Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'll admit that I have no idea what the kids in any part of Africa are listening too, let alone across the entire continent and if they are listening to Quincy Jones, sorry I mean Michael Jackson I am surprised to say the least.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  2. django68

django68 Forum Resident

There are two killer dubplate versions of War and Want More, a little out of your remit but it would be great to hear those profesionally cleaned up and issued. Also a very rare mix of War [probably a version side] of which I have heard only a snippet - the beginning has just the horn section with the rhythm dropped out.

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

I picked up this beauty for 2 euros in a thrift shop this weekend ;)

Poison_Flour likes this.
  4. Blackbear

Blackbear Forum Resident

When I heard that the Jamaican single contained different mixes, I started collecting them. I have most of these and waited for Tuff Gong to release them as a collection. When that didn't happen, I began to transfer the singles from vinyl to digital, and then bought software to remove clicks. That took a while. I planned to press up about a hundred for fans only but in the end never got around to it. It was going to be called "Children get your culture."

I like that these mixes are not as smooth as the Island ones - maybe JA pressing quality has something to do with it. The dubs/versions are good to have - not too "busy". Maybe one day these will be released - they released Bob Marley in Dub Vol. 1 which sounded like they were from master tapes.

5. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Includes my favourite

6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I just picked it up, but I've not even unsealed it yet, will give an update when I play it, assuming I remember.:righton:

bmoregnr likes this.
  8. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It's Gregory Isaacs' birthday today, and since parts of the Rockers gang are going on tour, I thought I'd post this (again):

Facebook page: Rockers Jamaica

9. It's been released times and times again before
    the bonus material is nice and it's really cool to have included Rig Ma Roe Game on this compilation

10. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

11. knb

knb Forum Resident

I've got both the Doctor Bird reissue and the Anthology double, and a quick comparison of a couple of tracks did not reveal any staggering differences in the mastering. But it is definitely a new remaster, and to me it sounded marginally more lively, less homogeneous, and some of the tracks are faded a little later (e.g. Carry Go Bring Home is about ten seconds longer on the Doctor Bird).
    And if I counted correctly, you get 7 tracks that are not on the Anthology - 5 of the bonus tracks and 2 from the album proper (which to my knowledge has not been released on CD before).
    I don't regret getting the Doctor Bird release at all, but then I'm somebody who thinks that you can never have too much Justin Hinds.

Guillaume Bougard and bmoregnr like this.
  12. here is Daddy U Roy bigging up Bitty McLean's upcoming LOVE RESTART album with Sly & Robbie

More on this nice nice record soon

13. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

Marcia Aitken - Still In Love With You Boy....Tune !

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  14. here is the first of several videos showing Keith Foundation's recording session last June with Robbie Shakespeare, Horsemouth Wallace, Chinna Smith and Robbie Lyb

Poison_Flour likes this.
  15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

This is a bit of a long shot, but does anyone know anything about this Jah9 Singles compilation (and maybe even where to get it)?: Jah9 - Singles

There is also this other "self-released" compilation, which says it was sold on tour (so maybe it was the same for both): Jah9 - Jah9

Some of these songs are hard to come by on physical releases, like "Steamers A Bubble" which is very pricey on single.

There is a new EP coming out in a month (but all the vocal tracks have already had separate digital releases): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feelings-VINYL-Jah9/dp/B07DXS3RFT

16. A new teaser about Keith Foundation's album

Engineer Bravo is spending the Summer at my place and we have put together a makeshift studio. Despite the total absence of sound proofing, external noise (heatwave with no AC = open windows!), etc... our sound is surprisingly nice

It will be easy to master, too

I have 973 subscribers and need 27 more to be eligible for monetization and other YT "privileges". If you can subscribe to my channel, that would be appreciated. Thanks

17. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Guillaume
    Subscribed - and what a GREAT teaser!!
    Let me tell you - it makes your heart cry. To listen to the ORIGINATORS, the FOUNDING members of 70/80's reggae - Robbie, Horsemouth, Chinna, Robbie Lyn - man these guys can lay down the rhythms in their sleep.
    When is this album dropping?

Best
    Gregg

18. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Subscribed: now there is 979 subscribers.

19. thanks, I hope you enjoyed the music!

20. With Bravo, I hope to finish the 7 songs this week end
    then 10 days in the country. One last listen when I come back, adjustments if any
    then mastering. Probably at Abbey Road where they did a nice job on the upcoming Bitty McLean album (end of August)
    Then I need to take some good looking photographs of the man. If I have money, I'll go down this Fall and when I come back to France I'll do the artwork. I'd like a black & white headshot like I did on the artwork for Poor Man in Love by Gregory Isaacs

LP will have 6 songs
    CD 7 songs (all extended to more than 7;00 each) + 3-4 alternative mixes, dub versions,

Expect end of year, early 2019

21. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Rototom Sunplash 2018 started streaming today.

That is the Main Stage stream. They also have several streams from the smaller stages. You can access those on their YouTube channel. They also stream from their website.

Julian Marley is performing on the Main Stage as I post this.
    Following him will be Cocoa Tea w/ Koffee. Followed by Ben Harper

Full schedule can be found here:
    Rototom Sunsplash European Reggae Festival | Música, cultura, actividades y playa

22. Wayne Hubbard

Lion Stage. Focuses more on acts from Spain and Europe

23. Wayne Hubbard

Dub Academy. Jah Shaka will be performing Saturday. Alborosie meets King Jammy headline Tuesday.

24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The last act tonight is Royal Sounds and as we're their label I guess I better tell you all to watch them and then buy their album if you like what you hear and see.:)

Wayne Hubbard likes this.
  25. Just received a first box of Bitty McLean's LOVE RESTART LP's
    I'll post it on the bandcamp store TAXI TABOU1 later today