Criterion's "100 Years of Olympic Films"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Hud, Aug 10, 2017.

1. The Hud

The Hud MINDCRIME!!! Thread Starter

2. stepeanut

stepeanut Forum Resident

Easy pass, for me. I like some Olympic sports (mostly the winter ones), but athletics isn't my thing at all. This set looks lovely, and comprehensive, I just have no desire to own it.

3. The Hud

Pre-order is live on Amazon. I went ahead and purchased because I have a feeling this won't be around forever, but I am hoping for a big price drop.

4. EC3970

EC3970 Well-Known Member

This seems dumb to me.

It may become a good investment, but I'm not buying the set.

5. Claus LH

Claus LH Well-Known Member

A beautiful "statement set" for Criterion, but how much has gone into this vs. releasing more crucial (and money-making) films for them?

I love the idea of it, but in 2017, with the niche companies having to pick carefully to maintain their output and standards, it seems a bit over the top.
    One suspects a number of the buyers will be from the "keep it in cellophane" crowd who will want to offer it on Ebay for $1500 after it's out of print.

C.

6. The Hud

I am going to open it and watch it. I love the Olympics!

7. Standoffish

Standoffish Forum Resident

Looks awesome and comprehensive. I love Olympic history. It is pricey, though...still seems like a good buy, since I trust Criterion.

The Hud likes this.
  8. supermd

supermd Forum Resident

I'd buy it if it was $50 haha.

9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I love the Olympics, but this is still a bit much even for me.

10. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I would enjoy the 1996 Atlanta Olympics film. I was visiting the area when the Olympics were going on. I wish they could release a huge NFL Films box set straight from the original camera negatives...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. jkauff

jkauff Forum Resident

Libraries will be all over this release. Not so much your regular Criterion fan, I'd guess.

MikaelaArsenault and longdist01 like this.
  12. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

now there's a title probably not on Barnes and Noble twice a year, 50% off Sale!

That's one huge box!!

13. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    image from Criterion

14. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Resident

I've always been a fan of Bud Greenspan-I think his docs are the best sports films ever made. This set looks incredible, and I could see myself getting seriously lost for several days, but it's just too pricey (although it's $10/bluray, which is pretty cheap).

15. Rocker

Rocker Forum Resident

Some of the films are by directors whose work I enjoy, but my absolute hatred of sports will likely prevent me from ever picking up this set. Especially considering the epic running time of the combined films... it would just too much to endure. (Anyone know what the actual total length of this set is?)

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Forum Resident

Sorry, no Kurt Russell in "The World's Greatest Athlete?" Pass.