Critics be damned!!! I love the album anyway...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by markl, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitenoise

whitenoise New Member

Where's StyxCollector when you need him? :)

2. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

it wasn't on the original release, and I don't think it was added until well after it had been released on Biograph.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Wham! I love "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" and their other hits. No, really! :agree:

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It was a non-album b-side, and I remember first reading in 1982 about plans to add it to the album, shortly after the album was released. But it wasn't actually added until around 1986, presumably to give them time to sell off all the old copies without it. So it wound up coming out on Biograph first.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  5. jahndhi

jahndhi Forum Resident

Prince - Chaos and Disorder
    it's a fine little rock/funk/pop album

bataclan2002 and Jeremy Holiday like this.
  6. vex

vex New Member

...or anti-critic, if you will...

7. Paul Curtis

Paul Curtis Forum Resident

John Cale Comes Alive. The updated arrangements of "Evidence" and "Dr. Mudd" wipe the floor with the Sabotage versions (which I also enjoy, but only when I'm feeling particularly masochistic).

Carribean Sunset is also better than its reputation would suggest.

--Paul Curtis

8. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

One of the first bands that come to mind...Phish. They have never really been critics darlings although I've noticed a shift in the tide over the last few years. The bigger magazines (Entertainment Weekly and Rolling Stone) finally assigned Phish reviews to someone on their staff who seems to understand the band. In 1992, Entertainment Weekly dumped "A Picture Of Nectar" into their "worst of the year" pile (kind of funny in retrospect but sad that many people were probably turned off from the idea of ever listening to Phish because of a twisted review like that). Over the last five years or so, I don't think I've read a negative Phish review. The solo projects also receive high marks, especially Trey's.

9. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

Paul McCartney & Wings - Speed of Sound, Back to the Egg, London Town.
    Peter Frampton - I'm In You
    The Who - Who Are You, By Numbers
    Stevie Wonder - Secret Life of Plants
    Queen - Jazz
    Elton John - Blue Moves

Suncola and bataclan2002 like this.
  10. wen_4

wen_4 New Member

Everclear- Songs From An American Movie Vol. 1 and 2.

Don't knock 'em unless you listen to them!

11. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Culture Club, Waking Up With The House On Fire

bataclan2002 likes this.
  12. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

Put me down too for the Replacements' "All Shook Down." Now that I'm a middle-age fuddy duddy, I play it far more than the Mats' certified classics ("Let It Be" through "Pleased to Meet Me").

Also, Fairport Convention's "Gladys' Leap," which like most latter-day Fairport is dismissed as a mere shadow of the band's glory days. But I like this one just as much as, if not more than, "Liege & Lief" and "Unhalfbricking".

13. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Elvis Costello's "Goodbye Cruel World" - some great songwriting, over-production doesn't bother me much.

Haircut 100 - Pelican West. Maybe the critics don't hate it, but it doesn't get much respect. Fun stuff.

Duke Ellington - Ellington Indigos. Seen as a schmaltzy sellout by some, still the Ellington I most like to hear after a hard day at work. Gorgeous, lush big-band ballads.

14. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Nope, come on and sing along! :)

15. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Really? Most of the posts I ever see on this one rave about it, but maybe the critics of the time lambasted it. I've got a clean 6-eye mono copy that is spectacular sounding.

John K.

16. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Agree with the following:

Prince- Emancipation
    I will also add the Gold Experience. I really don't understand why it's slammed so much. It's one of the very few Prince albums where all the songs are great, IMO, and maybe the only one for which I never touch the skip button while listening.

Yes- Tales from Topographic Oceans
    Frankly, I could live without most of the material on the middle two tracks (their attempt at tribal rhythmic percussion is embarrassing), but the the first and last pieces are gorgeous.

And while we're on prog excess:

ELP- Tarkus, Brain Salad Surgery
    I don't care what anyone says- Emerson's ridiculous keyboard histrionics are a blast.

Dream Theater- Train of Thought
    It gets slammed for having a lot of solos or whatever, but the songs themselves are actually quite good and I don't understand why everyone claims they're not there.

17. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Fleetwood Mac-Penguin

THe Mac get very litttle respect as it is. This album is judged rather harshly by fans and critics alike. I agree that Dave Walker was a poor choice to front the band. However, he only gets two songs. The rest are sung by either Christine MCVie or Bob Welch. Although a couple of Bob's tunes overstay their welcome lengthwise, the album, barring Walker's contributions, is quite strong as a whole and shows a band coming into its own. It gets the ball rolling for the excellent follow-up Mystery To Me.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  18. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

The current Penguin Guide to Jazz gives it only 2.5 stars (out of 4) and doesn't really say anything nice about it...

19. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

These were the last two releases without Bob Stinson who was replaced with Slim Dunlap.
    I like Don't Tell a Soul as a whole but All Shook Down had 4 great songs and the rest was just ok.

Joe L.

20. Wufnpoof

Wufnpoof Well-Known Member

As I've posted elsewhere, "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" by Mitch Ryder is a great album which I think was either panned or just ignored when it was first released. This one just gets better & better.

21. BigAl84

BigAl84 Member

Say You Will - Fleetwood Mac
    This actually did prety well with critics and got many good marks. It did also get lots of bad comments on being too long of an album etc etc. I don't mind the length I would rather have 18 tracks and a nice variety instead of something scaled down to 12 tracks and be so disgustingly "slick". The mastering/mixing bothers me at times on this disc though, it sounds very compressed.

Joni Mitchell - Travelouge & Both Sides Now
    I think it was a nice area of exploration.

22. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

Iron Butterfly - In a Gadda Da Vida

Do It, you Cod Psychedelic Pretenders!.

[​IMG]

23. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Elton John's 80's albums.

JEFF!

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  24. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Journey with Steve Perry

Not the critics darlings at all but I love all their albums with Steve Perry.

25. LtPepper

LtPepper Forum Resident

Paul McCartney - Press (the song)

I'll also second The Replacements - All Shook Down
    I love their ballads as much as their rockers and this is a collection with some of their best.

Oh...also like Kokomo :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.