CROSBY & NASH-appreciation. Whistling down the wire...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

it was they added 2 songs

RockRoom likes this.
  2. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Missed the window...wish they'd give us 24 hours anyway....or forever! Why not. Other forums do.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Right. That shouldn't even count!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Crosby-Nash is my favorite incarnation of CSNY. Just love them. The 1972 "Crosby/Nash" album and "Whistling Down The Wire" are amazing highlights in the vast CSNY catalog to me. I find "Wind on the Water" weaker in comparison because for some reason Nash was batting almost zero on this one, while on the other hand, Crosby has never been better - ever. It's like Crosby stole all the magic for this album and left Nash dry. I have yet to hear my unopened comeback album from 2004. Just waiting for the call.

p.s. the live "Deja-Vu" on the 1977 concert cd is one of their absolute peaks.

RockRoom likes this.
  5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Recently needle-dropped my promo pressing of the green "Best Of Crosby-Nash". Nice record, good to have it on cd(r) and my iTunes now...

6. bluerondo

bluerondo Forum Resident

Yes! This is my absolute favorite of them all, though I own and love all the rest. "Whistling Down the Wire" is a personal favorite too, because of what was going on in my life when it came out and how it meshed with some things I was going through. Both are very introspective, which is one of several reasons why I love them. I have an essay on the GN/DC album that I copied and pasted into a Word doc back in the day, and I was going to add a link to it but couldn't find it on the Internet and I'm at work right now.

yesstiles and RockRoom like this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Totally respect your opinion & agree with half of it! The Croz was, indeed, on fire for Wind On The Water

For me though, so was Nash. All five of his contributions, I reckon, are right up there with his best work. Add four or five of the better songs on the Stills album from '75 and we would have had a CSN double album made in heaven.

The 2004 collaboration is definitely worth a listen. It's a lot to take in, in one sitting though.

Matthew Tate and Grow Fins like this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

weird that that one and still stills have never been on CD anywhere in the world.

although, as far as i know, the first crosby*nash has never had a domestic release yet.

Matthew Tate and Chris Schoen like this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

carlwm likes this.
  10. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have a nice first pressing of that one too. Johnny's Garden is sublime.

11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

pbuzby likes this.
  12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

You can get Stills' Stills album on a threefer with Illegal Stills and Thoroughfare Gap from BGO records.

13. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

I also did a 'review' of the first Crosby/Nash LP if interested.

"Frozen Smiles"-Graham Nash and David Crosby's Debut LP | Talk From The Rock Room

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no no no not the "75 stills (with the cleveland browns jersey) but his greatest hits called 'still stills".

the '75 'stills' has 'turn back the pages' and "as i come of age' and 'myth of sisyphus"

carlwm and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

You mean the one that's basically a compilation of two albums (the debut Stephen Stills and Manassas albums)? :cool:

16. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

Nice to see this thread pop up just now. I've been listening to CSNY 1974 in the car recently, and it made me dig out my Crosby/Nash and Wind on the Water LPs. Wonderful records. I just love that dreamy state that many of these songs take you to. Will be revisiting them again this weekend!

RockRoom and zebop like this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Ah. I see. Mea culpa!

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yes.

19. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I think reading some of your posts inspired me to get the CSN boxed set, which I thank you for! It is excellent and so playable. Just curious, what do you think of Crosby's last 4 albums? I saw he just released one yesterday . 4 in 4 years. Remarkable.

Matthew Tate, carlwm and Chrome_Head like this.
  20. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I finally got the CSN 4-Cd box last year, the 2013 remaster. Indispensable listening, sounds phenomenal.

carlwm likes this.
  21. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Interesting, is that the same box as the 1991 but with new mastering? Any idea how the 2013 compares to the 1991 mastering? I find the 1991 mastering to be excellent and am skeptical as hell about anything with the word "remastered" on it, particularly on CD.

Mooserfan likes this.
  22. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I’m curious about this as well!

john lennonist likes this.
  23. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I recently discovered the live album from 77 and it blew me away. I find it strange that to me at least the CSN album sounds a bit dull while the two of them were on fire around that period, even if the well was running dry for Stills.

I need to revisit the 2004 album as well based on this thread, I own it but it never connected

Matthew Tate and yesstiles like this.
  24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

crosby has been nothing less than amazing the last few years.

there is not a clunker in the bunch on those four albums, very listenable from beginning to end and quite an enjoyable listen as well.

25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

RockRoom and lemonade kid like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.