Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dang. Been a long time since I listened to this one. Classic Roots.

Sandinista likes this.
  2. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

I have this one: War Ina Babylon + Reconstruction [Low-priced Edition] Max Romeo CD Album

3. ando here likes this.
  4. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think we already discussed it, possibly in another thread, the consensus was it's far too much money for what it is, a nice item if it was at a much lower price.

morgan1098 likes this.
  6. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

7. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

just come across this vintage Mikey Dread Macka B Wailing Souls I-Jah Man Levi on tv 1984 nice

Bobby Buckshot, Dubmart and crozcat like this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think all of those clips come from the BBC programme "Ebony", Mikey Dread's "Pave The Way" was filmed outside and inside the BBC in Whiteladies Road, Bristol, where "Ebony" was based, ten minutes walk from where I lived at the time, as you can imagine I found it rather amusing when I saw it broadcast back then. Channel 4 had their own similar show aimed at the Afro-Caribbean audience called "Black On Black", it also had several Reggae segments, there was an unspoken competition between the two channels. Until the BBC privatised their licensing arm I was able to search their archives and could have got a complete list of what Reggae was shown on "Ebony" and the broadcast dates, unfortunately that's no longer possible except for insiders.

9. BBC also have recordings of live shows that I'd love to get, including a 1982 show of Third World, aie aie aie....

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Anyone featured in a BBC show, a member of the band for example, can ask the BBC for a contributor copy and they will send the person a DVD-R of the show, straight from the master video tape, just get someone from Third World to apply: Can I get a copy of a programme I featured in? - BBC FAQs

Just to add I think when we've done it we had to provide as much info as possible, such as broadcast dates, but back then I was able to search the BBC archives, not sure how it works now, but obviously the BBC can still search their database easily so name of the programme and the year broadcast should be enough. There are also a lot of programmes in their database which we'd previous;y been told were not kept, but the tapes are there.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Lost In The Flood likes this.
  11. thanks a lot, I'll let cat coore know

12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Poison_Flour likes this.
  13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Poison_Flour likes this.
  14. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Maybe they can also work Junjo and Linval into the title somehow. ;)

15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I picked this up in the store today despite being wary of Trojan stuff sometimes sounding a little hot, but through the first disc so far and this is really nice sounding, very natural and un-fussed with. Andy Pearce is credited with the mastering.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Bobby Buckshot and johnnybrum like this.
  16. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Cool, I actually have this on the way to me in the mail right now. :thumbsup: I picked it up along with some other stuff on a Black Friday sale at Juno.

A hot tip I can add is that they have good prices there on the two Cree (Bear Family) releases, Sly & Robbie Present Taxi Gang In Discomix Style 1978-1987 and Doing Our Thing: More Soul From Jamdown 1970-1982, quite a bit cheaper than elsewhere.

bmoregnr and Dubmart like this.
  17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Just ordered the vinyl of "Doing Our Thing" from them, plus a few other things.:oops:

18. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Liner notes from Steve Barrow on the second title. For those interested in what he has been doing since
    B&F expired. It seems to be a sequel to Darker than Blue: Soul From Jamdown 1973-1980 from B&F
    with no overlap.

19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I got the CD, but I guess their price for the LP was good as well (haven't compared that)? I am a quite new customer at Juno, they seem to not keep much stock, things come and go pretty fast, I see the Sly & Robbie CD is now out of stock again.

I think Steve is involved with both. Cree seem to go for the Soul connection.

20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Not massively cheaper than elsewhere for the vinyl, but every pound or two helps, they do seem to be very competitive at the moment, I have used them in the past, I think they sometimes have good clearances, so you may be correct about them not wanting to carry lots of stock.

I tend to buy vinyl first and the CD version later when/if I can afford it, my CD wants list still has lots of those Burning Sounds twofers and a couple of the new Trojans, but they don't disappear or shoot up in price like vinyl can.

21. Poison_Flour

Did anyone purchase the VP version of Horace Andy's In The Light ?

22. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Can only speak to the CD, a digital clone of the Blood and Fire, with the 'original' artwork restored. I have the Blood and Fire and it sounds nice.

23. Poison_Flour

That is great to know

Thankyou

24. For some reason (the artwork might have had something to do with it...), I hadn't listened in depth to "Go Away Dream", Delroy Wilson's album released by Pressure Sounds a few months ago. It is very very very good

Go away dream, by Delroy Wilson

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  25. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Just in case it helps I grabbed the latest Trojan Best of The Skatalites to add some cuts I didn't have more than anything, but also hoping maybe some different mastering was done; but these tracks seem bang on the same as other Trojan compilations I have heard. That is not a bad thing mind you, I am just pointing out for all practical purposes it isn't going to be different sound wise. I notice it just points out "digital post production by" in the liner notes.

Anyway I am looking forward to trying the Best of Dandy Livingstone, which was also an Andy Pearce credit and seems to be a new remastering.