" Cry Baby Cry " Question. Pauls section...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by apesfan, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape" Thread Starter

Was Pauls part of Cry Baby Cry at 2:34," can you take me back where I came from"..Ever a genesis to a proper Paul song at anytime since The White Album? John M.

2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Would that be sad?

3. apesfan

I meant to hit something else..klutz...John M.:eek:

4. Joe N

Joe N Forum Resident

I've heard it was a song fragment that Paul had lying around for a while. I don't believe he's done anything more with it since.

5. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Took out for you. Be sad no more.....

6. ojibway

ojibway New Member

7. edgwareman

edgwareman Forum Resident

There is a longer version of this out there (a couple of minutes long I think). It was edited down for the White album. Never used since that time I believe.

8. deville

deville Forum Resident

I think that whole "Can you take me back..." bit is one of the coolest moments on the whole White Album. I've heard an extended version of it that is quite cool too, but the reverb and ambience of the track on the album is haunting, and quite beautiful.

noyoucmon and gillcup like this.
  9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

What's interesting is, it's almost as complete a piece as "Wild Honey Pie". Sort of the "Her Majesty" of the "white album".

Er, I'm running out of cogent things to say about the Beatles!! Panic!! :(

10. boyfromnowhere

boyfromnowhere Senior Member

:agree: I love it! It seems perfect right after "Cry Baby Cry," too, which I also love.

11. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I really enjoy what they did with "Can You Take Me Back" on the Love mash-up album. The cellos are awesome.

theMess, Paul H and longaway like this.
  12. apesfan

Agree 1000%. It just always had a tact on feel, so I really was wondering with the bootleg knowledge that is hear about the Beatles, if it was ever longer or led to something. Thanks :righton:..John M. different.

13. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

There is a longer one floating around out there in illicit-land. The part that's on the White Album is perhaps the last 30 seconds of the existing track.

Wasn't it done at the same session as "I Will" and all that "Step Inside Love/Los Paranoias" stuff?

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Sounds like it to me.

Matt

15. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I thought that was the beginning of "Revolution #9", not the end of "Cry Baby Cry".

16. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Yes

17. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

oh god, this is something i have always thought, myself... i've always wished he would've continued it and/or turned it into its own song.... i finally see someone else saying the very thing i've thought, too...

praytell, where is this extended version of which you people speak?

18. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

On the CD I'm pretty sure it's part of the Cry Baby Cry track. On vinyl it was a bit more elusive - it was simply between the tracks.

There is indeed a longer version floating around but, imho, the best part of the song is what was used. I love that little part btw.

19. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

The White album has been indexed both correctly and incorrectly on various different CD's, sometimes it's hard to tell. For the record - the original vinyl has "Take Me Back" tagged to the end of Cry Baby Cry, with the whispering about the Claret the start of Revolution 9. It also has the Flamenco guitar as the start of Bungalow Bill (not the end of Wild Honey Pie), and the "tuning up" after Rocky Racoon is the actual start of Don't Pass Me By.

20. apesfan

Im glad I asked... The White Album was always fodder for questions and what-ifs during the "Old" days of the 60s and 70s when my friends and I talked endlessly about these things.. Take care pencilchewer... John M..

21. puddin

puddin Forum Resident

I've been reading up on a lot of Beatles recording session stuff lately. Back when they recorded the White Album, they were in the habit of just jamming and recording rehersals of songs in the studio - sometimes for hours - racking up over 100 takes before they'd go back and pick the rythm track that was the tightest (say take 67) and overdub onto it. In between these multiple takes they'd often jam out made up on the spot stuff. Sometimes George Martin or Chris Thomas would keep little interesting bits of these jams and splice them onto a reel of odds and ends. The Can You Take Me Back section was just jammed out by Paul in between takes of "I Will". Paul, John and Ringo play on it. Paul's on guitar and vox. Ringo's playing a shaker. John is just banging percussion on a piece of wood. It was a little over 2 minutes, cut and spliced onto the odds and ends reel. Later it was it is edited onto the end of Cry Baby Cry and faded out early.

22. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

The solo Paul McCartney song "Great Day" has a similar guitar chord/feel/rhythm, almost like he was partially inspired by "Can You Take Me Back..."

theMess likes this.
  23. From day one (which is a long time ago!) I have always felt so myself! Without ever bothering to check the track banding or timing either on LP or CD... I know I should but... I just LOVE to associate this haunting, slightly creepy little piece to Rev. #9! And this one is more of a Lennon-McCartney track that way!

24. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Hey PC, good to have you back! :wave: Love the avatar.. :agree:

"Can you Take Me Back" is actually the middle part of an extended vamp Paul did in the studio while recording "I Will".

I never did think of it as a separate song, I had always considered it part of "Cry Baby Cry". One of those oddball Beatles endings like happened on "Hello, Goodbye", "Hey Jude", "Ticket To Ride" and many others, endings and codas that were unique to the rest of the song. Turns out of course that it was totally different, and another happy accident that fit perfectly.

25. bluemt

bluemt Forum Resident

He's singing over the hendrix chord (7 #9)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.