Criterion April 2018 titles

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

#917 - The Awful Truth (Leo McCarey, 1937) - 4/17
    #918 - The Color of Pomegranates (Sergei Parajanov, 1969) - 4/17
    #919 - Dead Man (Jim Jarmusch, 1995) - 4/24
    #920 - The Virgin Suicides (Sofia Coppola, 1999) - 4/24

Plan9 and driverdrummer like this.
  2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Another month without 'King Lear', huh? Dang it.

Firmly in for 'Virgin Suicides' and 'Dead Man.' Kind of curious about 'Color Of Pomegranates.' (Never seen it) Not really interested in 'Awful Truth.'

There's also an Ingrid Bergman Eclipse DVD set coming in April.

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

:agree:

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

...which is the only title I am interested in.

5. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

.. just bring on The Tree of Life.

6. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

The Awful Truth, Dead Man & The Virgin Suicides for me, we need a B&N sale this spring so I can catch up on titles I want.

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Great news on Virgin Suicides!

driverdrummer likes this.
  8. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Oh man, I'm all over that like white on rice!

Mmmm.... Ingrid.... :drool: :love:

9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

And I just discovered that 'Virgin Suicides' is going to be reframed at 1.66:1 for the Criterion release. :wtf: It's not going to stop me from buying it, but it's also not going to stop me from longing for the old-timey LaserDisc-ey days when Criterion used to proudly brag about how all their releases were presented in the original aspect ratio. I thought that was once a point of pride?

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Hmm, since "the new restored 4K digital transfer is supervised by cinematographer Ed Lachman and approved by director Sofia Coppola", could it be a 1.66 ratio was the original intention?

11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Virgin Suicides for me!

driverdrummer likes this.
  12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's curious. I'd like to hear more about their reasoning for doing this. Sofia's recent The Beguiled was in 1.66, so maybe she prefers that more now. Not sure that really justifies changing a past work, though.

13. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I know some directors and DPs prefer 1.85:1 but are there reasons for preferring 1.66:1?

14. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

The Color of Pomegranates is a must - Parajanov was a genius.

[​IMG]

Solaris and Plan9 like this.
  15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Maybe the original aspect ratio (open matte) is 1.66 but they cropped it to 1.85 originally for some reason.

Simon A likes this.
  16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Agreed, I have seen the restored re-release in the theater a couple of years ago and the visuals are amazing. The very slow rythm takes a while to get used to though.

Freedom Rider likes this.
  17. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

On paper, the forthcoming Region B Second Sight edition looks to have the Criterion beat. I’ll be picking that one up in the first instance, with one eye on the Criterion reviews.

Solaris and Freedom Rider like this.
  18. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I've been wondering about that as well. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the Second Sight release once you've digested it.

Solaris likes this.
  19. stepeanut

Happy to. The release keeps getting delayed, so, if I forget to get back to you, give me a nudge.

Solaris likes this.
  20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, just hope it's truly 5x3 and not vertically cropped like the director approved transfer on Shout's Blu of Dead Ringers (capsaholic) or Arrow's Blood and Black Lace.

21. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

A gorgeous film comprised of a series of poetic tableaux, almost like watching a slideshow of great paintings that move. I've only ever seen the versions online, in which the color is very obviously wrong, so I'm very interested to see a properly mastered version in hi-def.

Has anyone heard about a possible blu-ray release of Pandora's Box by Criterion? I keep waiting and waiting, because I'm sure as soon a I buy the DVD they'll announce a blu-ray.

Freedom Rider and longdist01 like this.
  22. stepeanut

The Second Sight edition of The Colour of Pomegranates was released today in the U.K. I bought it this morning, and watched the Parajanov cut this afternoon. I’m no expert on how this film should look, but the restoration and transfer is very impressive to my eyes. I didn’t notice any damage or artifacts; bitrate is high; colours are rich and stable; fine grain is visible and well-resolved. The edition is beautifully presented in a hard slipcase, with a 100-odd-page perfect-bound book. Not had a chance to explore any of the extras yet, but I’m very happy to own this.

Obviously, the Criterion is yet to be released, so the two cannot be compared at the present time. Not sure I’ll double-dip, to be honest, unless the reviews of the Criterion demand it.

Dave Garrett likes this.
  23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I didn't know The Virgin Suicides was a movie held in high regard judging by the number of people saying they are buying it, or are y'all just Criterion junkies :)

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, money is the new pride...for $39.99 they should put both versions to please the ppl who care about the OAR they are familiar with...and are paying for it.

93curr likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

to many it's all about the numbers, man..: )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.