CSNY 1974 Tour Box Set Coming - 1974-08-23, Stadium, Tampa, Florida

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David P. Hill, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Awesome.

2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Here's the plate I used to keep track of the setlist:

Attached Files:

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

FYI- $10.00 buys you a CSN ticket at Jones Beach.

4. Simon

Simon Forum Resident

“It’s coming along,” Crosby says of the covers album, which is being produced by the legendary Rick Rubin.

“We deliberately aren’t trying to put any deadlines on it,” he says. “We’re just working through it, taking our time, picking stuff, we want it to be a really great record, and Rick [Rubin] wants it to be a really great record. We’re not in a hurry. We’re trying to be craftsmen about it.”

Crosby says he has been enjoying his work with Rubin, whose extensive production resume includes albums for the Beastie Boys, Johnny Cash and Slayer.

Thursday, May 27,2010

An icon sounds off
    David Crosby on his past, present and future
    By Alan Sculley

5. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

Ah, All these great memories posted of Summer Jam '74.

For some reason never fully explained (to me), the L.A. wing of the tour at Ontario Motor Speedway (of Cal Jam fame) was cancelled. I've still got a yellow poster somewhere, but never got a refund. I've had to live with boots all these years.
    Similarly, the May '73 Ontario Speedway gig of Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead and Waylon Jennings (almost a LA Watkins Glen) was also cancelled.

Does anybody have a good idea why these high-profile gigs at came unstuck?? Was it venue related?

6. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

That plate/setlist is awesome! A little piece of history and holding on to it for all these years is a nice example of how passionate we all are about this stuff!

7. stevef

stevef Senior Member

This would have been an excellent show. Very disappointed it didn't happen as the LA area missed out on the '74 reunion.
    I no longer recall just *what* the specific reason was for the show being cancelled. It was only 36 years ago. Anyone recall...?

[​IMG]

8. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

nice. only jesse colin young's set is missing. that was a looonnngg day!

9. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Cool! I'd like to hear this one. I saw the Boston Garden show, from the second row after they relocated us because the soundboard was in our seats. LOUD electric set. And Neil yelling at fans to stop clapping during "Old Man" or "Heart of Gold"- I forget which- ..."because there wasn't any clapping when I wrote this song on my ranch."

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Didn't think to keep track until The Boys came on.

11. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey OnTheRoad, I was at that 74 concert at Texas Stadiun too! I was about 5 yards away from stage.
    Got some great pics of all the bands!

12. Wow! This would be great if it's done properly.

13. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

here's a photo from that day. that's me on the left, the guy applauding. :laugh:

Attached Files:

14. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Jeeeezuz! Did the people at the back get to hear anything?

15. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Funny that they payed $10 back in 1974 and I just paid $10 to see Yes/ Peter Frampton over the weekend.

16. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

CSNY wanted a co-headlining with the Allmans. But ABB manager
    Phil Walden said, `no way'. I believe he stated that `I know how
    much my act can draw...I'm not so sure about a group that's just
    getting back together'.

17. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I was at their show in Kansas or Missouri or somewhere and it was the worse thing I ever saw. Gonna take a lotta autotune to fix that one.

Anyone know if the Beach Boys are captured on tape from those tour dates? They were the best thing of that day from where I was. Really great set. They did Long Promised Road during a sound check in the late morning but didn't do it later in their main set.

18. bystander

bystander Forum Resident

Telling the crowd to shut the f**K up..We are musicians and we need quiet to play our acoustic guitars...

Man, if ever a couple of clowns needed immediate pies in their faces, it was these two jokers.

19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It appears to have been a sold out show :)

20. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Ahh, got it. Dates threw me off (Raceway 9/8/74, Stadium 8/8/74)

21. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Do you have a scanner or can you re-photo the photo's and post some?

How 'bout a link to photobucket or some other photo files, anything uploaded?

Would love to seem them. :righton:

My sis and her husband live out at Hackberry estates there in Irving.

22. jacksondownunda

Thanks for the input, but that may have been a slightly different time or tour. I do vaguely recall that Phil Walden quote from somewhere, though, and it would be worth tracking down.

The cancelled LA Summer Jam '74 at Ontario Motor Speedway was this same Jesse Collin Young, Beach Boys, Joni Mitchell, CSNY line-up that occured at the other venues. The posters (I've got one) and the tix/publicity were already in place.

23. jacksondownunda

Sorry I worded that badly.The Allman and CSNY doesn't explain the Ontario Motor Speedway cancellation, but it's very interesting that such a line-up would've been considered in the first place. I have found net mention of the CSNY/Allmans/Beach Boys/Marshall Tucker proposed gig at LA Memorial Colisuem in May '74, so THAT would indeed be the gig you're referring to. (Supposedly an Eric Clapton/Grateful Dead show was also slated for that venue.)

They were both using the same promotor in those days (same guy bankrolled by Graham who did George Harrison '74 and Alice Cooper) and ABB was a massive massive draw in those days and their were certainly oodles of $ to be made from such a line up. The line-up they settled on was very folkie/vocal oriented. It's a real open question how a CSNY/ABB gig would've gone musically. Could CSNY's acoustic and electric set comfortably follow ABB??

24. Joe Shlabotnik

Joe Shlabotnik Formerly dickvin

I really hope this come out but anything with the "Y" part attached has me somewhat worried. Wasn't there live CD's and/or DVD's announced from their tours in 2000 and 2002 ? As far as the DVD - what else was filmed besides Wembley ? (which IMO isn't one of the better shows of the tour). I've heard several shows '74 and there's some really good music there once you get past the egos. Got my fingers crossed - as I would love to have this.

25. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I'm more excited about this now that I've heard there were some great performances on this tour. I've seen the Wembley DVD, and it's painful. They all come off as jerks, and the performances suffer greatly for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.