com, and the end result on a closed auction isn't always the same. If you want to pay more for originals or even reissues, go ahead, but if you choose to purchase an original, just be open minded to the fact that there are as many alternative possibilities out there as there are records. I guess that is my main point there mesa. And again, I apologize for any offense on my part here. Totally unintentional.....

22. Undergroundhero

Okay, I understand drbryant, so instead of mentioning what I should be doing on a thread, then go ahead and post something then that you feel is related to the subject? There is no rush here....

23. Raunchnroll

One thing about so many of these forum threads - they're like free form jazz. You never know where they will head or which tangent will dominate for a while. They're not that different from a semi-controlled train wreck. What endears me to this place is how the better ones here keep plugging away on the topic-at-hand and help it stay more or less on track.

Undergroundhero likes this.
  24. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Interesting discussion! Let's hope Chad and the gang can re-press this baby soon! :righton:

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Actually, I was interested in responses to the original post. I'd be interested in knowing if the 33 rpm box is available anywhere, or if there is more information on a possible repress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.