Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

The Nocturne cover pic is the one I have, but for whatever reason I can't seem to post it here. Someone more tech inclined than me could probably do it. As for only $4.99...now that I know about the Trojan Fan Club reissues, I'm saving my $$$! Maybe sometime in the near future...(we all know how this goes :D)

It's a mystery until Ernie lets us in on the scoop, I guess. He may have a connection with the Sound System label folks which could be the reason for his claim, not that I blame him for trying to promote their products.

2. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It is the only one of the Sound System titles where I have seen the logo (I have the same two as you, plus this one), but there are several other small labels (can't think of any examples right now) where I have seen the EB logo on the back of their releases, maybe they have sponsored those labels some way...?

3. Bobby Buckshot

I'm thinking at least as the main distributor...? Anything else beyond that I have no idea.

4. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

There has been a lot of talk about the Yabby You Jesus Dread set from Blood and Fire. I'm still looking for a reasonably priced copy myself.

But does anyone have any comments about this 3CD Yabby You set from Shanachie? It was just released this year and it appears to include a number of the same tracks as Jesus Dread plus some unreleased stuff. Does anyone have it?

[​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/Dread-Prophec...p/B00R5FX7G2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

5. Bobby Buckshot

I have it, and I like it a lot. It's bargain priced at around $20 which I consider a steal. Yes, there is overlap with the B&F sets but those are hard to get and if you don't have them, this is the next best thing. It also stands on its own, IMO, as a good addition if you do have the B&F sets. Discs 2 & 3 make it absolutely worth the price (Pat Kelly track is fantastic), not to mention the booklet which is full of info about the man.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  6. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

This looks very interesting from Soul Jazz - RASTAFARI - THE DREADS ENTER BABYLON 1955 - 1983.
    http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/releases/?id=43849

[​IMG]

Tracklist
    A1 –Count Ossie & Rasta Family, The Africa We Want Fe Go
    A2 –Johnny Clarke None Shall Escape The Judgement
    A3 –Laurel Aitken Haile Selassie
    A4 –Count Ossie & Mystic Revelation Of Rastafari Tales Of Mozambique
    A5 –Ras Michael Booma Yeah
    B1 –Mutabaruka Say
    B2 –Bongo Herman & Jah Lloyd African Drums
    B3 –Ashanti Roy Hail The Words Of Jah
    B4 –Count Ossie & Mystic Revelation Of Rastafari Sam's Intro
    B5 –Bongo Herman, Les & Bunny Salaam
    C1 –Winston And Ansell Zion I
    C2 –Techniques All Stars Zion I Version
    C3 –Lord Lebby & Jamaican Calypsonians, The Ethiopia
    C4 –Count Ossie And Leslie Butler Soul Drums
    C5 –Heaven Singers Rasta Dreadlocks
    D1 –Rod Taylor His Imperial Majesty
    D2 –QQ Betta Must Come
    D3 –Earth And Stone Jah Will Cut You Down
    D4 –Count Ossie & Mystic Revelation Of Rastafari Narration
    D5 –Ronald Downer & Count Ossie A Ju Ju Wa

7. Bobby Buckshot

Just saw this recently. That's a lot of different styles of JA music and should make for an interesting mix. "Sam's Intro" from Count Ossie has a sax opening that vaguely reminds me of Coltrane's "Blue Train" but that could be just me. I think it's at least inspired by Coltrane's arrangement.

badsneakers and macdaddysinfo like this.
  8. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I have this Dread Prophecy 3cd set, and just got thru listening to all 3 cds yesterday. If you like Yabby You, I would highly recommend this set.
    I enjoyed it very much, even if a few tracks are of less than good sound quality, that's par for the course on a project like this. :thumbsup:

Bobby Buckshot and morgan1098 like this.
  9. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

I always thought that Pat Kelly song was a Bunny Lee production. Blood & Fire included the dub on their compilation
    of Bunny Lee productions, Dub Like Dirt 1975-1977.

This is the description in the liner notes of that release:

How Long Dub
    Like "My Conversation", the original was a big hit for Bunny and Pat Kelly in 1970. Vocalist Kelly, also a studio
    engineer, worked at King Tubby's and mixed this dub there in 1976.

Doing a little research, I found this video on YouTube, which features Yabby's production credit on the 45.
    The dub following the vocal is different that the version on Dub Like Dirt. A little more vocal left in the mix.

As far as overlap between the two compilations. Even where there are duplicate tracks, they are usually different mixes or
    versions. One good example is Jah Vengeance. The track on the Shanachie set is the 12" version which is totally different
    than the 7" version on the B&F release. The 12" version is a different vocal take/mix and includes a uncredited Big Youth
    toast on the end.

morgan1098 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  10. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

If you like the Rastafari Soul Jazz compilation, seek out this Trojan 3 CD box set - it will be right up your street. It has some classic stuff on it, particularly the Dadawah cuts.

11. I have the Blood & Fire YY compilations (the Jesus Dread and a couple dub albums), the Shanachie 3CD as well as the two Pressure Sounds compilations. I like them all and recommend them all although there are overlaps

12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I finally got myself a copy of Jesus Dread just in time for Dread Prophecy to come out and I now have both, but I don't mind the repeated tracks. Jesus Dread does the "version shower" thing, but I'm not always in the mood for hearing multiple versions like that, and the first disc of Dread Prophecy then functions more like a compact greatest hits, and of course discs 2 and 3 are just great. There were some complaints about the sound quality on disc 3, but I expected much worse than what I heard and it's really only a few tracks that are seriously affected. I think maybe when listening to Reggae my audiophile standards are substantially lowered...:D (I find some of the Perry stuff on Pressure Sounds harder to listen to.)

Besides Jesus Dread and Dread Prophecy, here is some of that stuff for the extend Yabby You listening experience, inlucing dub albums and productions for others, for those who want to dig further:

Blood & Fire:
    King Tubby’s Prophesy Of Dub
    Dub It To The Top
    Deliver Me From My Enemies

Trinity: Shanty Town Determination
    Tommy McCook: Blazing Horns / Tenor In Roots
    Pressure Sounds:
    Deeper Roots
    Deeper Roots Part 2

Island (Universal):
    Jah Jah Way (vinyl only)

(There are of course other titles, these are the more recent reissues that are on the more well known labels.)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  13. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

The version of "How Long" that is found on many compilations, and that was "a big hit for Bunny and Pat Kelly in 1970", is a different recording (but I guess you knew that). Strange about Dub Like Dirt, the Blood & Fire page says "This set gathers sixteen Bunny Lee - produced cuts played by the Aggrovators and dubbed up in fine style by King Tubby, Prince Jammy, Prince Phillip and Pat Kelly", I just listened and it sure is the same basic recording as on the Yabby You set. Riddims where being sold and traded, so who knows which is correct...

14. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

A quick trip out to Rough Trade East secured Keith Hudson's Rasta Communication, Africa Dub Almighty Chapter Four and this...completing my set of Culture's 70s output.

[​IMG]

15. drumtalking

drumtalking Member

The first issue of the U-Roy Lost Album was on the Sound System label and was vinyl-only. The label was established by (Tom) Papa Ray, who, I believe, still owns Vintage Vinyl records in St. Louis (which had also been the home of Leroy Pierson/Nighthawk Records label). Papa Ray has been a longstanding promoter and supporter of reggae and other roots music. Ernie has bankrolled a number of reggae releases, in exchange for exclusive distribution rights, at least in the late 1990s/early 2000s. I am unsure about subsequent re-issues of this title on other labels, or of relative audio quality.

Bobby Buckshot and macdaddysinfo like this.
  16. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Thanks for the info., I didn't know anything about this label. I only have three titles, which are the ones I have seen Ernie B's carry. There is also a Nicodemus album (vinyl only) and which I now see also has the EB logo on it, so it's not just the one title.

About the first issue, Discogs lists a vinyl release from 1999, but we had a report that there was a CD as well:

17. drumtalking

drumtalking Member

I wonder myself which version the "LOT Better" refers to...my recollection is that the first CD issue, which was also on Sound System, came out at least a year or even later than the original LP.

18. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

19. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

A bit late to the party on Ernie B's Blood and Fire sale but thanks to the folks on this thread I just managed to snag the Prince Alla and Ranking Joe sets to fill in some of the holes in my BAF collection for dirt cheap.

20. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Getting Chapter Four yesterday meant I now have all of them...

[​IMG]

21. Bobby Buckshot

Incredible stuff. Congrats on completing the collection!

22. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Never heard any of those, but congrats!

23. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

There are other tracks that have been credited to both Bunny Lee & Yabby You. Death Trap by Tommy McCook
    is one. I think the two had some kind of working relationship. Bunny Lee helped a lot of producers get their
    start. Not mention the Tubby's connection. There were probably a lot of tapes shared there. Tappa Zukie
    is another producer who Bunny gave tapes to when he started.

24. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Frontline discomixes has shipped

morgan1098 likes this.
  25. Bobby Buckshot

Looks like some of those Scientist dub LPs from Greensleeves have been reissued on vinyl, but this time on the Dub Mup label (in which "Mup" is spelled in Russian Cyrillic). Oh boy, there's no telling the quality on these. I'm thinking these are new, but if they've been around for a while, does anyone know what they sound like? I still need to pick up the World Cup one at some point...

http://turntablelab.com/search?q=scientist