CSNY 1974 Tour Box Set Coming - 1974-08-23, Stadium, Tampa, Florida

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David P. Hill, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

The Dead have people hired to do this kind of stuff and it seems like none of the band members are particularly vain about releasing their archives, given that it's all out there already.

Still, a shame that this CSNY set continues to be vaporware.

2. I strongly doubt we'll ever get to see this released.

3. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

They played 70-80 different songs during the tour, so they hadn't a standard setlist. It' s hard to compile a satisfying and representative album from these shows. I think that it should better release complete shows like the Grateful Dead, expecially because they're enough lucky to have kept the multitracks

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I agree, but they will never do it. Even if Neil were not to block such a concept, I don't think even Nash and the others would want to release complete shows.

5. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

I ask the same question about Springsteen, a notorious control freak/perfectionist. An awful lot of this stuff also is already out there.

6. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

40th Anniversary doesn't have a thing to do with this being delayed. Three words do though...Neil ****ing Young.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  7. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

Actually, this could be Graham's doing too - If he wants to tour as CSNY, Neil is booked through the summer of 2013, but by waiting on the box til 2014, there is a chance they could get Neil to tour - No way he'd doing it in 2013...

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

with "y" they play big place and get big crowds.

more concessions, parking, souvenirs etc.

your take on waiting for neil could be true, however, don't you think after all this time they would know better than to "wait for neil"?

9. Heart of Gold

I have "read" tons of **** against the Live at The Wembley 1974. Well, I have listened today to the bootleg and it's f...great.I have seen CSN or NY probably 30 times in the last 25 years and they were never so great like in these concerts. People listen to the music on their smartphones or on Youtube and think that this is the reality of the things. This audio is sourced from the multitracks, forget the audience 1974 tapes. The voices and instruments are well separated and mixed. Finally, the voice of Joni Mitchell is well mixed and sounds good. CSNY in 1974 were really great and Neil was a genius at the top of his game. I'm sorry for the all these bad reviews I have read and Nash is perfectly right about the quality of these tapes and concerts. I hope that Nash and Bernstein can finally release their boxset, better also together with the Wembley DVD.

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think the box set will ultimately come to fruition, but I am skeptical about the prospects of seeing a Wembley DVD actually get released.

11. Heart of Gold

My "rant" was against the bad reviews. I had believed all these bad reviews before buying the DVD. The DVD is an important document of a great supergroup at their peak. CSNY in this footage don't look worse than the other contemporary bands. Footage of some historical importance and excellent music.

12. djbarry

djbarry Master of time, space and dimension.

I have to respectfully disagree. Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ was a steel and cement baseball stadium built in 1937 was a WPA project. It was home to the NY baseball Giant AAA team until 1950, after which it was basically abandoned for any regular use. It was a rotting, hulking, decaying monster with no amenities. It was the perfect metaphor for post Watergate America. It became the Dead's favorite metropolitan area venue upon the closing of the Fillmore. CSNY appropriately played there the night that Nixon resigned. I was not there, but my friends were. I saw them the following day at the now demolished Atlantic City Racetrack. Santana opened and it poured throughout their set. I remember a few acoustic songs by CSNY including Sugar Mountain. They then abandoned that idea, not rudely, and went on to jam into the night. It was a great show.

13. djbarry

Fantastic.

14. djbarry

I always thought that it was Stills that was the jackass. Did you ever see the footage from Celebration at Big Sur, where he actually comes off of the stage to fight with someone in the audience who was heckling him?

15. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

What, exacly, are you disagreeing with? I called it a dump & you just confirmed that status. BTW, it WAS used after 1950. The Brooklyn Dodgers played a few "home games " there, in 1956 & 1957, sort of a dry run for moving the team to LA in 1958. It still is the worst place I have ever seen a concert at.

16. Larry Geller

Glad you liked it, but if it was today, you would not be able to see it, as we can no longer post things.:realmad:

17. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree with you a 100%! I watched the whole thing about a month ago and it was enjoying! I didnt see that much bad about it! All it needs is to clean up the video and the audio! I would buy it if it came out! I see the youtube video has been pulled now which sucks!

18. Heart of Gold

Almost...

19. djbarry

As I said " It was a rotting, hulking, decaying monster with no amenities. It was the perfect metaphor for post Watergate America. It became the Dead's favorite metropolitan area venue upon the closing of the Fillmore." It was the fact that it was decaying that gave such contrast to the music performed therein. There was a demented sort of poetry to that place. There was beauty in the decay. It might as well have been the Roman Coliseum. I loved it

bonus likes this.
  20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

If this isn't going to be released in all analog mono then I'm not buying :)

21. Larry Geller

Yeah, all that was missing were the lions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.