Criterion Collection Forum

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Matt, Jun 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

Regarding Criterion's price vs. Sony - Criterion is David, the Hollywood Studio Machine is Goliath. Goliath has a huge budget and can put their products wherever they want and can press enough copies to keep the price low. Every time I see a Criterion disc in Best Buy (which is rare), I wonder how on earth that single copy got there, next to 500 copies of MIB II or whatever drivel is being shoved down the masses' throats that week.

I bought Criterion's Dreyer box set on faith, having never seen the films, and I was totally floored. Thank god a company like this exists - I wouldn't expect these films to have their own massive promotional displays in WalMart.

And yeah, the parallels between DCC and Criterion are uncomfortably numerous. If it cost me $40 instead of $20 for one of these classic films, that's a small price to pay for keeping them available.

2. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

Right on, Tim.

As for Gimme Shelter, I totally agree about the sound. It makes me wish they do something similar to the new Led Zeppelin CD's and DVD and mix a new live album/SACD and surround sound DVD. I always felt that Ya-Ya's was a bit overrated. None of the official Stones albums have ever knocked me out. Plenty of boots scattered across the 70's have, and if those shows were professionally recorded, they would make definitive live documents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.