Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Really sorry about that, just in from a hard days work:nyah:.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Cut from the same DAT tape, but the SV is a much nicer pressing, why not just buy the BAF CD though?

3. Pastafarian

The needledrop comes from a very good deck etc and having compared it to the B & F CD, I prefer the needledrop. Don't know if it's significant but I got the vinyl first day of release and if I remember correctly number 175

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Fair enough, I assume you don't have the vinyl then?

5. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

The re-recorded Exodus album sounds downright dreadful. Does anyone remember this release from a few years ago? Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend Remixed - Amazon.com Music It was not great. It sounds like they're going for the same thing here with "making the classics sounds like they were recorded today." I actually reviewed Legend Remixed on amazon and called it mediocre (I gave it three stars at the time, but it's probably only a two). Ziggy's remixes are the most tasteful, but still, I don't want him messing with Exodus.

The 2Cd Exodus deluxe from 2001 is essential. It's the only "deluxe" version of this album I need.

6. Pastafarian

Massive change in finances led to sale of deck and lots of vinyl!! At least I wasn't forced to sell all my system:cool:.

7. morgan1098

More info on the Exodus set from Rolling Stone. Some of it sounds promising, such as all the unused original vocal and instrumental takes that Ziggy uncovered. But rather than just using those, he invited in a whole round of new musicians to spice it up. So yes, it sounds like this could end up similar to Legend Remixed. In fact, one of the pre-order options includes a download of a Stephen Marley remix of Exodus that has contributions from Beenie Man, Queen Ifrica, and Tarrus Riley. NOOOO!

Bob Marley & The Wailers Plan Massive 'Exodus' 40th Anniversary Reissues

8. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Im passing on this one for sure

9. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Good to know I won't have to spend any more money on Exodus, I have enough copies.

I'd like to have that unreleased "Keep On Moving", but I guess it will just be the vocal and dub that were on the Deluxe married together?

Some (maybe all) of those live tracks are "new" as well (not on the previous Exodus Deluxe or on the Live! At The Rainbow DVD or anywhere else official), right? I guess rather than release a dedicated Rainbow live release (they could even do a box set, since they seem to have several nights) they are saving the rest of what they have for future Exodus re-releases...

I checked Roots Man Dub (the Heartbeat CD) and there is a dub for the song "Madness", but nothing else from these albums (there are a couple of other dubs to Maytones tracks though).

I don't know if my copy was a mispressing or something, it was beyond bad, I remember it as distorting like crazy in places and levels wobbling around, etc.

I don't think there was any doubt it would be the B&F version since VP are continously re-releasing that material (latest is the Jackie Mittoo compilation where one disc is basically Champion In The Arena).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  10. I read

For "Turn Your Lights Down Low" he assembled musicians to record a new music bed, which provides the song a more prominent R&B sway.

ANATHEMA!!!

crozcat and Kevin55 like this.
  11. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Here's the Ziggy restatement version of One Love/People Get Ready

black sheriff likes this.
  12. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Didn't Lauryn Hill do this back in '99?

13. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

From Rolling Stone: with "One Love" Ziggy found 10 new lead vocal outtakes and the newfound tape featured ad libs as well.

14. Bobby Buckshot

Every day the bucket go a well
    One day the bottom will drop out

JRM, Jimi Bat, Jackie P and 2 others like this.
  15. morgan1098

That's the part that sounded cool. And honestly, that new version in the video link above is kind of interesting with the alternate vocals from Bob himself. But some of the other songs with entirely new musical backing and contributions from the likes of Beenie Man sound awful. :/

16. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, it was a bit of a hit over here (#5 in Sweden), it is on this: Bob Marley - Chant Down Babylon

17. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

I am pretty new to collecting Reggae vinyl, picked these up over the weekend just using a semi-educated guess on the quality of the material;
    Burning Spear-Marcus Garvey (UK- Island)

Burning Spear-Garvey`s Ghost (US -Mango)

Various artists-Dance Hall `63 Featuring King Stitt (Jamaican- Studio One)

Various artists-Better Dub From Sudio One (Jamaican- Studio One)

Yabby You & Michael Prophet meets Scientist at the Dub Station (King Tubbys) (Jamaican-Prophet Records)

Good Reggae vinyl seems really hard to find.
    How did I do ?:pineapple:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The first one is a classic and if it's an older UK Island pressing sounds very good as well, even the modern digitally sourced repress from a couple of years ago is alright.

"Garvey's Ghost" the dub version of above and the original US Mango is a good pressing.

"Dance Hall '63" is actually more like '93 and like most Studio Ones a poor pressing.

One of the better Studio One Dub LPs with "Greedy G", Red and Yellow label US pressing probably has the edge, but none of them are audiophile.

Can't go wrong with Yabby You, nice record getting quite scarce in the wild.

I'd say a pretty good start, B+.:righton:

bmoregnr likes this.
  19. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Cool thanks ! The Burning Spear -Marcus Garvey is a `70s UK pressing and does sound great.

The Jamaican pressings I got were all surprisingly good quality pressings/vinyl and mastering and mostly quiet. Guess I lucked out !
    I did leave behind some badly pitted Jamaican pressings that looked like they would tear my stylus off.

20. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

I will dig mine out later today I remember mine sounding very thin no bass

21. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

And of course the MOFI Exodus :D

morgan1098 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  22. Bobby Buckshot

MoFi Bob would sell out in pre-order faster than that Bill Evans at the Vanguard.

23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Although they didn't sell that fast when they did them in the 1990s.

24. Bobby Buckshot

There was no SH Forums back then. :cool:

If they did them again, claim they're "better" somehow - gravy train.

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

True, but you know they'll just do "Legend" if they want the SH Forums market.;)