"Cruising" (1980) official soundtrack - Audio Fidelity SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

Saw this mentioned in a thread a few days ago and its available to order at a few retailers. Now its official, as it is listed on the Audio Fidelity site. I've always been a fan of the movie, but don't know a thing about the soundtrack. Looking at the tracklist, I'm not familar with any of the songs and don't know any of the artists outside of John Hiatt. Kevin Gray is doing the mastering.

Anyone have any thoughts on the soundtrack? I'm looking forward to giving this one a listen. Release date for non-subscribers is currently listed as 11/27, but that could get pushed back, of course.

https://audiofidelity.net/product/cruising-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-various-artists

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

This is a great rockin soundtrack' really like Mink De Ville. Some folk don't like the perverse nature of the film, but cutting edge stuff from Al Pacino..his next thrill ride after Cruising was "Scarface".

3. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

What a great haunting film!

Terry and Szeppelin75 like this.
  4. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Interesting choice. I am definitely down for this.

5. This isn't some kind of early April Fools parody mock-up, is it? I mean, Cruising? The Germs in audiophile SACD quality? But if its real, I'm interested.

6. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Those Willy Deville tracks are great!!! I'm in!!!

7. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

that movie disgusted me. big pass....

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Great music.... I'm in.

9. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Can't believe this is out!!! WOW! Finally!

10. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

Is this the first time on CD for this soundtrack?

11. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Love this film. I could never understand the hate for it.....and, yes, rockin' soundtrack!

12. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Could be, but the three Willy DeVille songs were included as bonus tracks on the Raven issue of his Miracle CD in the 90s.

13. The John Hiatt song was also available on the Anthology release. I have those four songs, so a pass for me.

14. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

The hate is for gay culture and gay lifestyle as some of us practice it. Violence against women by a male straight offender never causes any harm and is usually in all the basis for succesful psychological thrillers.

serj, RevUp64, Graham and 1 other person like this.
  15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The movie was average..... but the soundtrack is fantastic. Great mastering by KG.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  16. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have listened to this disc a couple of times and I really like the song selection. I was not familiar with this title before I received the SACD, so I was not prepared for the "type" of music that is on this disc. I really like the music and the sonics are spectacular.

Galley and Cake like this.
  17. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I haven't received my copy yet and I'm a Platinum member. I got the Nat King Cole release, however.

18. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I got the album after seeing the film in 1980, it has been regularly played since, great film and soundtrack.

19. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

The movie is great,Pacino was awesome.
    In fact a lot of hate for the movie came from the gay community,see the extras on the dvd.

20. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

That certainly is odd. I would have called a couple of weeks ago. Call Kim today.

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  21. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

Curious there's not much response to an AF release. I have a digital download that has 5 more Germs songs. Don't remember if they were featured in the film or not but it adds quite a few minutes to the CD's scant running time. And yeah, the edgy song selections totally compliment the mood of the film. Don't know if this needed to be an AF release but I appreciate the fact they made the effort. Damn fine.

22. llannigan

llannigan Member

Just received #1280 today and am on a second listen. I think the folks who think this sounds bad are being overly critical without considering the big picture and history of the eclectic bands included, era, and the fact it was a hit and run project for the producer and his buddy. Sounds good.

On a side note: Where was a camera taping Jack Nitzsche "producing" this album with his BFF drug buddy DeVille? If lost film were found it would make a hell of a documentary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.