Critics be damned!!! I love the album anyway...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by markl, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

It is a great album. The only unlistenable album in their ATCO catalog is the Live album, IMO.

lee59 likes this.
  2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I've just been reading about Bill Nelson's Red Noise album, Sound on Sound. I bought it on release, and have always loved it. Was surprised to read, all these years later, how destructive it was to his career. Essentially it caused him to be dropped by Capitol in the US, with radio stations around the country laying into it pretty hard - with the exception of one in San Fran.

I know it was a change from Be Bop Deluxe, but I've always thought the music spoke for itself. Guess not. :D

May seem odd, but I prefer to read a critics opinion after I've bought an album. At least, with artists I know, I never read reviews prior to buying. I sometimes skim reviews looking for hints of things I know nothing of, that I may like. But if it's an artist I trust, it's always buy first, reviews later.

Anyway, they were clearly very wrong about Sound on Sound!

lee59 and ericthegardener like this.
  3. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

In 2018 this argument is kind of besides the point.

4. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Audacious or stupid?

5. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

The red album by Grand Funk Railroad
    Paul McCartney and Wings: Red rose speedway
    Black sabbath : Born again

WHR likes this.
  6. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

Back in 1989, when I was 16, I was quite upset about a flippant review of Stevie Nicks' new release, The Other Side of the Mirror. The reviewer relied on stereotypes related to Stevie's celebrity rather than substantive analysis of the songs on the album.

Art being subjective, I realize opinions differ but for goodness sake at least listen to the album all the way through more than once.

29 years later, I think the reviewer was right. It's just not a good album - but critic be damned, I love the album anyway!

bataclan2002 likes this.
  7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Satanic majesties request
    A dark heart beats!

Tristero likes this.
  8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

9. Magic

Magic I'm just this guy, ya know?

CSNY 4 Way Street. I bought the second album out of the first box they opened at the Warehouse the day it was released. Took it home and listened to all 4 sides and was blown away. Was surprised afterwards to read bad reviews about it. Being a huge CSNY fan at the time I was willing to overlook the objective complaints because hey it was CSNY playing live. Listening to it now I can be a bit more critical but I still like it.

Slack Babbath and Erik Tracy like this.
  10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Which of her albums are you referring to?

:hide:

Weirwolfe likes this.
  11. Sean

Sean Senior Member

This one.....some 21 century Rolling Stones...now playing
    [​IMG]

12. All Down The Line

Nice box.
    Ottawa nice town i visited in 95' and sensational human beings there also. Great to stay in the old gaol closed in 1973!

Sean likes this.
  13. tAC0

tAC0 ...for the record, I’m a vinylist

ELP ‘Love Beach’

Certainly not among their best, but critics be damned: skip the first three songs (or four if you like) and you’ve got yourself a pretty decent album. Personally I love the Bee Geesy cover (or be cheesy if you like). It’s an example of their great sense of humor IMO. All the crap about easy written sloppy, poppy songs for being it their final recording for Atlantic, only to oblige to their contract etc. etc..

I rather really listen to the record and quite enjoy it. It has quite grown on me.

carlwm likes this.
  14. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

The Driving Rain album get dissed a lot on this forum but it's in my top 5 McCartney albums.

Johnny Reb and Ken.e. like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Is that because you only own 5 McCartney albums? ;)

I like "DR" but no way it'd be in my top 10, much less top 5!

16. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

Wow! That's one of my all time favorite albums. I had no idea that it had a negative affect on his career. Can you point me to where you read about the negative reaction to this album. I still listen to it all the time.

MrSka57 likes this.
  17. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

To each his own I guess.

The Revealer likes this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

just about every album I love and own...many were panned by a critic of which I just laughed at their ineptness...

Jacline likes this.
  19. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Yeah, that's a pretty good LP. I bought it 'cause I liked Live in the Air Age.

20. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Back to the Egg is an average LP that could’ve been great had it’s creator and songwriter been a little more focused.

I loved what it hinted at when it came out, but save for Arrow Through Me (which I didn’t love...I was so enthused by the rock stuff), there are simply no completely thought out, well written songs on it.

21. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

“LULU”
    Lou Reed and some band he found…best record that band ever made, because all of their other ones suck.

22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

There's a hard(ish) to find biography on Bill Nelson out there, which contains the quotes.

[​IMG]

My copy is definitely a "readers copy", and would cost a whole lot less than Amazon.co.uk are asking - Jeez.

Still, it's a fun read if you're a Bill Nelson fan.

ericthegardener likes this.
  23. All Down The Line

Naturally.......

Their Satanic Majesties Request 1967

Coming from The Stones it was a shock so unsurprisingly was heavily criticized by some major scribes.

Since then many critics felt they should not commend the record in any way, such was the backlash and they must stay in step with their perceived readerships views.

More recently time has allowed a balanced reappraisal and favour has turned strongly from the late 60's negativity.

An oft quote runs similarly to this; "If it had been put out by Anyone else it would be a lost psych classic"

Abkco got on board with it for a 50th anniversary release though even they feel they must be slightly apologist towards it which is both bemusing and dissapointing.

It is heartening to know that now it has many fans who get it, and both openly praise it (without hesitation) to would be listeners and purchasers online and in person.

A delightful detour with Brian Jones & Nicky Hopkins dominating the bands sound and leading them creatively forward to Beggars Banquet.

Proud to say i have 17 vinyl copies, 3 CD copies plus an 8CD box set and for mine it ranks at #6 for Stones LP's!

24. veon

veon Forum Resident

31 paged in and I’m the first one to claim Chinese Democracy! Even tho Rolling Stone gave it 4 stars, just about every other major publication raked it over the coals.

St Anger by Metallica was something that listened to a lot at the time and actually enjoyed.

Strays by Jane’s Addiction came out my junior year of college- the first time I could absorb a Jane’s album as it csme out and i spun the hell out of it

One Hot Minute by the RHCP- I liked the weirdness and textures, even tho it wasn’t vintage Chili Peppers

Finally I liked 13 by Black Sabbath. I don’t think critics were too harsh, but I know a lot of fans hated on it. Hard

25. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

ummagumma studio side.
    never cared for the live side.
    :pleased:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.