Creedence Clearwater revival (CCR) complete box set sound?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by javilu77, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am thinking about getting the CCR CD boxed set with all their albums, live stuff and pre-Creedence in 6 convenient discs.
    Can anyone comment on the sound quality of the box?
    DCCs and other expensive audiophile CDs are out of my budget so don't suggest buying those instead :D
    Thanks!

Boaz likes this.
  2. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Good sound.
    Better than the later remastered cds
    Imho

Jimmy B. and phantomime like this.
  3. javilu77

Thanks! So getting the whole CCR discography o this 6 CD boxed set for 47 USD sounds like a good deal?

4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

What's that box?

:wave:

5. javilu77

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Who mastered it ? Info. not on Discogs.

7. javilu77

No idea! How do we find that info?

8. Myke

Short of contacting who submitted it, I don't know. I spend more time adding the names of mastering engineers there, than I do anything else. But then, up until 8 years ago, I had no idea how important they were either.

O Don Piano and Crispy Rob like this.
  9. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

10. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Booklet says
    Produced for release by Fantasy Staff
    Mastering Engineer. Shigeo Miyamoto

11. Myke

Would waiting, and saving up for Steve's SACDs be completely out of the question ?

I have no idea what shipping to Buenos Aires would be from Acoustic Sounds, but the 7 discs themselves would run $210.00 total. I looked elsewhere, but no one else seems to have them anymore ( in 2009 I got mine via AS' Amazon Mktplce listing for $25 each).

Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds

Thing is, once you have the Best, you're done buying CCR digitally forever.

• How much does it cost to ship to my country?
      We base the shipping amount on the actual weight of your order. We have discounted rates through FedEx and UPS so we can compare shipping costs and find the best rate.

We advise placing your order online and in the "Special Shipping Instructions" asking to have the shipping amounts emailed PRIOR to charging your card. This is the easiest and most effective way to learn the shipping amount.

12. javilu77

Thanks mate, but 40 bucks is one thing, 210 is another. Plus on the box it includes the live and pre-CCR stuff. Is the sound quality that different?

I've already have Cosmo's Factory DCC gold disc I've bought 25 years ago out of sheer luck, that is all the CCR I have.

Myke likes this.
  13. Myke

The sound quality is the absolute best. Yes.

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hello from Los Angeles. You can get the Creedence Box for 40 bucks? Do it.

Get a baseline on the sound, absorb the stuff and then if you want to upgrade a certain album later you can do that as well. Love the band!

15. javilu77

Hey Steve, hello from Argentina. I will fly to LA in August to see ELO.
    I love CCR and I've always wanted to have the complete collection without having to look for the CDs one by one.
    Funny thing is I got the DCC for just a few pesos when I was 15 years old and had no idea that different masterings were important. I will keep it even though the material is included in the boxed set in its entirety.

905 and Myke like this.
  16. Myke

I've been going after their vinyl slowly ( have had the 45s since their release 50 years ago ), and just last night bought a copy of Willy And The Poor Boys Hollywood pressing, in our classifieds section here.
    Before that, the Fantasy of Cosmos Factory that uses Steve and Kevin's mastering, at a good, low price, and an original Rockaway pressing of Bayou Country, also from a member here.

You came asking an opinion, and you got one from the man himself. Not too shabby. :laugh:

17. street legal

street legal Senior Member

As far as sound quality goes, I really can't recommend this set. It is nice to have for the pre-CCR material, but that is about it. While not completely terrible, it is not particularly good either. It is somewhat compressed, and the upper midrange is jacked up way too much for my taste.

If you can't swing for the DCC or Analog Productions hybrid SACD's, your next best bet is to go for the most recent remastered with bonus tracks
    in the cardboard digipaks. At least they sound quite a bit better than the same material on the box set.

ricks, arisinwind and billnunan like this.
  18. javilu77

I am honored!

wwright and Myke like this.
  19. Myke

I figure if I haven't gotten sick of CCR after 50 years, I likely never will. :buttkick:

20. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I have this set. IMO, unless one *must* have the SACDs or the DCC releases, this box is the overall best way to get pretty much everything including the 2 live albums and the pre-CCR stuff in one shot at a bargain price used. IMO, the sound quality is very good throughout. I picked this up used at Amoeba Records in Hollywood about 6 years ago for about $25 and I often see it on eBay around that price.

The only real downside to this collection is that it spreads multiple albums over individual CDs utilizing every bit of CD space to get all this music on 6 discs, thus you have two albums per disc on the first few CDs, and 2/3rds of "CCR The Concert" on disc 5 and the rest on disc 6 with the entire "CCR in Europe filling out the rest of that CD.

Also, here's a more detailed listing of the (audio) production credits in regards to this specific release:

Mastering Engineer - Shigeo Miyamoto
    Production Cooridination - Stuart Kremsky
    Disc 1 assembled by Alec Palao and Wally Sound at Wally Sound Studio, Oakland
    Archive Research by Alex Palao, Roger Armstrong and Stuart Kremsky
    Audio Restoration and Digital Editing - Joe Tarantino (Fantasy Studio Berkeley)
    This box set is remastered using 20bit A/D converter with Digital K2 interface.
    Released in 2001

Mickey2 and Silver Surfer like this.
  21. javilu77

Well, we have very different opinions here. The jury is still out on this one!

22. javilu77

I see there is a re release of the "wooden cover" box in 2013 with a black cover. Audio seems to be the same. Does anyone know which one looks better and if effectively content wise they are and sound the same?

23. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Carlox likes this.
  24. Myke

Because you spend everything on Elvis FTDs. :laugh:

The Killer and artfromtex like this.
  25. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

John fogertys long way home or something like that , the ccr songs sounded good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.