Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Bunny Scott is, of course, the late great Bunny Rugs
    I had the pleasure of reissuing his album produced by Lee Perry in 2000 "To Love Somebody"

black sheriff likes this.
  2. It's a great tune and while they ventured outside the Reggae genre, Third World IS DEFINITELY a Reggae group

3. Thank you. You list Kingston as one of your locations, so you ought to know.

4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

5. Scooper

Scooper Member

I've seen the Warm Leatherette big LP package but balked at paying the big money for it. I'll have to reconsider, given that I found My JA guy for two quid!

A few years ago Sly and Robbie were interviewed on the Channel 4 news. The last question asked of each of them was "Of all the tracks you've played on, which is your favourite?" Robbie S replies "do you know how many tracks I've played on?". Sly D replies "Private Life" by Grace Jones.

6. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  7. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

From Black Slavery Days, great album, originally on Clappers: Various - Black Slavery Days
    Also check out Jack Ruby Hi-Fi issued on the same label, both have been reissued, on Honest Jons and Auralux respectively.

Ok, I suspected you were maybe a vinyl only guy, otherwise there are 2-CD and a Blu-ray versions that are both much cheaper.

8. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Yep got the Clappers album and the Jack Ruby Presents the Black Foundation has some great tunes. The Eagles - Warn the Nation

9. Scooper

Scooper Member

Thanks - I didn't know there was a DVD of Warm Leatherette, but I've found it on Amazon today. This leads me to pose a question I've already been pondering about the 2lp + DVD + CD of Blue Lines by Massive Attack which I would not balk at paying big money for.

Here goes - how do I play a DVD on my Hi-Fi equipment? I've got a CD player but it won't play DVDs. I've got a DVD player for my TV and it has got red and white audio output sockets at the back. Do I need to connect my DVD player to my amplifier as an auxiliary source and play the DVD this way, or is there an other way? I've got a set up that would have been popular around 15-20 years ago before Sonos bar and subwoofers became popular for TV systems, in that music played through my DVD player only comes through my TV speakers, which are crap.

While I'm here, although it's not "100% reggae" in the same way that Grace Jones isn't - has anyone got the Blue Lines bumper package released in 2012 and likes the sound quality of the vinyl and DVD? A reviewer on Amazon says the 2lps sound great as expected, but the DVD sounds even better. I'm almost "sold" on the package as a means to hear Blue Lines better than on my LP from 1990.

10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Actually it's a Blu-ray, so if you only have an old DVD player (as you descibe) you won't be able to play it. Here it is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leatherette-Blu-Ray-audio-Grace-Jones/dp/B01BMPPI0I (the front cover artwork is wrong). Here is the 2-CD (there are some difference between them, I think some tracks are only on the Blue-ray): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Warm-Leatherette-Grace-Jones/dp/B01BMPPGYQ

In short, yes. DVD players usually have a lot of outputs, for example a bunch of rca connectors to get 5.1. sound, if yours is like that you have to go into the menu and set it to output stereo (if that's what you want) and then choose the appropriate outputs (usually the same as used for front left+right when in 5.1). My DVD player (that I hardly ever use) has the ability to also play SACD and DVD-A (as well as regular CDs) so I use it for those formats.

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I assume you are talking about 24/96 high res from DVD, in which case I believe you need to connect the digital audio out from the DVD player into a DAC and the DAC into your hi fi, I haven't tried it so I may be wrong, but I assume that just connecting the normal stereo out from your DVD player will give you lower quality audio rather than the high res.

I'd have to go and check my copy, but I don't recall the deluxe vinyl "Blue Lines" having a DVD, just a 24/96 download code, I play the first press so maybe I've just forgotten the DVD.:confused:

Ha, it does have a DVD:oops: in my defence it has been six years and I've never played the DVD as far as I recall.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Ok, I didn't get that, what I described is just for playing a regular DVD, if it is for audio in high resolution you'd have to use a digital signal some way to get it, I am no expert on that since, as I say, I hardly ever use my DVD player... :oops:

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yeah the Massive Attack DVD is 24/96, though I'm not sure either of us are the best people to help as neither of us use DVD for high res.:laugh:

14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Can you play files on your stereo? Sometimes it is easier to use DVD Audio Extractor to rip the files and then play them that way. It is reasonably priced anyway but it also has a free trial period.

15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yeah, I guess I mangle it when I play DVD-A (which is rarely, I just have a few), by outputing the wrong sound... o_O

By the way, while we're on the subject, does anyone have any of the DVD-A versions of Trojan titles put out by Silverline? I always wondered what the point was, I can't imagine the sources allowed for any upgrade in sound. Here you can see some of them (there are also some that are DualDisc's): Silverline

16. Scooper

Scooper Member

Thanks chaps, I've learned something and saved some wasted cash. Yesterday I got a blu ray of Star Wars Rogue One from a friend, thinking I could watch it on my 15 year old DVD player. I loaded it a minute ago after reading today's comments and the DVD player told me "can't use". Bollocks! I was going to watch the film tonight.

Dubmart - do you prefer the sound of the 1990 LP of Blue Lines to the 2012 LP?

Getting back to the overarching topic of this forum, I'm playing the new Family Man Soul Constitution compilation right now on Spotify's free gizmo and it sounds good. It seems to be most of the singles that have been reissued in the past couple of years. Another one to deliberate whether to buy or not...

17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know it was on Spotify already, will check it out (I would have thought they'd wait a bit with putting up a new release for streaming). Dub Store have done that a few times before, compiled earlier singles releases into compilations (like for Merritone, Derrick Harriot, King Jammy and Redman International).

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Probably, to be honest I can't remember what the 2012 sounds like so whether I compared and decided the original was better or just fell back into playing the first press I can't say, but it's pretty decent sounding, what I really ought to do is record all the 12"s and compile my own high quality version of "Blue Lines".

19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Excited to see that Tetrack Let's Get Started (plus Augustus Pablo Eastman Dub) will be reissued: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CPLPGFT

This was previously released in a combination like this in 1990, a CD I have been loking for in vain (and/or not willing to pay the prices asked). It looks like it will have the albums after one another, just like the old CD, and not rearranging it by placing the dubs after the vocals, as the Hugh Mundell Africa Must Be Free By 1983 reissue did.

Each album will also be released on LP: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CF6WDV2 & http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BZB64FW

(Tetrack Let's Get Started was also reissued on LP by OnlyRoots a few years back.)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  20. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Wondering about Maytones' "Only Your Picture" LP from 1984: Is this a compilation or recorded as/to be a stand-alone album? When was it recorded. Info on the web is a bit sketchy, saying they broke up in 1980, and this album does not appear to have any of the hits I'm familiar with (with the exception of what's on the bonus 12" included with the latest reissue). :pineapple::bdance::wiggle:

21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I don't know anything about that LP, but most of the tracks are also on Keep The Fire Burning, which is from 1980, so it would have to be considered a compilation then and I guess the material maybe dates back to that period. I saw this LP was reissued for RSD, but I assume it will be out on CD too eventually, so I'll hold out.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think I've seen the CD listed, Amazon maybe? A weird choice for RSD unless they thought they wouldn't sell many as a normal release, I don't think the original sold very well I've only ever seen it once or twice and before the internet it would have been a hard record to sell, especially with that sleeve, the LP does appear to be a mix of leftover tracks and previously released material so quite contrived, the new one adds some nice hits on the 12" though.

23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I've seen it mentioned that there was a CD on Amazon, but I can't find a listing now, maybe it's been removed (cancelled)? Yes, it's a strange choice, but I don't think the Burning Sounds releases are that thought through, they seem to be pumping out whatever they have license to release without that much plan to it. The sleeve isn't very good, is it, and it doesn't fit the music, making it look like a budget Lovers Rock compilation.

24. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Thanks ! So hard to find info on this one !

25. Was not aware Omnivore was reissuing Nighthawk Records:

Omnivore will reissue the Nighthawk catalog, adding bonus tracks where available and remastering from original master tapes starting in December and continuing until the entire catalog has been restored, including previously unissued albums. All releases are being co-produced by Grammy® Award-winning producer Cheryl Pawelski and Nighthawk co-founder Leroy Jodie Pierson. Pierson, who often contributed liners notes to the original releases, will update or supplement his original notes with new information and will share photos and ephemera from his archive. Grammy® Award-winning engineer Michael Graves will handle mastering and restoration.

The Return of Nighthawk Records | Omnivore Recordings

Riccardo2 likes this.