Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Any UK Island press, up to and including the 1987 one, I've never even seen the Japanese press let alone heard it.

2. here are 10 seconds from the vocals of a cover of Gregory Isaacs' "No Speech No Language" that Horace Andy recorded a couple of days ago in Kingston

I know it's been done already (I was the first one to do it with the Roots Radics back in 2000 with the "We Sing Gregory" album) and the idea is totally lacking anything original, but I want to do another Gregory Isaacs tribute album. After all, since I did one with the Radics, I need to do one with Sly & Robbie!

Horace Andy = No Speech

Holowlegs, Dubmart and Wayne Hubbard like this.
  3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

When Horace was working with Alpha, they were obviously running through tracks to record and they rang me up to get the names of a couple of things, so I had Horace singing a Gregory tune down the phone to me, which was somewhat surreal and brilliant.:goodie:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  4. Scooper

Scooper Member

Thanks for the historical information. Here is the supposed Reggae Refresher I found:

Scratch* & The Upsetters - Super Ape

I bought a Simply Vinyl Super Ape a few years ago. It came acutely dishwarped, and because I'd had recent success in flattening some records in my oven with 2 plates of glass on low heat I thought I'd try "cooking" it - it came out still warped and when played the tonearm dancing from side to side like Scratch himself. It was an expensive lesson! I'll continue looking for a decently priced Super Ape.

Hearing Horace down the phone must be the treat of a lifetime. Alpha and Massive Attack with Horace played Nottingham around 1997, it was a great gig. They should get the whole show going on tour again, with Mushroom on the turntables.

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I believe the Germans reissued a few of the Island LPs and stuck Reggae Refreshers stickers on them around 1990, not sure there was anything to identify them as RRs apart from the sticker on the cover, I wasn't really thinking about foreign issues, my suspicion is that the German one is sourced from DAT the same as the Simply Vinyl issue, it probably sounds fine, the Simply Vinyl certainly does, but a seventies or eighties UK copy, any of them, would certainly sound better. I'm not sure where you are located Scooper, but I do see them in local shops probably a couple of times a year for around £30+, but they don't hang around long at all.

Horace singing down the phone was very cool, if somewhat surreal, always loved his voice, even put him on a couple of times, he was great with Massive Attack as well, the nineties were certainly fun.

6. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

random classic :cool:

7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

8. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

I didn’t see this mentioned by Phil Pratt’s Star Wars Dub is pretty great. Despite the Darth Vader-esque cover art it has nothing to do with Star Wars.

Solid record.

Also, Starship Africa is serious spaced out dub. Sherwood is a genius (see also Creation Rebel).

macdaddysinfo and ando here like this.
  9. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Poison_Flour likes this.
  10. zphage and Dubmart like this.
  11. meihyes

meihyes Forum Resident

Happy 70th birthday today!

12. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Hello Guillaume. To your knowledge, were these songs ever released on any of his mid-70's post-Island albums on EMI, Reprise, CBS etc? If not, do you know if they have ever been compiled on compact disc? I'm shocked I've never heard Seven Times Seven or that it has never possibly been compiled.

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That's a good question because they really need compiling and as far as I know they haven't been and even if some of the songs appeared on his albums I don't think they are the same versions, Jimmy also has the missing Aura Lewis and Full experience tracks tucked away hopefully.

14. lukatherfan

lukatherfan Forum Resident

Does this cut off around the 52 minute mark for anyone else?

15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Plays fine for me.

16. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Thank you for your reply. Hopefully someone can get these tracks licensed and compiled directly from Jimmy.

17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I imagine people have tried and Jimmy doesn't need to or want to play ball, he's probably wary after his major label experiences, perhaps Guillaume knows.

18. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Did you ever listen to that Get On Down pressing before it was returned? I have one of them sitting around unopened, it came in a delivery where all the album sleeves had gotten bad damage to one corner, so I have put it aside to trade (thinking having it unopened would still make it a little bit attractive to someone) and have yet to hear it myself. They have done reissues of a few other Island albums (some Toots for example) and also some Virgin/Frontline, and I'm not sure they should be flatly dismissed.

Yes, I understand as much, but why are they also filming it, are the performances also shown on TV, or is it just for the web? Like all the Yard-style performances with Rodigan doing introductions, they look like they're part of something "larger".

To be fair, Discogs is only as reliable as the users make it, similar to Wikipedia. I find it a quite invaluable resource at this point. But there's lots of stuff missing, some of it quite common things that should be there, for example I remember (from previous discussion on this forum) that I could not find all the basic regular UK label variations represented for many of the Marley albums. But that's when it's up to "us" to fill in the blanks (if one has the items in question).

I haven't gotten round to them yet. I'll probably do what I usually do and wait until they go out of print and then hunt them down for exorbitant prices... From what I hear and read they seem to be well put together and if you use Spotify you can preview them there.

We can never have to much Gregory, bring it on! I know they are not everyone's cup of tea, but I quite like the interpretations by modern artists that were on the VP We Remember albums that were made for both Gregory and Dennis. I'm listening to the We Sing Gregory album now, hadn't heard it, nice.

Another Phil Pratt dub album is coming out from Pressure Sounds: Phil Pratt & The Revolutionaries – The War Is On Dub Style
    I have mentioned it earlier, before any official announcements, but I credited it to Bobby Kalaphat in that post (he is on it though).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Lost In The Flood and zphage like this.
  19. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, the first year (2012) was
    broadcast on TV. It was part of the BBC's programs
    celebrating Jamaica's 50th Independence Anniversary.
    The treks to JA have become a tradition since then. I
    have no doubt Rodigan's return to the BBC has something
    to do with that.

The BBC has been putting a focus on its iPlayer platform
    the last few years. Pretty much every radio show is
    videotaped in studio. With clips available shortly
    after broadcast. They also do on location film for
    other shows. There is a '1Xtra In Africa" series
    for "Destination Africa"

I have no idea if these clips make it to TV. I can see them
    being used as filler on BBC4. I think that's the one that
    shows music programming. Someone from the UK want
    to answer that.

20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think all the clips are internet only, I've not seen them being broadcast and even BBC3 was axed from being a proper channel and consigned to the net, I guess it's all about internet content and filming radio studios or overseas trips is a relatively cheap way of building up a library of additional content.

Wayne Hubbard likes this.
  21. I know and would love to do that, of course
    Next time I'm in JA I'll try and talk to Jimmy, but he's hard to get a hold of

macdaddysinfo and Dubmart like this.
  22. been trying to get him interested in that kind of idea...
    hard to get a hold of

macdaddysinfo and Dubmart like this.
  23. Scooper

Scooper Member

I didn't break the seal on the Get On Down Super Ape I briefly possessed. I thought it would reduce my chances of a refund so I left it intact. I'd heard bad things about Get On Down records somewhere - probably on discogs.

24. Scooper

Scooper Member

Dubmart - if you see an old Super Ape in good nick on your travels I'd be grateful to hear where it is and I'll phone the shop and pay for it. I'm in Nottingham but there aren't any proper second hand shops here. There aren't any proper first hand shops either.

Jayman has a tape of a Jah Love Music dance in Bristol with Horace Andy:

http://whocorkthedance.com/ukstylee.html

I went to the Nottingham show in 1999 and it was great. By coincidence I found out that Horace is playing Bristol tomorrow night:

Horace Andy at Thekla (04 Apr 2018)

I'll try and catch him in August if he's over for the Jazz Cafe in that month. Horace missed Nottingham Carnival last year, perhaps he'll make it this year.

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Scooper, next time I see a nice "Super Ape" locally I'll let you know, not a problem, although now I've said that I probably won't see one for the next five years.:laugh:

I noticed a poster for Horace on Saturday, not long after you mentioned him, but I haven't really got a spare £22 this week and I'm fortunate enough to have seen him several times, plus I'm old and it will be full of youngsters so I'm not going even though I'm sure Horace will be his usual great self.

I'd missed the Jayman tape, that's a venue I really didn't like back then, lots of crack dealers and crackheads although I did film a Jah Tubby's dance there a year or two later, I believe things are better now, but it's not somewhere I tend to venture, will have to give it a listen though.