Critique This Please (my planned system)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Still, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Still

Still Well-Known Member Thread Starter

If I buy my suggested system it will set me back $11,500. For me that is a large investment and from my experience selling used equipment does not net what you think it will once you count your time and effort and shipping. Buying used is an option as well of course. So $ is why. And even though I expect the system to evolve with me, I like the idea of investing wisely and possibly buying equipment that I might not want to part with even if I upgrade... to provide variety.

2. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

From my viewpoint getting the speakers and amplification right is the first step. The Harbeth's look good. I had a PrimaLuna power amp. At 35wpc they tended to poop out at higher volumes. I also recently owned the Parasound A21 amp. There was plenty of power but there was also something lacking in my mind.

I sold the A21 and purchased the McIntosh MC152 amp. There is now a more solid bass in my system. It's better you buy in steps and get it right the first time rather than waste precious money.

The FRiNgE and Still like this.
  3. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Appears to me you have researched your options well. I am equally impressed by some of the responses. Being that I am a dinosaur who loves the vintage stuff, this discussion is a learning experience for me, and inspired to update myself on the fine new equipment available out there.

I feel there is sensibility in a matching pre-amp/ amp combo, ie: power amp sensitivity match to the pre out, and I think worthy of a fine turntable.
    Your room dimensions should bring out the best in your system.

4. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

IMO the Decware ZMA is by far the best amp you have listed. It is a real dual mono with all high end parts including beeswax caps, stepped attenuator, rectification, etc., etc. with a better circuit design that mimics SET even order harmonics, zero negative feedback (unlike the Raven Audio which uses feedback and is not a dual mono), lifetime warranty and made in the USA but you probably know this already as you're a Decware owner.

The ZMA more closely resembles an integrated amp than a standard amplifier as it comes standard with one set of RCA inputs, but a second set of balanced inputs can be added as an option and since it comes with stepped attenuator it has volume control, so no preamp is needed. So you only need to add a phono stage (ZP3) and your good to go. If you have more than 2 sources you can get a Decware Zen Switch Box.
    The Harbeth P3esr are too small for your room and (IMO way overpriced for what you get :hide:), but I like your thinking about the Rythmik subs as they are some of the best subs I've ever heard. If you want to stick with tubes you should be looking at speakers that are more easier to drive such as Audio Note on the higher end and Omega, Zu Audio, Tekton on the mid to lower end pricing or if you like open baffles the Pure Audio Project Treo15 Voxativ are pretty amazing (though all of those can be driven easily with your Torii and even a 2 watt Zen Triode).

5. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

And some of us enjoy improving the experience.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  6. Still

Still Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Beowulf, you may well be correct on this one. But I must put the amp in the context of the system as a whole, in particular, the speakers. A fellow member who has the c7es3 did not feel that a 30 watt tube amp did the trick in a similar sized room, so I am not confident that 40 watts would suffice. I truly wish is would though, as I think that is where the magic is.

It has been recommended to me to pair the Harbeths with the Rogue Cronus Magnum II, which after careful consideration makes logic, especially given the price, and has me bent on that exact track. On paper, this combination looks good and I think I would be pleased with the pairing.

Has anyone else heard this combination?

Still

The FRiNgE likes this.
  7. Helom

Helom Forum member

If I was forced to buy any system without an audition, I think I'd take my chances on the Harbeths with either the Raven or the Rogue.

8. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'd get bored with the music if I didn't change/upgrade equipment from time to time.

Tim 2 likes this.
  9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I hear you. In the 54 years of my existence, I've only owned 3 home systems, (not including my parents big ass cabinet). Now car stereos, I lost count there....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.