Croft integrated phono stage vs. external

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Shiver, Mar 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident Thread Starter

Considering a Croft integrated amp, and further considering between the line and phono version.

Really pleased with my current iFi phono stage – sound and flexibility – and would default to sticking to this, but users seem to rate the Croft internal one highly.

Specific question is has anyone been able to compare the Croft integrated (or equivalent Micro 25 pre) phono to any particular external stages?

(Using a DL-110 at present which the Croft should handle. Not sure of the next cart/upgrade. May go LOMC then it’s iFi vs Croft/SUT.)

Thanks in advance!

Rob

2. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

I have an Edwards Audio MC1 which blew away the phono stage on my old NAD 1000 preamp on first audition. Suddenly, the NAD phono stage sounded slow and plodding.

When it came to time to replace the NAD pre, I auditioned the Croft Micro 25 preamp that I now own and its internal phono stage just blew away the MC1.

The MC1 is still great, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a separate phono preamp, but the Croft just digs stuff out of the grooves in such a musical and rhythmical way and makes vinyl sound wonderfully like ............. vinyl. Even rough old 7" singles suddenly acquired loads of life and detail that I hadn't realised was there and the whole experience transported me back to my earlier vinyl days of the 1970s when it was just a joy to listen to music rather than analysing the music and the sound to the nth degree.

For information, my turtable is a Thorens TD166 Mark 6 and my cartridge is a Goldring G1042 MM cartridge, which I love.

Shiver and Thorensman like this.
  3. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I,m unable to help, but started a thread yesterday. Your thread interests me as i also use the IFI and my previous was a Leak point 1 fully rebuilt with external power supply.
    A colleague has the same Leak Stereo 20 as myself, and He uses a Croft Super Micro fully rebuilt by Glen Croft.
    The IFI sounds better than the Leak. The micro was also better than Leak mainly because it had more gain on phono . Unable to judge more because of the speaker set up which differed from mine
    So I am considering a micro. I would send it off to Glen Croft anyway just to make sure its working st its best. Which is another plus point. He is very prompt at responding to emails .

The IFI is better than many believe. This is the main issue here. The bass is punchy, there is great body to the sound of voices, and it is very adjustable!
    I suspect the Croft is the better. By a small margin. Good luck!

Shiver likes this.
  4. Thorensman

You touched a nerve sotosound. Yes i remember those days when vinyl was a joy to listen to. Funny how a valve phono does this!
    Buying an Elton John album rushing home to play it. Being blown away by the Moody Blues "question of Balance"
    Oddly I have regressed, by buying an old thorens td 150 stock arm and v15 mk3. Through an IFI phono and Leak amps give me such joy compared to the analytical sound of my more expensive mc set up. A lesson to learnt here!
    A croft will probably finish it. Off nicely. Cheers, Thor

BuddhaBob likes this.
  5. Shiver

Interesting responses - thanks guys.

I've only been listening to vinyl (and hifi more seriously) for the past few years so have no nostalgic frame of reference, but have moved from a default 'accuracy' approach to appreciating things (also) delivering on a more visceral level. If that's what the Croft's phono stage does it's encouraging. Unfortunately no Croft dealers within reasonable distance to run through a demo, but I'll look at options...

Anyone else please chime in!

IanL likes this.
  6. Thorensman

To be honest the story i heard was that Eminence Audio were handling Croft. Glen croft was not happy with them( they were overcharging in his opinion, especially the upgrades. A few have told me this and to deal with him direct.
    So it will be hard to find a dealer. Assuming you wish to listen first before buying, and that you want to buy new.
    I shall buy 2nd hand and sent to him to service/upgrade, which means buying without audition, alas something that's becoming commonplace.

7. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I have been using Croft valve (tube) amplifiers (pre/power and head amplifier) for more than 20 years and can report that Croft gear sounds excellent and is reliable. Only last year I had a problem with one of the power amplifiers, so I sent an email to Glen Croft explaining exactly what was happening. He asked me to take a photo of the underside of the amp so that he could mark where the problem was, I duly sent it. He replied asking if I was good with a soldering iron and I said I was. He sent back the photograph marking exactly the part that had to be replaced and he gave me the part number. I went to our local RS Parts shop here, bought the part (about €2), soldered it in and low and behold I was back in action. How about that for service.

I was on a constant upgrading kick for years until I heard the Croft amplifiers, when I did I was blown away by the sound, so much so that I got off the 'upgrading' kick and just started to buy more vinyl and began to enjoy listening again. If you can at all I would certainly try to get to hear a Croft.

JG

Helom, IanL, Shiver and 2 others like this.
  8. Thorensman

Thanks James. With recommendation like that i will go for one. I have colleagues who spend,spend and spend and they still are not happy. Makes you think does it not? Cheers, john

9. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

If you get the phono version and keep the iFi phono, you can run two tables easily. It's really nice to have a table with a more forgiving sounding cartridge for used record finds. If you only play new LP's, this may be less of a concern.

TheeGory and Shiver like this.
  10. Shiver

Yeah I think I'd have to buy (new) without auditioning to be honest. Not something I like to do but looking where the dealers are it would - bottom line - cost me more to get there (plus time) than I'd probably lose if I sold the thing on if not pleased with it - which from everything I've read/heard I'm really not expecting. Nor is there much else that interests me. Again looking tin to options...

11. Shiver

That's just class. How very cool.

What is it about the sound that does it for you?

12. Shiver

Hadn't considered that. Sounds an appealing idea but really wouldn't have to space to accommodate that!

13. James Glennon

I had been using a Naim pre/power combination with a Linn LP12 Ittok/Karma and I found the sound detailed and analytical but very thin and fatiguing, I was striving to keep the detail but wanted a fuller more musical and involving sound and the Croft had that in spades. With my previous amps I could only listen in short bursts but when I got the Croft I could listen all day to it. About a year after buying the Croft Super Micro A preamp and the Croft Series 4 power amp, I got an opportunity to buy a second Croft Series 4 power amp and I mono'ed them. It was probably the worst deal the hifi retailer ever did with me because I stopped upgrading after that for about 20 years when I went back to him and bought new speakers.

JG

IanL and Shiver like this.
  14. Shiver

Excellent stuff. Presume you use the phono stage in the preamp, and had a chance to compare it to anything else?

15. James Glennon

Actually I remember now that the hifi dealer was playing the Croft preamp into a Naim 250 power amp and that was what impressed me. When I heard the Croft preamp into the Croft Series 4 power amp, done deal! I didn't try out any other preamps because the sound I had been striving for was there. Obviously way back in 1990 valve amps weren't really the thing and I though I was taking a big chance buying one, the obvious questions arose... how often will I have to replace the valves, where will I get replacements and so on. I took a leap of faith and bought the Croft and have never regretted one moment.

JG

Shiver likes this.
  16. Shiver

I managed to get a home loan/trial on a line integrated... and am damn-well keeping the thing! Incredible. Decided line for various reasons (and it's sounding fantastic with the iFi) and went with the single volume pot option.

Thing Fish and IanL like this.
  17. James Glennon

What exactly did you get?

JG

18. Shiver

A line integrated amp - line as opposed to phono.

Thorensman likes this.
  19. James Glennon

What make and model?

JG

20. Shiver

Sorry if not clear James - Croft Line Integrated amplifier... that's all it's called! The one currently on sale - as in not any potential older models.

21. James Glennon

I just checked Croft website and it describes it thus...

The Croft Line Integrated amplifier is a Series 7 amplifier but with a passive line stage. If you are no longer running a turntable this would be a possible option for you.

ENJOY!

JG

cporcp and Shiver like this.
  22. Shiver

Thanks James, and most certainly am/will!

23. Thorensman

I must get one of these ! Super micro perhaps. Every one who has heard this pre amp keeps it!

24. Shiver

You won't find me discouraging you!

25. James Glennon

Well, did you ever venture into the world of Croft?

JG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.