CSN&Y-Who released the best solo album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rufus rag, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I agree and I would consider myself only a casual Neil fan. I enjoy his run of After the Gold Rush through Zuma. I have the first solo albums from Crosby and from Stills and to be honest I could care less if I never hear them again.

2. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

sorry, no.

3. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Nash's debut is definitely a very good one (luckily, since I don't have the album, my fave four songs from it are on the C,S,N & Y Box Set) but there's none of the others come close to topping Neil in my book --

Whether it's On the Beach (my fave), After the Goldrush, Rust Never Sleeps, etc.

4. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I would have said that a few years ago, and while I won't say it's a classic, I will say Long May You Run is unfairly overlooked. I often wonder how Neil's "Midnight on the Bay" and "Fontainebleau", two of his more obscure gems, would have fit on the following year's CSN.

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Agree and building upon your above post; if I may complete it...

...followed by the Stills debut which stands right along side: If Only I Could Remember My Name and Manassas. With that the post is completed.

6. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

To me, If I could only remember my name is equivalent to All Things Must Past. Mostly killer and little filler and not equaled to after that by Croz. He shot his wad out the gate and the others did great stuff. He recorded a few gems here and there, but nothing to equal his first solo outing. So, that’s my vote.

The MEZ likes this.
  7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The question should be for CSN, not CSN&Y.

The MEZ and qtrules like this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

really?

i think there are 9 quality songs on that record.

it was stills last really solid effort for a long time. all 4 of his tunes are quite good.

The MEZ likes this.
  9. teag

teag Forum Resident

Neil Young 20. The rest combined around 5.

Bananas&blow and linclink like this.
  10. Taking away Neil because he made so many great albums ; the first solo albums from Crosby Stills and Nash were all fantastic. After that it was hit and miss with a few good gems.

11. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Graham Nash - Songs For Beginners
    Neil Young - After The Gold Rush

Are the 2 front runners to me.

12. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Tonight's The Night is a masterpiece to me.

I can't get into Crosby's first album either and mostly everything from Crosby/Nash tandem, but I am a big fan of Oh Yes I Can.

bruce2 likes this.
  13. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Yeah I think you'd have to get through several layers of Neil Young albums before you'd get to any solo albums by Crosby, Stills or Nash, as charming as they may be.

Mezzer likes this.
  14. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name is my own personal favourite.

I tend to treat Neil and Stephen as a separate entities, because both of them were connected with solo-esque releases pre CSN(Y). My favourite Stills solo album is the Supersession with Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield, although Stills is on side 2. Then I like Manassas after that one.

Neil wise, it has to be Harvest, Le Noise, and Weld.

However, of late, Nash, Crosby, and Stills with The Rides, have been putting out stronger solo stuff than as a collective, and also stronger solo stuff than Neil. Neil's political comments are starting to date him, unlike the everyman of After The Gold Rush, Ohio, from the late 60s and early 70s. That said, I do like Earth with POTR, and find POTR excellent as a backing band for Neil.

The MEZ likes this.
  15. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I don't get why so many think Neil Young should be excluded because his albums are so far superior. What's objective is that he had the greatest solo career, maybe greater than the other three combined. But for the best album, that's entirely subjective.

Instant Karma and Rufus rag like this.
  16. Neil Young, just so far ahead here!
    I'd take all Neil's solo albums starting with "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" up to & including "Rust Never Sleeps" over anything by Crosby, Stills or Nash solo or CSN together even (and "Neil Young" & "Hawks & Doves" are pretty fine too). If I had to pick the single greatest, I guess I'd still go with "After The Goldrush".

Don't get me wrong there's some great solo albums by Crosby, Stills and Nash, to be sure, but even any of their best, falls behind Neil's work by a pretty good margin.

17. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

For what it's worth, I've found Crosby's recent solo output to be infinitely more listenable than Young's... :hide:

18. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i image the post is about the 4 first solo albums, otherwise clearly there would be not much to discuss ;-)

19. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

I do

Chrome_Head likes this.
  20. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

All four started out well with great debuts, all worthy of being in your collection but drugs really lowered David’s and
    Stephens quality. After 72, Neil just kept giving us gems. My fave would be On The Beach.

21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I feel like Neil needs to be excluded from this thread--he was already a solo act before joining up with CSN.

I would have to cast my vote for Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name,

Stills' Manassas is a masterpiece as well.

Tristero and Bananas&blow like this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you don;t need to hide under that chair form me.

like i said earlier in this thread, since 2000 young is at the bottom of the 4. no denying his early run of albums, but it slowly fizzles as the years go by, with an occasional gem every 5 - 1o years.

23. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

A bit unfair of a comparison as Neil Young was really a solo artist sitting in with CSN IMHO so I would go with the first Manassas album. Great diversity on that 2 LP release.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  24. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I remember I bought this and Billy Joel's "Innocent Man" at the same time. They both came out at the same time as I recall and were very similar in style and era. Anyway, after listening to both, I preferred "Everybody's Rocking", and though it would be a hit and Joel's would tank.

WRONG! Still, I was always Kinda Fonda Wanda!

PS - Neil doesn't belong in this question as he's far beyond the other 3 with releases. So for me, I pick "Songs for Beginners".

lightbulb likes this.
  25. This thread is a laugh. David Crosby confined to his debut as usual, auto-NY forum bias etc. All wrong.

And where does it stipulate DEBUT album only?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.