CSNY 1974 Tour Box Set Coming - 1974-08-23, Stadium, Tampa, Florida

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David P. Hill, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mshare

mshare Forum Resident

Good news/bad news from the Archives Guy inside Neil's camp who posts on thrasherswheat.org:

For a bit of clarity on all of this-

This project is real and currently in production.
    The release date and content are still undetermined at this time.

As some of you recall in your comments, this was very memorable tour and the outstanding mixes on this project should flood you with great memories.

It sounds GREAT!

-Archives Guy

2. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Graham Nash had said in an interview (forget where) that he was working on a 2002 tour DVD that never materialized. Nothing was every officially scheduled or announced as far as I recall. I would love to have seen/heard a release from the 02 tour. It was great, so much better without Jim Keltner on drums, and most of the dreadful (IMO) Looking Forward album had been forgotten by then.

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Anything with the name Neil Young on it has an 'undetermined' release date until 1 hour before it is shipped.

4. Joe Shlabotnik

Joe Shlabotnik Formerly dickvin

Yes, I saw them twice on the 02 tour and thought they were great. Always thought it was too bad that nothing offical ever came out.

5. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

I agree that the dvd promised from the 2002 tour not being released was very disappointing. While I enjoyed the Deja Vu film for what it was meant to be from the last tour it's still a shame that we've had three CSNY tours with plenty of video shot on all three and still haven't gotten a concert release on dvd. Personally, I think that a dvd from the first two reunion tours might be a better release than what they may have to work with from 1974 but I hope to be pleasantly surprised with some 74 video material we haven't seen. If it's the London show I'm happy to get it on dvd but I think a 2002 release might be a better.

6. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I was referring to the proposed two-night stand in 1974 at the
    LA Coliseum (where the Rams played)......

7. Joe Shlabotnik

Joe Shlabotnik Formerly dickvin

Might be totally wrong - but if Wembley is planned for the DVD, I can't see the four of them signing off on it for release. Maybe they'll edit it/add some interviews or prehaps they have some different footage. I'm really looking forward to this !!

8. yogibear

yogibear Active Member

funny how neil young has a steady career of releases but CSN and Y don't. seems like a quick and easy money grab. I'm just saying but while live albums/shows get more cred from me if they did the antiwar pro hippie rants and comments then those things detract from the music. while those things were important at the time today they seem trite and almost comical. I love their first two albums and most of their third. this is not any autobuy.

9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

About time. Hope it truly happens.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

so many rumors over the years....

stills box set - this year ?????????

CSN - rarities set - last year????????

CSNY2K tour 2CD set - 10 years ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!

CSNY2K + CSNY 2004 tour CD's and DVD's - 6 years ago

CSN (boat album) and "live it up - updated w/bonus tracks - 2 years ago

CSN - covers album w/rick rubin - this year ?????????

CSNY - new album - early next year - ?????????????

and there is some i probably forgot.

11. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Perhaps because Neil Young seems to have veto power over any CSNY work he participated in?

Big fat "IMHO" right here.

I'm sure at a personal level, Neil's a great guy. A lot of charity work (Bridge School among others), and apparently always willing to help a friend, etc. But, at the musical/legal level, the guy seems to be a jerk. If it's not perfect to him, it's dead on arrival.

Neil, c'mon: it really IS only rock n' roll. You're not Mozart, you're not Bach. NOBODY is going to remember you a hundred years from now. Why not sign off on some of these projects? You make money, and your fans go away happy. Please - enough is enough with the perfectionist schtick.

[Rant off]

12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Thankfully I have the space now!:cheers:

13. npc145

npc145 music junkie

The Roosevelt Stadium show on August 8, 1974 while not a great show, was a historic one.
    That was the night that Nixon resigned. After the shortened acoustic set, the band came back to play electric. Graham Nash announced that Nixon had just resigned and they broke into a ferocious version of Ohio. Quite a memorable moment.

14. silvertrees

silvertrees Forum Resident

One project you forgot is the Fillmore '70 DVD.

Graham Nash is quoted from late 2007 in Dave Zimmer's lastest edition of CSN the biography as saying "It's the next project I want to do. Not only was it shot beautifully, and they were phenomenal shows, however many nights we recorded and filmed".

For me, this footage is the Holy Grail of unreleased material in the CSN&Y canon. It really deserves to be officially released. This should not be allowed to languish in the vaults any longer...

15. Believe me I am thrilled to be getting anything, as that didn't look likely for a long time, but I think the '70 stuff is where the shinier god resides. So let's hope that if this goes well, they'll decide to revisit the '70 material after this!!! In fact maybe they wanted to do this first, because if they'd released '70 first & '74 second it might have paled in comparison & sold less well. Just a thought...

16. silvertrees

silvertrees Forum Resident

I too am thrilled to see this '74 box see fruition.

It appears that I'm in the miniority in this thread who actually enjoys the Wembley dvd performances. Although each member of the band is obviously chemically enhanced, the songs,IMHO don't suffer for it. The intensity of the gig is palpable. The comraderie between them is undeniable.When CSNY kept their egos in check and poured their energies into the music, they were untouchable.

17. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

The "Holy Grail" of CSNY unreleased material for me is as follows: the version of "Wind On The Water" from Sausalito in 12/74 that Stills supposedly tried to cut up; studio versions of "Prison Song", "And So It Goes", and "Human Highway" from 6/73; "Little Blind Fish"; Crosby & Nash's vocals on the Stills-Young tracks from 4/76, as well as additional material attempted during the sessions. Some of this stuff has been out there for a long time, but not most of it, and not in very good quality.

I love the 1974 shows in general. I think Kunkel, Drummond & Joe Lala was the best rhythm section CSNY ever had. Plus, there is a lot of diversity in the material they played. I have always thought that the early shows were better than the later ones. They are really good in Seattle and Oakland. Other shows seemed more spotty.

18. bumper

bumper Forum Resident

I'll second that. I've been hoping that someday some live '74 material would be released. This is GREAT news!

19. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

Any new info on this release?

20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You need to listen closer to Neil's stuff...there are errors all over the place in his albums. I can spot 5 of them on Rust Never Sleeps (album) and several in the movie of the same name. Neil is not about perfection. You're way off base in your statement.

And in 100 years, Neil will be remembered. Again, you'r eoff base.

21. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

I agree the 1970 footage is the CSNY holy grail. It's also my dream project to be the one who would get to edit the footage into a movie. I'd gladly do it for free.

22. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

In a hundred years, I won't be here to worry about it. And neither will Neil. :wave:

23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

In a hundred years, Neil will be releasing a new album featuring a reworked version of a lost 70s classic originally intended for Chrome Dreams, and prepping Archives Vol. 3, covering his Geffen years.

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Any updates on the '74 CSNY live set? I'm really hoping this project happens.

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

nothing.

even more puzzling, not a single snippet about the CSN/rick rubin covers project. it seems to have just faded away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.