CSNY 1974 Tour Box Set Coming - 1974-08-23, Stadium, Tampa, Florida

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David P. Hill, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I was listening to Roosevelt last weekend. They really were pretty sloppy, at least in the electric part. I think Nash said something about four guys yelling as loud as they could with no idea of harmony when he talked about Wembley, which I think most people who've seen the video will agree with.
    The acoustic stuff (and of course Neil's) is the heart of the matter. They did do a great version of the Lee Shore on the tour as well.

My jaw will drop if the video content is something other than Wembley.

2. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I'd prefer a single NYA Performance Series disc of just the Neil tunes - the unreleased material, On the Beach tunes, Don't Be Denied etc. The other three guys were already an oldies act by then looking at the majority of their song selections.

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The culprit: cocaine. Nash even says so in "Shakey".

4. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

I was at Roosevelt Stadium as well, and as the previous poster said, the setlist may look good but the evening sure wasn't. Horribly oversold stadium, Crosby and Nash yelling at the crowd for the whole first half. But be glad this isn't the one they're releasing.

5. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

I was at this show in Tampa! Is there a press release, set list or any other "official" info - where do I look?

6. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Well considering how many people here mump and moan about the lack of archival releases from these artists and speculate endlessly about what's languishing in the vaults, i think we should look forward to this. It might not be all CSNY's artistic pinnacle but i am pleased an official document of the tour is coming out. Also good that they are cherry picking from about 8 shows so we can expect a decent coherent selections with some of the better performances chosen. There's plentyof boots for the warts and all as it happened, representation of shows on this tour.

Welcome the chance to have this with open arms. It's unexpected; so to pick it apart and shoot it down now seems churlish.

7. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I agree.

There's time to be churlish when New Year's rolls around and this set is nowhere in sight.

Or, if Neil's songs are under-represented.

For now, I choose cock-eyed optimism. :)

8. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

When I interviewed Nash last year on the release of his box set, he told me he was going through these tapes for a future release ... he specifically said the release was Neil's idea. So perhaps he won't be under-represented.

9. Bruce

Bruce Senior Member

Sound great,The sad part is ,I lived about 30 mins. from where this concert took place
    and for the life of me,I have no idea why I did not go!

10. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I saw this show in Pittsburgh and enjoyed it very much also. I didn't realize it had been that long ago because the Capital Centre has been gone for years.

11. peter

peter Senior Member

Having been privileged (and yes, that IS the rigght word) to have seen them in Vancouver on this tour - July 10, 1974 - I am beyond thrilled with this. Fantastic news.

12. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I was at Roosevelt Raceway. It was the best concert I have ever seen in my life. (Also included Jesse Colin Young, Joni Mitchell with Tom Scott & The LA Express, and The Beach Boys).:love:

13. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Roosevelt RACEWAY, not Roosevelt Stadium (the worst concert venue in the history of Rock & Roll). Two ENTIRELY different concerts (in two different States), to say the least.

14. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

ha, good point, maybe Neil see's this as the beginning of the long slog towards Archives Volume 2?

15. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

This'll be great.

Why now? Why not then?

16. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

There has been years of tit for tat vetoing of proposed releases between Graham Nash and Neil Young/ Elliott Roberts.

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

At one point, I remember Nash publically calling Neil an a hole in print. I thought, let's see how long this tiff lasts.

18. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Joel will make sure that whatever Neil wants will happen.

19. Why now? Because they can't take it with them . . .

20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I assume this means that the new CSN album is delayed again-- anyone heard a word about that?

21. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I was at the July 31, 1974 show at Texas Stadium in Dallas with Jesse Colin Young and The Beach Boys. All were fantastic as I didn't move from my location on the field about 30 yards from the stage from 3pm to after midnight ! And it was around 100 degrees !

I couldn't even begin to weather such an adventure again.

Those were the days !!!!!!!

Oh, tickets were $10 general admission. Still have the stub. :D

22. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

I'll believe it when I see it/hear it.

23. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

yes, very different places. i attended both of these. the crowd was so loud at the n.j. show that they cut the acoustic set short. i thought the raceway set was much better. joni sitting in on several songs didn't hurt.

24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

good

Saw this tour in Denver. Will this be released on vinyl?

25. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Stills can't quite do what he did then, but Crosby's voice was great in the recent tours and Neil is way better now. Nash is always steady.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.