Cruising (1980), Any thoughts on the meaning of the ending

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EndOfTheRainbow, Aug 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight Thread Starter

The ending of the film seems to point in two different directions.
    I tend to think the film is a bit of a mess as released, but supposedly the film was heavily cut.
    Has anyone seen the original script ? What are we missing ?
    What are your thoughts on the ending of the movie ?
    I didn't feel like the ending was clever, but just left us hanging, lands with a thud.

Cruising (film) - Wikipedia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

royzak2000 likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

3. I haven’t seen it in years are you referring to the scene where Pacino’s shaving? According to Friedkin it’s about his transformation.

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

5. I don’t have it but it is reportedly a new 4K scan missing many of the revisionist touches that Friedkin applie for the DVD. Arrow always does good work.

alexpop likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I disliked the film 40 years ago and have no need to see it again.

rockclassics, audiomixer and alexpop like this.
  7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I agree with Vidiot.

audiomixer and wayneklein like this.
  8. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Like some of Friedkin's other work, Cruising ends on a spooky note that implies the story's not quite over. Many of his characters (To Live and Die in L.A. and The French Connection especially) are left to wrestle with their own personal demons and curses at the end. This one's no different.

If it's any help, one of the things I like about Friedkin films is that you have to work a little to figure them out.

9. alexpop

Yes! There was folk were complaining outside cinemas about the films stereotyping. I liked it myself. Al Pacino method actor in full force, he looked fit. Also really like the soundtrack.

wayneklein likes this.
  10. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Just out of genuine interest, why?

11. alexpop

Think for most critics it looks likes a low budget sleazy crime film, guess the subject matter is unappealing for some. I liked the authenticity of it myself, especially the scarf choice scene, that’s a Oscar worthy scene itself.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  12. alexpop

Pacino is always been a bit shy about mentioning this film in interviews, don’t thinks he’s ashamed of it..though.

13. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

See this post (post number 110) I wrote about the ending.

What are your biggest remaining video wants?

I saw someone in FOPP looking at the new Blu-Ray release. I asked him if he'd seen it. He said he had. I asked if he understood the ending. He said that he and his friend were confused by it. I explained that it was ambiguous and the makers themselves don't know any of the answers. I added, 'It's a mess. An interesting mess, but a mess.' He agreed with me. He put it back on the shelf and walked away. I have the 2008 DVD and that will do for me.

FYI Mindhunter episode 6 of season 2 has a dramatised interview with the real-life killer who inspired the events of Cruising (and played the goth-looking brain scan assistant in The Exorcist).

14. alexpop

The film is a crime story with a ambiguous ending.,no biggie. How is it a “ mess “?

By the way I don’t work in Fopps. :)

15. alexpop

Blu Ray picture is supposed to be derived by a 4K scan. I assume that means better than the dvd.

I seen the original film in a fleapit cinema 1980/81.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I thought it was insulting, bad, depressing, and also changed the novel beyond the writer's intentions. I can remember lots of protests and pickets when the movie was released:

Village Voice: Making Sense of 'Cruising'

27 years ago, the violence-drenched film 'Cruising' sparked outrage in the gay community. How will the movie, set for DVD release, play to today's audiences?

1,000 in ‘Village’ Renew Protest Against Movie on Homosexuals

Gay History – July 25, 1979: “Cruising” Movie Shoot Protested By NYC’s Gay Community

audiomixer likes this.
  17. The Hermit

Aside from the film's technical or narrative efforts, you do understand that it was about a very specific sub-culture and not an entire community...?

'Hurricane' Billy Friedkin is one of old Hollywood's last remaining characters... his films may be largely hit and miss (and he only has two genuine classics on his resume which he's been dining out on for years), but the guy is an irascible hoot and raconteur at the best of times.

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

The Exorcist & ?

19. The Hermit

The French Connection.

Some would also add 1977's Sorcerer to that (I wouldn't though); it's an interesting film for sure, but it was too depressing and nihilistic and needed stars to lift it... and Friedkin has said so in recent years; he had Steve McQueen on a silver platter for that movie, but was too arrogant to have given him some leeway in order to do that film... Friedkin has since said that was his biggest mistake. Had McQueen headlined Sorcerer, it wouldn't have flopped as hard as it did...

RhodyDave125, alexpop and Vidiot like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You asked... I gave you my opinion.

numer9 likes this.
  21. alexpop

Sorcerer?

Prefer the original The Wages Of Fear.

22. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Love it and have the new Blu-ray waiting for the right moment. I scanned through it the other day and it looks like another revisionist presentation, albeit not as bad as the 2007 DVD. One of my favourite New York is hell films that were churned out in the 70s and early 80s. And the soundtrack is fantastic. But, no, it doesn’t make sense in that the ending is ambiguous.

alexpop likes this.
  23. alexpop

I’ve seen other films ( can’t recall titles now :))where there’s a wtf ending. Didn’t bother me. Look for the good imo. Al Pacino with Willy DeVille soundtrack can’t beat it.

Graham likes this.
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I love Sorcerer. It's one of my favorite movies. I can see how it didn't do well due to its lack of star power. Still, Scheider does a good job in it.

25. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

My take was that his undercover work had opened homosexual desires in him that he hadn't been aware of. It seems he can't just slot back into his previous life with his girlfriend/wife now that the case is closed.
    I consider it one of Friedkin's best films after Sorcerer and The Exorcist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.