Crosley question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VinylNewbie, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I have a Dual 1219 three speed,and a Dual 1249 two speed that both need work,I would let go cheap if someone can suggest a price.I will even toss in a new Shure M97 cartridge.Cosmetically in nice shape,but with the usual dust cover issues.

2. VinylNewbie

VinylNewbie New Member Thread Starter

Sorry for the late reply. Got rid of the crosley, considering an LP120 but looking around for other models as well. You're absolutely sure that needle won't kill my 78's?

3. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

I don't think it would, it only tracks between 2-4 grams, as long as it's being played at the correct speed there should be no problems. Certainly much better than the Crosley.

4. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Glad to hear you got rid of the Crosley. Regarding the LP120: the stylus that comes with the included cartridge is too small to properly play a 78, and while it won't harm a 78rpm record, I think that you wouldn't want to use it for vinyl after you used it for 78s. It's better to get the correct stylus for 78s, so you may have to save up some money for it.

5. VinylNewbie

6. JNK

JNK Well-Known Member

Since that doesn't have a 78 setting, I'd go with the AT-LP120.

7. VinylNewbie

True, I'm willing to give up the 78 RPM feature if it means better quality for my 33s and 45s. Plus as of right now I do not have any 78s.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  8. JNK

JNK Well-Known Member

The AT-LP120 has the tonearm tracking force adjustment as well, and it takes standard carts.

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Leetak= Junk in any language the world over.

11. JNK

JNK Well-Known Member

Honestly, just seeing that kinda sickens me. Those poor Chinese kids in the sweatshops being forced to slap these crummy 'tables (and other stuff) together );

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

At least you now know where these come from now, JNK

13. VinylNewbie

Eh...I heard somebody said the LP120 sounded tinny. Technics, as far as I know, is a highly regarded brand, so I'd assume they'd put out the best quality, right?

14. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

In that case, allow me to recommend this that is currently on sale at eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Tec...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item19e5a0ff81

For a vinyl newbie like yourself, this is a pretty bullet-proof turntable: The SL-DD22 is a direct drive table, meaning that it has no belts to wear our, it is a P-mount tonearm which will accept only P-mount cartridges (a minus on some levels, but there are some decent cartridges available), meaning that you don't have to balance or adjust any tonearm settings, nor do you have to worry with stylus azimuth adjustments when installing a new cartridge: just remove the set screw from the arm, pull the old cartridge straight out, put the new one in, and replace the set screw. There was a better one online earlier (no broken tab on the dust cover) but it looks like it sold already. I've had one of these tables since 1987, and it plays perfectly.

15. JNK

JNK Well-Known Member

Never heard that one, before 0_o

16. VinylNewbie

I'll check it out. Is there a method for me to hook it up to my laptop for recording?

17. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I think everybody knew these were made in China,but most people,myself included,did not know who did make them.

18. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Yes, the easiest (and cheapest) way is to get a phono stage that will also output to your computers USB port. Behringer U-Control is one such device and it sells for around $30. There are others, at all different price levels, but I know you're on a tight budget so I looked for a cheap one that should do the trick, though I haven't used one myself.

19. VinylNewbie

Awesome, gonna add that to my list. Thanks.

20. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

I had that similar turntable a few years ago. I didn't look at the details, but there should also be phono cables and a ground cable that should come with the table. If it's not with the kit, then the phono cable is easy to get at Radio Shack. The ground cable and connection is a pin connector, you can use a M/M alligator clip cable to connect ground. Something like this...again you can get this at Radio Shack: http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70188522

21. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

are you planning to collect 78s or something? Unless you are into pre-1950s music, I wouldn't worry too much about 78rpm...

Jrr likes this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You know, when we were kids and had an interest in vinyl most of us were given, or saved up for, a turntable that at least would sound okay....a BIC, a BSR...whatever. At least the majority of affordable turntables were, in fact, turntables. They could make your records sound good enough to light that audiophile spark. And it fostered our interest in good sounding music so most of us went on to become audiophiles...at least I assume so if we are a member of this forum.

A Crosley? My concern is that kids and maybe young adults are only being exposed to vinyl through this kind of turntable....and wait, I refuse to call it that...it's a disc that spins around in a circle at roughly the right speed, give or take a few revolutions a minute...with a stick that holds a piece of metal on the end that tracks the vinyl only because its so heavy that it can almost play both sides at once....and as this may be their only exposure to hearing vinyl, they may never move beyond this and it will simply be a fad. Crosleys do nothing at all to foster the listening of vinyl as far as audio enjoyment goes. A few will move up to better gear, but my fear is that the vast majority will never understand what the fuss (in a good way) of vinyl is all about. Crosley is likely doing more harm than good for the long term vinyl good. I will never forget seeing vinyl at Target sitting next to those Crosley tables. I mean, really? Any crappy cd boom box is going to sound better....what were they thinking? Of course it was a bust for Target!

23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes, I think you are over estimating the 78 thing. I doubt you will ever own one. And yes, Technics for the most part made very decent tables. Many of us own their high end table, the MK 1200's, as we speak! They just recently stopped making them.

24. thommo

thommo Senior Member

This is not necessarily the case. Technics is indeed a well regarded brand, but so is Audio Technica - mainly for their phono cartridges, which suggest they know something about vinyl replay. Some people love their Technics, some prefer the AT, some think that the sound is so close between the two that the AT is a bargain because it's new, under warranty and less expensive.

The LP120 is an extremely competent record player with all the functions, adjustability and sound quality you need. I think there are people using it in the Needledrop thread now. Go and have a listen and see if you think they sound "tinny".

Billy Infinity likes this.
  25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Unfortunately the LP120 does not live up to the companies' other products. Of course it is competent but it is a cheapened SL1200 clone. There is a rattly heavy plate in the bottom to give it a heavy feel. I feel a used SL1200 or other quality DD is a better buy. For belt drive look at lower end modern Rega or Project. I would also suggest a used Thorens 160/166 series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.