Criterion "Bull Durham" - DVD Beaver screenshots show teal tint*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by genesim, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I didn't think "Midnight Cowboy" got the teal treatment, but I think "Bull Durham" did.

I compared it to the old Blu-ray and the Criterion is noticeably more teal - at times. Not consistently, but on occasion - and sometimes it's really teal.

The old BD could be wrong, but I doubt it. The colors simply feel more natural.

Bull Durham: Criterion Collection [Blu-Ray] (1988)

2. genesim

genesim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tide Box. The products don't lie.

Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm quite surprise at Criterion although I'm sure we'll hear it was the directors intent...just like LOTR.

4. genesim

Hmmm in the words of Randy Travis

"I told you so....I told you so"

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL...

genesim likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

You should probably quote my other comments as well since I never claimed the Blu-ray wouldn't have altered colors.

I simply said that people should wait for more data before they went Chicken Little...

7. genesim

And I said that DVD Beaver was a site to be trusted especially given the method of the Motley Crue T-shirt they used and the several different software source approach.

Scientific approach is not "Chicken Little".

Also note that I early on talked about bluray.com duplicating their results in screen shots (despite their glowing review...which shows you what I have said about reviews of certain websites for years)...matter of fact on the same day I quoted you which you ignored.

The review you posted about a small bit of teal sure doesn't speak about other posters who are pissed about what they got (as posted on the Criterion forum and bluray.com STILL put DVD Beaver down). Criterion screwed up plain and simple as I said from the get go. Randy hit it...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  8. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Is there an earlier Blu-ray version that does better than Criterion? I love this film but don’t like teal Durham Bull unis.

9. genesim

Nope. But there is a cheapo bluray that looks and sounds fine.

Click on DVD Beaver link for comparison on page 1.

10. drumzNspace

Thx

11. Oatsdad

I posted my review. I directly compared the two versions and saw that the level of "color change" varied from scene to scene...

12. Oatsdad

Overall, the Criterion is better than the old Blu-ray. Yes, the colors are changed, but they're not THAT extreme, and the Criterion is sharper and cleaner.

Examples of the color shift I mention in my review:

"Take the scene in which Annie invites Crash and Nuke back to her house. While the prior disc showed natural colors – with a clear white tone in the home’s paint – the Criterion release pushed these elements a bit toward teal. Even more notably, when the Bulls get to their motel on their road trip, the scene’s whites suddenly turn blue-green.

Honestly, the palette can feel confusing, as much of it looked fine. For instance, during the scene when Nuke intentionally hit the mascot, the blues “felt blue” and didn’t show notable influence of green."

So if you can stand some teal tint, you're better off with the Criteri0n. If you want what appear to be the original colors, you're better off with the MGM, though you're getting a more worn print and reduced definition.

Also, the MGM BD includes no supplemental features...

13. drumzNspace

Thanks

14. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Not too familiar with 'tealing' other than The Matrix and Titanic. Was this some sort of request from the director?

15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Badlands" is another film that looks too blue to me on Criterion. Maybe this is how the film was supposed to look, what do I know? That's what all the "experts" say. "Midnight Cowboy" looked like "The Aviator" on one of my televisions, but didn't bother me too much on another, so maybe it's all relative. I'm not as upset about Midnight Cowboy as I thought I'd be. I'm okay with it, I guess. But when I watch "Badlands" I miss seeing the colors pop the way they did on the old DVD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"What's it all about? Maliiiiiiickk?" - Bill Crystal

16. Oatsdad

As far as I know, no one involved with the release has discussed the colors of the image. It's all been chatter on boards like this...

17. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Agree with Colin. The Criterion blu-ray is not as bad as others are making it out to be.

Oatsdad likes this.
  18. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

I’m well familiar with this movie although I don’t think I saw it in the theater when it came out. I’ve owned several DVD editions and a 2 disc Blu Ray set. Saw it many times on cable too. I bought the Criterion and it is the best I have ever seen this movie look. I actually think this is the first time the colors have looked correct to the period. My friend loved this movie so much when it came out that his mother called the team and got him an authentic Durham Bulls jacket and he wore it a lot. Watching the Criterion edition of this movie immediately brought back my memory of that jacket in a way that no other version I’ve seen ever has. I’ll stick with this one when I want to watch Bull Durham from now on.

19. genesim

Uhuh. Go to the Criterion boards and get and see if you feel the same.

20. genesim

Since no one...and I mean no one seems to comment on this. Do you like a Tide clothes detergent to be orange or red?

On the new Criterion it is red along woth a pumpkin at Susan Sarandon's house.

I wpuld like to see a pic of that jacket. It really could shed some light.

21. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Because most filmmakers don't pay attention to home video releases of their films unless they're paid to participate. These new "color corrections" are a (now) long running practice of trying to "update" older media with current trends.

22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Seriously.

Thief Blu-ray - James Caan

23. genesim

WTF is wrong with Criterion lately???

The Graduate, Midnight Cowboy, Bull Durham...this. The Arrow blows the Criterion version away.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It looks really bad on the screenshots.

That said, if I was to chose from weird colors but otherwise stellar picture in terms of resolution and detail etc versus more natural color but with lesser resolution and detail - I chose my first example every day.
    You get used to the colors pretty fast and without comparrison I don't even think about it. But if I'm watching a DVD i'm annoyed pretty much all the time, to a degree.

25. genesim

I have to admit Midnight Cowboy isn't quite as bad in motion. Take for instance the "teal" in the new master of Terminator or the DNR in Terminator 2. When I watch both together and pretend no others exist, it really is a nice new experience.

The real question remains. How many times is Criterion going to do this where people say...enough is enough, catalog titles are being screwed up!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.