Criterion announces extended cut blu-ray/DVD of "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World!" for 1/21/14

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lukejosephchung, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I might have to check out this release.

2. It would be great if Criterion were to get their hands on the uncut version of the 1954 "A Star Is Born." For many years now, there have been reports that the full print does indeed exist in the hands of a certain collector. This would certainly be an event.

3. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I love the blu-ray I purchased from wal-mart several years ago. Looks like it was shot yesterday. Once I heard there is a new Criterion blu with Robert Harris involvement, might have to buy it twice!

4. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

The MGM UA BR looks great ,so I more interested in the extras

5. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

I've never spent more than $25 for a movie on DVD but this just has to be part of my collection. I first saw the film at a drive-in when it was re-released in what, late 1969, early 1970...it's the first movie I ever watched all the way through.

6. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Over at the Hometheaterforum, they are recommending you keep your old blu-ray because there is a long documentary that won't be included in the Criterion.

7. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident

entropyfan and Clark V Kauffman like this.
  8. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

Funny. 25 years ago everyone was lapping up Laser discs at 60 dollars a pop like little kittens. Now 50 seems like too much?

jupiter8 and Jeff Edwards like this.
  9. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Forum Resident Thread Starter

Especially considering Criterion's own laser disc releases cost as much as $125(the 1988 restoration of "Lawrence Of Arabia") back in the day...$50 for a 5-disc box set is a bargain, AND considering this is a custom Robert A. Harris restoration project!!!

RockWizard and namretsam like this.
  10. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

For those in the LA area, the Arclight Cinerama Dome in Hollywood will screen this on October 27th at 5:00 PM w/ appearances by actors Mickey Rooney, Marvin Kaplan, and Barrie Chase. Tix still available. Saw it there when the Dome opened.
    The Academy of Arts & Sciences (Oscar folk) ran this last summer in 70mm w/intermission police calls & it was a kick. There was had a long list of stars attending including Jonathan Winters. Rooney was there & talked forever.
    IMO the flick is interesting, but, unfortunately, is very long & does not really work.
    50madworld_sm.ashx.jpg

11. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

Especially when you know a Criterion sale where you can pick this up for $25 is likely coming eventually.

I was a big laserdisc guy, and I can remember how excited I'd be when I'd find one of those $125 Criterion laserdiscs for $40 as a cutout at the old Camelot Music stores.

Compared to those days, it's all good.

lukejosephchung likes this.
  12. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Robert Harris will pour so much love into this project, I want a copy!

lukejosephchung likes this.
  13. Grampire

Grampire Forum Resident

$29.99 on Amazon! Time to mix up some Old Fashioneds.

MLutthans likes this.
  14. therockman

I think when I ordered it a few weeks ago it was $26.99, the price has gone up a little.

15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

All time greatest comedy ever.

I'm in...

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

17. therockman

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Glad you liked it! :wave:

19. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I liked your review. It's something to do whilst I wait for my copy....next week.... I'm gonna watch the long version the first time out. After that, I may only watch the shorter one...? I think that my LD set has the long one, same as here. It's so-oooo long that it has a limp in it's step.

20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

21. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

While we are all enthusiatic about the latest edition of Mad Mad Mad Mad World ( I saw it in the theatres back then in Cinerama and later in 70 mm format)...notice the great similaries in plot with the later more feadly serious Falling Down with Michael Douglas. IE Police Chief retiring on the same day , his Missus on the phone grizzling... trying to find people...trails of mayhem and destruction....dumping vehicles etc.....encounters with unco-operative shop keepers that create big incidents...
    At times it is like watching a carbon copy of MMMMWorld.

22. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Forum Resident Thread Starter

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

nbakid2000 likes this.
  24. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed your review. Thanks.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thanks.:)

Thread Status: