CSNY 1974 Tour Box Set Coming - 1974-08-23, Stadium, Tampa, Florida

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David P. Hill, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butch

butch Senior Member

HAHAHA! Your pinky then is it? I am using my middle finger right now to express my feelings about him right now!:winkgrin: It's all good that he has fans but he has detractors as well....to each his own. I would love to see him try to produce crusty old curmudgeon Van Morrison and hear about the melee' that would ensue afterwards.....

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

So they actually managed to record something? This seems a real disaster for CSN-- A real shot at a comeback, their fans were certainly waiting for it, and a couple of the arrangements they played live sounded quite promising. Its anyones guess if they can gear back up and recapture the moment. Maybe if Neil comes to the rescue again....

3. butch

butch Senior Member

Isn't Shakey supposed to join the fold again? At least that's what I've heard.....

4. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Producers come and go, like bands and girlfriends. I remember a time when everything was produced by Don Gehman, or Mitchell Froom, or poor Greg Ladany, or Jeff Lynne (!). I did buy some records because of who sat on the producer's chair! I used to buy anything produced by Malcom Burn, who was a kind of a Lanois sidekick, because one of my favourite albums ever is Living With The Law by the late Chris Whitley. A lot of guys can really build a new sound for a performer, think about Eno or Lanois or Rundgren, and sometimes they eat up everything with their sonic solutions, for example Lanois who tends to make all the records he produces a Lanois-sounding project. Now it's T-Bone time, but let's wait for another coupe of mono productions and we'll talk about. Rubin is probably a very charismatic guy, but he seems to be a producer whose way to work is 'not producing' at all. Neil Diamond and his guitar, Jacob Dylan and his guitar, Johnny Cash and his guitar or with a couple of Heartbreakers. Probably he takes a lot of executives decisions, and maybe he's able to smell the zeitgeist of the moment giving good advices in terms of career moves, chlotes, haircuts...what the heck do I know. It seems to me that his lucky star is fading away, but maybe tomorrow he'll jump on a Barry Manilow project and he'll be back in the saddle again. Barry Manilow solo with his piano , obviously.

5. butch

butch Senior Member

He doesn't produce at times. I seem to remember Glenn Danzig saying that he would be away from the studio for weeks at a time (at the beach mind you) and call him and ask: "how is my record coming?" Never mind what Angus said about him, it's too vitriolic even for me. Picca I thought the Barry Manilow reference was great,maybe he can reunite Barry and Bette for a duet album with Barry on piano and the both on vocals.

I'm a big Todd Rundgren fan and I've heard varying reports about him. XTC had a hard time with him BUT in the end they loved the result. I think that TPOH complained to him that he wasn't producing enough! BUT at least he shows up for the stuff he produces, I must give him that much...

6. elvissinatra

elvissinatra Forum Resident

Bob Johnston.

7. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

I know that it's the wrong thread and I apologize with the other gentlemen involved, but could you please recommend to a big Skylarking fan a couple of Rundgren's efforts?. Thank you mate.

8. butch

butch Senior Member

You mean he was like Rick not showing up at the sessions? And to paraphrase Angus Young Rubin just likes being a j#$%&*f who puts his names on CDs! I'm curious as to what degree BJ knew the studio asopposed to being totally ignorant like Rubin was and still is. And Johnston was a decent enough musician as well.

9. butch

butch Senior Member

10. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

11. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

People on this thread are questioning Rick Rubin? Must be the old white guy "get off my lawn" contingent. Of course, this is a CSN thread...

Yeah, the guy misfired on AC/DC, but his track record is phenomenal:

1. Produced the only listenable Mick Jagger album (Wandering Spirit)
    2. Produced BY FAR the best three Tom Petty albums (Wildflowers, She's the One, Echo)
    3. Produced two of the greatest hip-hop albums of the 80s (Raising Hell, Licensed to Ill)
    4. Produced the only Chili Peppers stuff worth listening to (anything post-BSSM)
    5. Oh AND...just happen to have produced the best music of Johnny Cash's career

Not to mention lesser-known (but great) stuff like the "I Love You and You" album by the Avett Brothers.

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Sorry, but I'll take his worst tracks on Sun over Nine Inch Nails and Beck covers.

13. butch

butch Senior Member

Mate from what I've been reading about him, he is an executive producer at worst! As Graham Nash had stated he seemed distracted. As for Cash, better than tunes like Ring Of Fire, Boy Named Sue? I can't agree with that....once again to each his own....

14. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Probably there's a difference between producing solo acts or bands. With a band you basically got to capture the sound at its best, they're supposed to have reharsed the songs for a long time before entering the studio, so probably you'll need a good engineer and that's it. With solo acts you got to create a sonic territory, give the guy a sound, colours, personality, choose the right musicians, the right engineer. It's more an executive work. When it comes to produce three guys like Crosby Stills & Nash in their sixties and with their commercial appeal around zero, you gotta come up with something that can tickle the press and the old fans who are now used to buy CS&N crap since 1982 or so. It's not that easy, I guess. The three buddies got three egos as big as Jupiter, they're old and tired, got fake teeth and transplanted livers and totally different economic situations (I did read somewhere that Nash is the only wealthy one). Really a man's job. Coming up with the idea of a cover album with Stones and JT's hits doesn't sounds like the brightest idea to my ears. Something in a Band of Joy's vein would be more fashinating to me, but who the hell knows....

15. butch

butch Senior Member

Good call.....Hurt was a bit much wasn't it?

16. butch

butch Senior Member

Stills told his son Chris to not sell his publishing,I guess he didn't heed his own advice otherwise! To respond to your old guys comment, I saw them with young in 2006 and they seemed OK for old farts. I do agree that the covers album is not a good idea BUT look what it did for Rod The Mod's moribund career!

17. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

I'm CS&N biggest fan, believe me. I was exaggerating a little. I mean...thety're not a band and still not a solo act. Probably they got multiple managers, lawyers, counselors.... Very hard to find common ground and start a new phase.

18. butch

butch Senior Member

I did an interview with a producer very recently that had worked with Crobsy and Nash at one time. He told me the story of another group he produced that started out as a band of brothers and then had the managers and agents infiltrated the studio as it were. Very sad and so typically rock and roll. Though I gather that David and Graham are very friendly whereas Stills is a bit grumpy with David....

19. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Do you know what I'd like? I'd like to buy a record, a honest piece of creativity, an album of 8 or 9 songs, in which Crosby could recapture the unearthy sounds and melodies of his youth on the Sunset Strip and on Mount Tamalpais, in which Willie Nash could be once again the craftsman of the perfect 3 minute singalong single that builds a bridge between Carnaby Street and Haight Ashbury, and good ole damn Sergeant Steve Stills could tell the story of Captain Manyhands and his long strange trip in the seas of stardom, disillusion, women, neil youngs, vices, virtues, fears and that friggin' mess that his life must have been. Everything produced by Rick Rubin, obviously. Sorry for my terrible english, mates.

20. butch

butch Senior Member

Mate your English is fine. I'd pass on Rubin as you can imagine. The only way I see them coming back as a force if and only if NY comes back into the fold. They don't have to make a Falling Forward, they can reproduce Neil's latest project just like they did with Living With War. Believe it or not, I'm a fan of CSN and Neil Young BUT not as CSN & Y. I think Neil Young put it best once when he said(I'm paraphrasing here):"they are one and I'm not."

21. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

I want to go in Twilight zone territory: if me-myself-I could produce Dave Crosby, Steve Stills and Willie Nash, you'll get the most heartbreaking comeback of all time. A CS&N Time Out Of Mind, a CS&N The Man Comes Around, if you know what I mean. Those guys got so many stories in them. So many roads. ........Just kidding.

22. butch

butch Senior Member

I'll go into Night Gallery territory instead...imagine an album produced by Timbaland with Justin Timberlake involved and voila' instant flop!:eek: Just ask Duran, Duran and Chris Cornell about how well that worked out....

23. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

On the "Hot Dog" album -

my favorite thing as I found it in the "cut-out" bin for 99 cents.

Just kidding -
    If Anybody Had A Heart is a fine pop song.
    Got to Keep Open and Arrows are very good, IMHO.

I like the title song, however the production now seems quite dated.

24. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Or Pharrell.

25. butch

butch Senior Member

Live It Up sounded a bit dated back in 90 more or less. On the whole it was a by the numbers album with the exception of the glaringly 1986 sounding title track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.