Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If you can do a deal with Jimmy and don't want to be bothered with vinyl just let me know.

2. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

If not in JA then maybe catch him while on tour in Europe this summer: Jimmy Cliff

I'll be going to his show at a festival here, but I don't have the kind of access to Reggae celebrities that some of you guys do. :angel:

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  3. Sony is releasing "Nordub" a new album by Sly & Robbie and Norwegian Jazz trumpetist Nils Petter Molvaer with Eivind Aarset and Vladislav Delay

We're getting great reviews, the album is getting airplay, the tour this coming July will be nice.

Check it out on

Nordub by Sly & Robbie, Nils Petter Molvær, Eivind Aarset & Vladislav Delay
    SLY & ROBBIE meets NILS PETTER MOLVAER feat EIVIND AARSET/VLADISLAV DELAY Nordub vinyl at Juno Records.

Here is the press release by Sony (those of you who know him, please try not to laugh when you read Robbie's "comments"...)
    OKeh Records

4. By the way, I tried to enter tags to the post and I am barred from using Dub as a tag. Cant create a tag named "Dub"

Streng verboten, das Wort Dub zu verwenden

Geez, what planet are some people living on???

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

What? for obvious reasons I am very upset to discover this, what's the problem with Dub? :sigh:
    Dubmart

6. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Roddy interviews Barrington Levy

Daddy Harper and Holowlegs like this.
  7. Midnightrider63

Midnightrider63 Member

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

9. Scooper

Scooper Member

Dubmart - Thanks in advance for any help in finding a Super Ape from before the digital era. I'll act quickly if one does appear!

Does anyone enjoy the reggae made in the Compass Point studio in the Bahamas mostly released on Island records? For a while I've been shamelessly into the Grace Jones albums made there and last week I got a 12" of My Jamaican Guy which sounds great as expected on 12" and has a dub part that's not on the Compass Point Island Anthology, plus the B side has a remix of Cry Now Laugh Later without the abrasive guitars from the album cut.

There's been some more roots-flavoured reggae made at Compass Point such as Social Living and Ijahman Levis early LPs which are superb but there's something about the sparse sound of the Grace Jones tunes that appeals to me and I'd like to find more tunes of the same flavour. I suppose my starting point is to bag some more of her 12"s on Discogs. Last year I got the re-released 12" of Private Life/She's Lost Control and it's banging. Walking in the Rain is lined up for my next purchase, it's got 2 long remixes plus a B side called Peanut Butter by the Compass Point All Stars which sounds promising, and a bit eccentric... :D

Izozeles likes this.
  10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

A new track from Samory I, "Call On Jah": Call On Jah, by Samory I

Looks like it has some material in common with Heartbeat's old Cobra Style and Familyman In Dub, but interesting nonetheless.

I am a fan of Grace Jones, although I wouldn't exactly call it Reggae, but close enough I guess. :D

I suppose you are aware that there are Deluxe Editions of both Warm Leatherette and Nightclubbing that have lots of bonus material, mostly in the form of 12" and 7" tracks (long versions, single versions, dubs, remixes, etc.). I think there is also an upcoming Living My Life Deluxe Edition on it's way (which will hopefully include those relevant tracks you mention). It seems the Nightclubbing Deluxe (which has "Peanut Butter" among other things) unfortunately has gone out of print...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Ironclaw likes this.
  11. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Just found this in a thrift store, I never knew about it. I primarily got it for the opening live Steel Pulse tracks. Discogs says there are quite a few LP pressings of this, but just a few on CD:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

black sheriff and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I picked the vinyl up around the time it came out, not sure I've ever seen a CD issue or that it occurred to me to wonder if there was one, nice find in a thrift store.

morgan1098 likes this.
  13. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Ah, have the LP but haven't given it a spin in quite some time. Pretty common siting in the used LP bins for whatever reason. I guess they don't do Sunsplash anymore correct? The other live sets from that concert that I've heard are pretty damn good - Twinkle Bros, Eek A Mouse, Yellowman, Iz Vibe, etc. Most of what I've seen released are all in that '81-'83 era.

morgan1098 likes this.
  14. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Maybe some visuals to go along with it? :)

morgan1098 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

(Way back in the depths of this thread I have posted a couple of other Sunsplash films, but I think I had missed this one was out there).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    morgan1098 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  16. lukatherfan

lukatherfan Forum Resident

If I recall correctly, the CD is missing two of the four Steel Pulse tracks from side 1 of the LP. Super bummer, as this a great collection.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  17. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

A 2cd version with all sixteen tracks was issued by Wounded Bird Records a few years back. As with most of their titles, I am assuming it only had one pressing and quickly went out of print though I could be wrong.

18. morgan1098

Wow! You're right, I found it on amazon. $35 for a new copy. I need all four of those Steel Pulse tracks!

https://www.amazon.com/Tribute-Marl...523997082&sr=1-2&keywords=reggae+sunsplash+81

EDIT: But it looks like ebay seller MovieMars has copies of the 2CD for $8 shipped. Nice! Thanks for the tip. Not only did I not know this CD existed before today, now I see it's been reissued as a deluxe edition.
    VARIOUS ARTISTS - REGGAE SUNSPLASH '81: A TRIBUTE TO BOB MARLEY NEW CD | eBay

19. lukatherfan

lukatherfan Forum Resident

Thanks! I had no idea there was a 2CD version of this. HOWEVER--under the "Additional Information from Movie Mars" section it states this is 1 CD, while the information above states this includes 2 CDs. Hmmmmm....

20. morgan1098

That's got to be an error. I hope! Everything above it says its two CDs. Plus it's on the Wounded Bird label with a Wounded Bird catalog number. I'd be shocked if they had "more than 10 available" brand new copies of the old Elektra CD.

21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

22. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Dont know much about Desi Roots according to dicogs he only released a couple of albums
    and a few singles including this

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Aka Desmond Young and responsible for one of my favourite singles:

24. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

black sheriff and Poison_Flour like this.
  25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Minty_fresh and Poison_Flour like this.