Criterion announces extended cut blu-ray/DVD of "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World!" for 1/21/14

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lukejosephchung, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Glad everyone likes the review! It's definitely an impressive release - I look forward to screening it on my new 60" plasma when it arrives soon! :)

2. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Thanks for the reminder. Need to get this next week! Time to hide away for a spell and watch this classic again.

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I was able to watch the Restored "Roadshow" on Criterion release out now. Thank you for a really fun evening Karen Stetler, Robert Harris, and many others at Criterion who worked really hard to get it out to enjoy on Blu & DVD.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I watched the Roadshow version last night. That's probably the last time I watch it. I viewed it twice on LD over the years. I'll take the clean, smooth version from now on.

5. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

Watching the blu GRV of this right now and it looks and sounds terrific. What a great package too.

6. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

Quote:"According to the disc’s notes, the film’s original roadshow edition ran 202 minutes but much of that footage got lost when it was edited down to 163 minutes for general release. This version brings back as much material as the producers could find, but it occasionally uses stills and audio to reassemble some scenes."

This part of the review really troubles me. Sounds godawful, and I'm not sure that I could watch this as stills, along with some "foreign subtitles" in some parts, just sounds like a hack job. Please elaborate on this, I'm holding off buying one of my favorite movies because of this..

7. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is hardly a HACK JOB...the restoration was done by the legendary Robert Harris, who is responsible for saving "Lawrence Of Arabia", "My Fair Lady", "Spartacus", Vertigo" and "Rear Window" from oblivion...the missing parts were destroyed/disposed of by previous regimes of MGM/UA's ownership...if the materials existed, they would have been USED!!! Criterion never allows their name or label to go on what would be considered by any stretch of the imagination hack work!!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    davenav and PhantomStranger like this.
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Rent it from Netflix first then,

It really turned out nice!!! I was caught up in the story in the "Roadshow" cut as it has some interesting changes from "General Release", Criterion put a really nice package of 3 DVD's & 2 BLU discs (if you can watch them at home) for about $32.00!

Robert Harris really did a beautiful job, with Criterion and others to bring as close to "Roadshow edition" as possible, and you get the "General Release" in the same package to enjoy, if the other version doesn't float your boat.

9. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Although the restored roadshow version is a rougher viewing experience in parts because of the stills and missing audio, subtitles, etc., it's still a very fascinating look at something that no longer exists in any complete survivable form. And it's obvious why some segments were edited from the general release version as several scenes were either redundant or didn't advance the movie in any particular necessary way. This is also mentioned in the commentary. But the roadshow version is still something that is worth viewing at least once for the insight it gives in how these type of movie events once were done. An excellent job all way around on this release.

therockman likes this.
  10. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Finally watched the new extended version as close to the original roadshow they could get. Nice to see but I prefer the shorter theatrical cut, tighter for comedy. But that's not why I came here. I wanted to say that If you have the MGM bluray of Mad World that came out a couple years ago, I have to tell you the big jump in quality with this new blu is not only a new scan of the image but a much much improved surround sound mix befitting a BIG motion picture. This new release is worth it for that alone. Plus a few never before seen "making of" footage in an extra called Sound and Vision. Great stuff.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Thanks for that. Some comments on another board implied that the two were virtually the same in terms of shorter cut quality - and I got crap from some people because I'd never seen the MGM disc and couldn't compare them... :sigh:

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Working my way through this mammoth set ( finishing the supplements on Blu ray Disc One ), really enjoying it, and I'm amused by the sincerity of my crush, back in 1965, or so, on Miss Edie Adams. :love:

Galley, lukejosephchung and MLutthans like this.
  13. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

So. I suppose you've ended up a very heavy cigar smoker...? ;)

14. Myke

No, in fact I quit tobacco 6 years ago. Beautiful women ? I won't quit that until they throw dirt on me. :laugh:

MLutthans likes this.
  15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Just picked up the Criterion set (only $12 !!) but I noticed a small discrepancy...

The original roadshow version runs 163 minutes on this new set, but on the old MGM disc it was 160 minutes. Anyone know what might account for this difference? Was the old DVD incomplete? Or could there just be a slight difference in frame rate between the MGM and Criterion discs?

16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Garr Norick has discovered that there are still some scenes in the LaserDisc version not even on the Criterion version.

17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

18. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I'd love for Criterion to take a shot at The Quiet Man...

Benno123 likes this.
  19. Myke

MLutthans likes this.
  20. Olive Films already took a crack at The Quiet Man.

21. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I need to find a LD player and burn my set over to disc.

Cracklebarrel likes this.
  22. Myke

And nicely done, too.

23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Go on Craigslist, eBay, etc.

24. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

An improvement over the previous release, but Criterion would wring the most from the elements.

25. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Sorry for the confusion... I guess instead of "original roadshow version", I should have said "general release version" or "theatrical version". Either way, I thought the shorter of the two versions on the Criterion set was the same version that appeared on the old MGM disc... but like I said, it's 3 minutes longer on the Criterion disc. Anyone know why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.