Cronus Magnum II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CARPEYOLO, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yohimeys

yohimeys Member

In the memory of that guy who played moses in the 10 commandments...... yull have to pry my magnum from my dead hands!

2. yohimeys

yohimeys Member

I used a 1/2 inch small wrench with no problems, that darn right side is harder than the left.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Isn't Elkhart, Indiana where Crown International is located? Crown is now a division of Harman International IIRC. I have my Crown DC 300A, which gave me some serious hum when I last connected it a few years ago and is now in storage. I think it probably has a bad transformer due to age but it can cost me an arm and a leg to fix it ...

[​IMG]

4. yohimeys

yohimeys Member

Yeah, Crown is still in Elkhart, i live walking distance from it.
    Address: 1718 W Mishawaka Rd, Elkhart, IN 46517
    Phone:(574) 294-8000

5. coopmv

Thanks. I should copy and paste this info into my address book. Speaking of vintage amps, Crown made quite a name for itself back in the 70's and part of the 80's before it exited the consumer market to focus on the commercial market and subsequently was bought out by Harman International ...

6. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Still a happy CMii user here. It just gets the "tone" right imo. Until i can upgrade to Rogue separates or maybe some Quicksilver mono 120 or silver88 monoblocks, staying put...

7. coopmv

Is there a tape loop on the CMii?

8. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Specs from their website:

- General Features and Specifications:

- 100 WPC
    - 20Hz-30KHz bandwidth
    - 4 and 8 ohm transformer taps
    - Slow start turn on sequencing
    - Massive high storage linear (!) power supply
    - (2) 12AX7, (3) 12AU7, (4) KT120 output tubes
    - Gold plated RCA inputs
    - Gold plated binding posts
    - Machined aluminum faceplate
    - 4 inputs (phono, line 1,2,3)
    - 44 dB gain phono input +/- 0.1 dB 20Hz - 20KHz
    - 1W Headphone amplifier
    - Remote with volume and mute
    - Buffered variable outputs (great for subwoofers)! - Active outputs for subwoofer or biamping
    - 4 RCA inputs (phono, line1, line 2, line3)- All precision components
    - Heavy (2 ounce) copper circuit board
    - Full tube cage/cover (optional)
    - Fully tested, burned-in, and auditioned
    - Detachable IEC power cord
    - 18" W x 17"D X 5.5" H (actual)
    - 25" W x22"D X 11" H x 55 LBs (shipping dimensions)
    - power requirements: 120V/240V - 50/60Hz
    - Entirely designed and hand built in the US

9. coopmv

Thanks. Looks like this integrated does not work for me ...

I want to be able to connect at least one tape deck to it.

theron d likes this.
  10. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I run my RT 909 deck into the Cronus Magnum with no problems.

11. coopmv

You probably only play but do not record through your RT 909, is that right?

12. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

No I record vinyl to tape. I run the output of my phono pre into the 909 then the output of the 909 into the Rogue for monitoring.

When not recording I run direct from the phono to Rogue.

13. coopmv

There are a few integrated's on the market with a single tape loop, which is sufficient for me since I have a dbx tape router that can accommodate the second tape deck, though none of the integrated's are tube. The work-around is too much for me since my study/computer room does not have much room around the equipment rack area.

14. yohimeys

yohimeys Member

No sir, there is no tape loop inside the cronus magnum or magnum 2 I use a line level aux to connect my RTR to TT or CD player to record to tape. Equalizers need not apply here!

15. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It can work. It has a fixed level output (use that as tape out) and a variable output (for a sub or another power amp). Then connect your tape player output to the aux input. So while there is no traditional tape loop with the traditional tape monitor switch, you do have the ability to send source outputs to your tape deck. What you cannot do is monitor the decks output at the same time when the deck is connected full time like this as you need to use the source selector to select the tape players output. The work around there is as bajed states and connect your source directly to the tape record inputs and monitor through the amps aux input. This is really the best way to record as it eliminates both an interconnect and any switches and circuit paths inside of any amplifier. In short, it is the most direct and pure path for both applications, recording and playback.
    -Bill

bajaed likes this.
  16. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

My CM fragged itself. Blew the main fuse so I replaced it and it blew immediately. Anyway, I need to send it to Rogue for repairs. They said I could upgrade to the CMII for $600. I probably won't but it is certainly a generous offer. I may consider moving to a Sphinx for heat reasons. I don't know what failed but hey, that stuff happens. I am curious what failed however. My dinky little NAD 320BEE is no Cronus Magnum, but it suffices for now.

17. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

These resale value difference between a used CM and CMII is about 500-600 so it might be worthwhile to go for it.

18. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I will be doing the upgrade at some point.

19. yohimeys

yohimeys Member

Wow, that sucks, i got a cronus magnum kt-120 type, not the 2 version, yeah man the amp runs hot, it is biased so heavily in class a that 90% or more of the time listening to music it dont switch , hence the liquidity and good stuff it makes happen. I did one change for the better, i rolled the preamp tube to a mil spec jan tube, after a couple of weeks it really sounded more like a more expensive brand of amp. like arc or c.j... tube though, not s.s. side. Wondering did you check the bias of each output tube to see if they were 35 mv? you probably did, but if you didnt it could have caused a problem, if it has too much voltage in a tube, in that case the amp would just be trying to save its own life by blowin that fuse. I think you would have a hard time finding a better sounding amp for the same money though. Also if you have 4 ohm , power hungry speakers like B&W or electrostatics and such you might need to open up the unit to change green 8 ohm to yellow 4 ohm wires to the red taps, you need a 1/2 inch small wrench for the right side if you do this. I am pretty sure the sphinx will not deliver the musical goods like the cronus does, it just a cheaper compromise , hybrid solution to achieving a more tube like sound you already got in spades. Now if you send it to rogue, it will be 100% a-ok when you get it back, and it will out preform the sphinx period! Or a yamaha as-1000 hybrid . ive listened to all 3 amps and the cronus trounces them in musical goods delivery. My advice is from extensive listening to various amps, the sphinx sounds very good, so does the yamaha as-1000 , but after a long while you will notice the top end is as sweet as tubes , but the all important midrange just dont fit seemlessly (musically) to the top end, the brain is smart and it figures it out as a simulation like sound, not coherent , lacking that whole milk taste if you will, 1% milk watered down is still good but..... it aint whole milk.Be careful here a lot of people sell off amps and such only to regret it later. Good luck on your journey, hope you are happy whatever you end up doing.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  20. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I'll add my 2 cents here for any future researchers who come across this thread. I owned the CM1 and upgraded that to the CM2. Both are excellent units but the 2 is better in every way. My most recent discovery is the upgraded headphone amp. I have a nice headphone setup using a Schiit Valhalla 2 and some Sennheiser HD600's. I gotta say the CM2 headphone amp keeps up with the Schiit in every way. Now yes the Schiit has that tube sound which I can cater to whatever mood I'm in simply by swapping out tubes. But the CM2 sounds just as good but in a solid state sort of way. Bass is more present with the CM2 and the clarity is a bit more open in terms of airiness and depth. Quite nice. Hard to believe I have ignored it all these years!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    GoldprintAudio and theron d like this.
  21. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Forum Resident

Any tube suggestions?

22. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

When I had my Cronus Magnum I, I found that the center preamp 12AU7 had the most control over the sound. I preferred some RCA Command Black Plate 5814's in the pre slot. The Command version of that tube always produced a beautiful 3-D, Holographic Image that was "spooky" good.

hi_watt and innocent_bystander like this.
  23. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I have a few suggestions. The first switch I made from the stock tubes was after talking to some guys here and then advice from Brent Jesse:

I put a pair of General Electric 12ax7 in the front and three RCA 12AU7A Clear Tops across the back. The sound got way big with this change. Suddenly the vocals were 10 feet high rather than 6 and they became somewhat holographic. I mean this in a very good way. The bass improved just a bit in terms of tightening up, which I prefer and the highs also improved a bit by taking on some of that holographic-ness but the better term would probably be airiness. They seem to float and linger a bit more than the stock tubes. No real effect on the mid-range that I could pick up. Overall for the 200.00 I spent with BJ I was happy. Now that said the next change was even more spectacular. Read on if you dare ;-)

So I went with the above changes for 6 months and thoroughly enjoyed my music. I swapped the stock tubes back once to confirm that what I was hearing was in fact true and an upgrade in quality to my ears. But then I came across the Rogue owners and their love for the NOS Mullard CV4004. Well after researching and reading all the great things these guys wrote of course I had to buy a Mullard. So I reached out to Upscale Audio for some advice. I ended up purchasing a single NOS Mullard cv4003 for that center AU7 spot on the Cronus. That spot will have the most effect on your sound and save you some cash. I also purchased the Cifte 12Au7 because I mentioned I was a detail freak and the guy at Upscale said I simply had to hear this tube. I put the Cifte in first. Well let me tell you this tube is simply unbelievable. I thought my Cronus was as detailed as it could get. I was VERY happy with the GE and RCA tubes from above and the level of detail and airiness they provided. Well the Cifte takes that level and smashes it. I could not believe my ears. The best part was the detail was still tube sounding and did not morph into a solid state tube amp. If detail is your thing then this tube is a must buy. There are not many of these left. Upscale noted they were lucky to get this last carton FWIW.

So back to the Mullard. I swapped out the Cifte after 1 day and the Mullard was everything everyone claimed it to be, very tube like and syrupy. The mid range on my system sang like never before. Vocals are lifelike and certain instruments just seem to come alive. That said, it is not my favorite as the level of detail dropped considerably but I have left it in for the last month just to see if I change my mind. Don't get me wrong there is plenty of detail with the Mullard but it serves a different function than the new love of my life, the Cifte. That tube sits in my drawer begging to come out and it will have its chance very soon.

Well I hope that helps someone.

:)

24. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

In my system the Mullards (the CV 4004 that is) was just too dark, and rolled off. Telefunkens (smooth or ribbed plate) and some Siemens (Chrome Plates) would give me everything you describe as the Cifte would.

I found the RCA, 3 Mica, Blackplates (Command) to be a sound combining the best of the Mullard and the Telefunkens/Siemens. Very nice detail on top, yet very smooth, excellent full midrange, but not too muddy, with a firm lower end. A good balance if you will.

All of which is very system dependent of course;)

25. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Forum Resident

Thanks for suggestions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.