Criterion's "100 Years of Olympic Films"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Hud, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

2. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Easy pass, for me. I like some Olympic sports (mostly the winter ones), but athletics isn't my thing at all. This set looks lovely, and comprehensive, I just have no desire to own it.

3. The Hud

Pre-order is live on Amazon. I went ahead and purchased because I have a feeling this won't be around forever, but I am hoping for a big price drop.

4. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

This seems dumb to me.

It may become a good investment, but I'm not buying the set.

5. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

A beautiful "statement set" for Criterion, but how much has gone into this vs. releasing more crucial (and money-making) films for them?

I love the idea of it, but in 2017, with the niche companies having to pick carefully to maintain their output and standards, it seems a bit over the top.
    One suspects a number of the buyers will be from the "keep it in cellophane" crowd who will want to offer it on Ebay for $1500 after it's out of print.

C.

6. The Hud

I am going to open it and watch it. I love the Olympics!

agn likes this.
  7. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Looks awesome and comprehensive. I love Olympic history. It is pricey, though...still seems like a good buy, since I trust Criterion.

The Hud likes this.
  8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'd buy it if it was $50 haha.

9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I love the Olympics, but this is still a bit much even for me.

10. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I would enjoy the 1996 Atlanta Olympics film. I was visiting the area when the Olympics were going on. I wish they could release a huge NFL Films box set straight from the original camera negatives...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Libraries will be all over this release. Not so much your regular Criterion fan, I'd guess.

MikaelaArsenault and longdist01 like this.
  12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

now there's a title probably not on Barnes and Noble twice a year, 50% off Sale!

That's one huge box!!

13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    image from Criterion

14. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I've always been a fan of Bud Greenspan-I think his docs are the best sports films ever made. This set looks incredible, and I could see myself getting seriously lost for several days, but it's just too pricey (although it's $10/bluray, which is pretty cheap).

15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Some of the films are by directors whose work I enjoy, but my absolute hatred of sports will likely prevent me from ever picking up this set. Especially considering the epic running time of the combined films... it would just too much to endure. (Anyone know what the actual total length of this set is?)

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Sorry, no Kurt Russell in "The World's Greatest Athlete?" Pass.

17. The Hud

Credit card charged from Amazon. Price down to $221.42.

18. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Is anyone going to watch this is my question? It feels like something you buy and put on the shelf

19. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I'd be very interested to know if it includes any footage of the Krautrock Band: Agitation Free who played at the Munich Olympics in 1972.

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It's out of my price range sadly but I would love to have this set. I think these types of things are amazing to watch, just from a historic perspective but also as pure enjoyment. To see the footage of Nadia Comăneci for example on the bars....breathtaking. Or the 'Hitler' Olympics with Owens sticking two fingers up to white supremacy.

I know a set like this isn't for everyone but I am baffled by some of the negative opinions up thread.

longdist01 and The Hud like this.
  21. peacekeeper

peacekeeper Forum Resident

22. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

23. The Hud

I received mine today, and I am happy to report that the box was not damaged during shipping. I am looking forward to opening it later tonight.

longdist01 likes this.
  24. The Hud

Just finished watching "Tokyo Olympiad". I enjoyed it very much! It was interesting to watch an Olympics from a non-USA perspective.

I have not seen the original DVD, but this BD looks amazing. Not much different than watching Olympics nowadays.

Sadly, this set is without bonus features, just like the Kurosawa box set. If Criterion releases Tokyo Olympiad separately with the bonus features of the original DVD, I am going to have to double dip.

25. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Tokyo Olympiad is an amazing piece of art. I had the original Criterion DVD but sold it after it went OOP for a crazy amount of money. Kind of wish I hadn't.

The Hud likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.