Crosby/Clooney-"Fancy Meeting You Here": Recommended?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guy incognito, Jun 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

I noticed this one on sale at Borders the other night (2001 reissue w/bonus tracks). I'm not familiar with the album, but the combination of Bing, Rosie, and Billy May sounds intriguing.

Is it worth picking up, and how does the reissue sound?

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Seriously, nine years and not a single response????

Well, I'll chime in, in case anybody else stumbles upon this thread. I've had the CD (The RCA/Bluebird release) since it came out, and thought the CD sound was clear and bright, almost clinical (but not quite). Pleasant, but a little aggressive. Now, that said, today I picked up an early RCA Victor stereo LP, and was very disappointed with the sound, which strikes me as going way too far in the opposite direction: Dull and lifeless. The music is still a total hoot (I really like this album), but the LP, sonically, was surprisingly unattractive to me.

Anybody have the mono LP? How's the sound?

McLover, serge and DLant like this.
  3. Michael Manning

Michael Manning Forum Resident

I was just talking about this LP and CD earlier tonight and I completely agree with everything you said. The song choices and arrangements are great but sonically but the LP and CD are lacking. Rosie's country album on RCA Victor, and mostly recorded in Nashville at RCA Studio B sounds amazing on my original Living Stereo LP. Wish someone would reissue it on a single CD without having to get the Bear Family box set to get it.

McLover and MLutthans like this.
  4. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I have both the mono and stereo LPs, I've never heard any CD versions. The mono LP sounded good to me, I haven't heard either in years. I also have a reissue on RCA Camden that sounded better to me than the original stereo LP did. It's missing a few tracks though.

MLutthans likes this.
  5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

George C., Mr. H and MLutthans like this.
  6. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

7. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

One of my favorite albums! I only have the reissued CD, but would like to find a mono copy. Bing, Rosie, Billy have a swinging good time.

8. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

They sang very well together - their voices and personalities complemented one another, and this album is a good example of that.

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i didn't even know david and george sang together.

10. MLutthans

I stumbled upon and then purchased and odd pressing of this LP today. It's a 1977 RCA USA re-issue that uses the original artwork, including the 1958 "LIVING STEREO" banner across the top and the original LSP catalog number. The rear cover is slightly altered, with different typesetting and the change from 1958 to 1958/1977. I'm very curious to get home later and check out the mastering quality. (Can't be any worse than the LP that I mentioned in post #2 of this thread.)

(Below is a photo from Ebay of a pressing just like the one I picked up today.)
    $_57-112.JPG

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    DLant likes this.
  11. MLutthans

12. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

It's a fun album for sure. If you want to snag it on the cheap, it's included in one of the Rosemary Clooney EU '8 Classic Album' package, which I'm going to assume is probably a direct rip of the RCA/Bluebird CD.

Either way, it's a great listen.

The above 70's pressing is an oddity for sure. I'm wondering what brought that one out of the racks to get a repress. Maybe the Bing Crosby 50th anniversary celebration, perhaps? That was when Rosie began her legitimate comeback to statured artist.

13. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

1977 RCA USA re-issue I have, not a very good pressing at all (terrible) If I see a 50s original I'll get it>

sean

14. MLutthans

On a related note: I came across a sealed stereo copy of their 1964 Travelin' Two Beat LP tonight, so snagged it. Haven't listened yet.

bozburn and DLant like this.
  15. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I have a NM 80s green label copy. It's been a while since I've listened to it, so I may pull it out and listen this weekend.

16. scoredaddy

scoredaddy Forum Resident

i LOVE this album: great singing, wonderful arrangements, and one of my favorite covers!!

sunspot42 and SixtiesGuy like this.
  17. MLutthans

I played this today. Beautifully mastered, very quiet surface, but does anybody know where this was recorded?

George C. and DLant like this.
  18. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident

Add me to this album's big fans. Love it! I have the 1977 vinyl reissue and the 2001 Bluebird CD. Agree that the CD is the better one out of these options.

Talking about CD versions, there are two or three others out there (Japanese mostly). Then there is this licensed twofer on Taragon Records (to which I have not listened):

[​IMG]

Actually, his death. He passed away on October 17. By mid-November, word got out in the press that, due to "increased costumer interest following Crosby's death," RCA had "stepped up manufacturing orders" of this album:

[​IMG]

Apparently in attempt to further cash in, while the body was still warm (well, more or less so), RCA also scheduled the reissue of Fancy Meeting You Here for December of 1977.

At the Capitol Tower. I do not know which studio, though. (The RCA album: at Radio Recorders, per the info on its back cover.) Both albums had the same producer (Simon Rady).

As much as I love Fancy Meeting You Here = as little as I like That Travelin' Two Beat. I find it hugely disappointing, alas.

19. MLutthans

Great post; thank you.
    One follow up for you, regarding Travelin' Two-Beat:
    Do you have a reference for this?

20. Ridin'High

Yep: one of Rosie Clooney's Bear Family boxes.

21. MLutthans

Hmmmmm.....not aimed at you, as I have nothing but respect for you and your great posts around here, but call me skeptical as to the studio, I guess. FWIW, the official CD release of Bing & Satchmo (with Billy May) says it was recorded at Capitol, but it was done at United, and Bing had a major man-crush on Bill Putnam, as I'm sure you know.

Sorry to be a "doubting Thomas," but thanks for the reply! :agree:

22. MLutthans

Do we know the scoop on this photo?
    Bing-and-Rosie-14.jpg

23. Ridin'High

I think that the man on the piano is Bob Thompson?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

If that's the case, then we could be looking at a photo from one of the sessions for this LP:

[​IMG]

According to the discography in the Rosemary Clooney box, she and Bing recorded their numbers on July 23 and 24, 1959, at United. Thompson is listed as the leader on both dates; Buddy Cole is listed only on the first date.

Thanks for that. Did not know about the Bing & Satchmo situation; interesting.

If the choice is between what you are hearing and what the Bear Family discography says, I'm actually more inclined to trust your ears. Would be great if photos from the session turned up; I am not aware of any. Maybe some big Bing experts out there know more?

The discographical information on the Bear Family box does look authoritative. Full, extensive personnel is listed for these dates, along with Capitol session numbers and not just the days, but also the hours of each given day. Still, we can't discard the possibility of someone taking for granted that these sessions took place at the Tower, and filling a blank accordingly. Even if the Tower is actually mentioned in official Capitol documentation, the Bing & Satchmo example that you gave is a good indication of why we can never be entirely trusting ... So, being doubtful or skeptical is most certainly a healthy thing in this case!

24. MLutthans

I'm waaaaaaaaaaay too skeptical for my own good sometimes!

I've heard Travelin' Two-Beat exactly one time, and that was yesterday, but the second I heard the vocals, I thought, "Where was this recorded?" I'll add that 1.) Those Bear Family notes sound pretty detailed; 2.) I certainly could be flat-out wrong; and 3.) It's possible, too, that if Rosemary and Bing recorded their vocals at different sessions, requiring, assumedly, another generation of tape (since we're talking 3-track tape, and just a single vocal "pass" would fill the available vocal track), then maybe the generational losses are causing at least some of the difference in sound that I'm hearing.

We may never know! I have no concrete reason to argue with the Bear Family notes, especially if they are well-detailed. It just sounds "off" to me.

25. Joe Lopez

Joe Lopez Forum Resident

The Wikipedia article on Travelin' Two Beat indicates that the vocals were indeed recorded separately (citing as reference a biography of Rosemary Clooney). Apparently, Crosby was recorded first and Clooney's vocals were recorded later. Unfortunately, the article doesn't indicate where the record was recorded.

That Travelin' Two-Beat - Wikipedia

sunspot42 and MLutthans like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.