Criterion Collection - November 2018 releases

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mBen989, Aug 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

If it is similar to the Star Wars and Alien Anthology books, it should be a nice set.

2. Criterion 50% off at Barnes and Noble today

I clicked through and they offered that huge Bergman set even though it doesn’t come out til Nov 20. At the recent Criterion direct sale they didn’t discount pre orders.

So I bought it.

3. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

The sale runs through December 3!

4. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

So yeah, I cancelled my pre order at Amazon for Ingmar Bergman boxset, and went with Barnes and Noble. But more than just for the reason of it being cheaper. Having went through hell with Amazon over the last few days regarding the Batman Animated Series Blu Ray box set, I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon shipped this in a manilla envelope.

5. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Thanks for the reminder on the Bergman box. I just pre-ordered from Barnes & Noble. $150 for a set of this size is a no brainer, especially considering how expensive Criterion tends to be.

budwhite and Mazzy like this.
  6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

It’s weird there’s been so many complaints recently about Amazon.

7. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Because stuff come in damaged. Though they always do returns...still annoying.

chacha likes this.
  8. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

My second replacement copy of the Batman Animated set arrived damaged (first one looked like it had been stomped on). Both were shipped in slightly padded envelopes. I was going to order that Bergman set, but I will no longer buy anything "substantial" at Amazon again.

9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Amazon.com currently has the Bergman box at $150. Looks like they're matching the price with Barnes & Noble for a lot of the most popular Criterion titles right now.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Some Like It Hot...on my must have list...saw this at the movies when I was a youngster with my Mom...

longdist01 likes this.
  11. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I am planning on watching with double feature of Lets Make Love when it comes out!

vivresavie and Michael like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NICE!

longdist01 likes this.
  13. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Unsurprisingly Amazon has adjusted its Bergman price. Tempted to go in at this price, but I’ve really only seen a handful of these.

14. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

The Amazon price made me take the plunge, and I am very excited to see that this set is "out for delivery" and should be there when I get home. I have every Criterion Bergman title, but the new to blu ray films in this set made it a must-have for me. And settling the question of what to do with my old blu rays: I have a student in my fourth period IB English class this year who is a budding film fan and aspiring screenwriter, so I am handing them off to him. Nothing like a little altruism to relieve the guilt of money spent. :) I just hope that packaging of this new set lives up to the hype. FANNY AND ALEXANDER is a great film for the holidays.

zombiemodernist and Mazzy like this.
  15. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Awesome. Let me know how the package is, still mulling over getting it or just the individual titles I want the most.

This summer I was able to check out Filmstaden in Solna, Sweden where Bergman shot most of his early material, including Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries. Although it's not a studio lot anymore, some of the buildings are still intact and serve as HQ for SF and regional HQ for Sony Pictures. The surrounding streets are named after celebrities of the Swedish film industry, like Ingrid Bergman and Greta Garbo. I wasn't able to get an English tour, but there was a nice outside exhibit highlighting Bergman's films shot on the lot, and a statue featuring famous scenes / characters. Reminded me of how much output he had and how much I have left to see...

budwhite and FredCamp like this.
  16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I've often wondered why Bergman was replaced by John Landis on Animal House. It would be interesting to see some of the Bergman Animal House footage.

17. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Apparently, Bluto's 5 minute soliloquy on the staircase prior to smashing the guitar during the Toga party was the last straw...

18. :tiphat:

19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I’ve always heard it was an issue with Craft Services but after all these years we’ll probably never know the full story.

Mazzy likes this.
  20. My big Bergman set in on the way from B&N. It will take be the next twenty years to watch it all.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  21. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I had to roundup the movies not on it. I figured if I was going to go all out might as well complete it.

I have only seen Persona and The Seventh Seal. Loved both of them.:thumbsup:

I concur. It is going to take a while!

zombiemodernist likes this.
  22. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Nineteen years in you'll discover that the last disc in the set has the wrong label on it and it'll be too late to get a replacement. :sigh: Better put on some coffee and watch all of it as fast as you can from the moment it arrives. Sleep is for the weak. :cool:

genesim likes this.
  23. UGH..I Pre-ordered the Bergman Box from Import CDs when it was first announced and thanks to the CDN X-change rate my CC got charged 300$

Oh Canada!

24. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

I'm not looking forward to checking every disc and making sure they work.

25. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I must admit, I was not expecting the Bergman set to be such a behemoth (not that I’m complaining). I would love if they give the same treatment to Kurosawa. I know they had that AK 100 set, but a Blu Ray version would be my holy grail.

genesim and Hershiser like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.