CSNY '74 Tour CD/DVD/Blu-Ray (Part 3, Carry On...)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff Thread Starter

2. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

Wasn't Crosby & Nash's album a bigger seller than the Stills/Young one in the later '70s?

The popularity stakes might have been a bit more fluid than basing it on NY's popularity pre and post joining CSN.

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

^ Everyone bought a copy of Decade- that was the big seller in the later 70's^

tank64 and HAmmer like this.
  4. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Just got listening to side one. I tend to agree that they sound a little ragged. However, I still enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the set. I will say that as a listening experience, I can almost feel the "drip" in my nasal passages. I guess they weren't kidding when they said they were pretty wired.

Dee Zee likes this.
  5. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Just finished Set One and Loved It!!

zen likes this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Decade sold so many copies in the Smyrna/Murfreesboro, Tennessee area, in 1977 and '78, that I could hear it anywhere outside of my apartment, and didn't buy my own copy until around 2000 or so, on CD.
    This was before Nissan came to town ( tripling the population ).
    If there was a tray under the couch, Decade was on the turntable.

7. Woodville

Woodville Forum Resident

Finally got mine the other day (was waiting for my local mom and pop shop to restock - waited so long for this another week or two was no biggie).

Love reading all the opinions here. Have a few audience recordings from '74 already and the Wembly DVD so I knew what to expect.

I couldn't be happier with this set. Hats of to Graham for getting this to us.

For me standout cuts are Black Queen, Long May You Run, Traces, Mellow My Mind, Carry Me, Cut My Hair, Prison Song, Grave Concern. And more. Weird thing., Revolution Blues may be my fave NY song but I prefer my old audience tape. And Pushed It Over the End isn't quite as good as the version that's out there with overdubs. But those are minor quibbles. Love the set!

Just wish we could get vinyl without spending $500! Are you listening, Graham?

qtrules likes this.
  8. BongRattlingBass

BongRattlingBass Forum Resident

I wonder how many copies of the limited vinyl set is still available? I am still able to fill my cart but I can't pull the trigger .

9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

mine is finally coming this weekend

10. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

I got the Blu-ray version and only had a chance to watch the bonus dvd and im very happy.
    The sound is excellent on the concert footage. I'll listen to the blu-ray this weekend

11. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

In 1976, the numbers are virtually identical: Stills/Young and Whistling Down The Wire both peaked at #26, both certified Gold. BUT, the thing is that that was the THIRD Crosby & Nash album in 4 years! The first two, Graham Nash David Crosby and Wind On The Water, peaked at #4 and #6. They also had a nice best of and a very nice live album in 77 and 78 -- a total of 5 albums in 6 years. Most people forget just how solid these guys were in this span.

This is all leaving the "chicken or egg" debate aside, as well as the debate whether Neil was the chicken or the egg. :angel:

(Note that all three of those Crosby & Nash albums are represented on CSNY 74.)

Also true in Dallas, down through central Texas, where my best friend's father was the mayor of La Vergne! :wave:

I just looked it up, though, and the number of sales could have been as low as 330,000 units in the entire decade it took Decade to be certified Platinum (1986 to be exact). In the vinyl days, each album was counted as a separate unit, so, take that million and divide by 3.

You're absolutely right, though. In the demographic that you and I apparently share, Decade was ubiquitous from darn near the day it was released, no doubt about it.

tug_of_war, Chrome_Head and qtrules like this.
  12. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Does anybody know if I can play the blu ray version without having a TV connected. I use a DVD/blu ray/ CD player sometimes to play CD's, vinyl being preferred format but sadly not an option on this release. I was thinking if I could just slip the blu ray in & it plays without having to navigate with TV then I purchase. Failing this I may just for the £20 itunes download.
    Thanks in advance if I I get a reply.

13. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Pure audio Blu-Ray
    I have just found my answer

RubenH likes this.
  14. Kelv2014

Kelv2014 Member

Do you think Nash erased Crosby and Nash's voices off "Long May You Run" on the CSNY 1974 disc since it just has Stills and Young?

frogfog likes this.
  15. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

:edthumbs:

16. Dee Zee

Listening to set 2. I predict right now this release is going to win archival release of the year. Wow.

17. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

I'd be interested to hear opinions on the 'Long May You Run' album, coming as it did smack in the middle of Neil's blistering run of brilliance. I bought it the day it came out, thought it absolutely sucked, and in the three or four times (maybe) I've heard it since, it still sucks. I prefer not to think of it at all when considering the One the Beach through Rust Never Sleeps era; that thought is just too depressing.

Big Train and jsayers like this.
  18. Dee Zee

I really like the Long May You Run album. Raggedy, yes. Split-personality, yes. But has some gems.

19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

June '77 CSN releases the boat album and evens up the score on Neil. Then fades away into the abyss.

CybrKhatru, footlooseman and bonus like this.
  20. Kossjak

Kossjak Forum Resident

Yes, you can. Once the bd is loaded just push Enter button on the remote.

Tuck1977 likes this.
  21. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I've always liked Long May You Run. Title song is a gem with many others very enjoyable to my ears. Let It Shine another gem. To each his own though. I'm sure their are a few Young or Stills albums that I don't like but others love.

Karsten likes this.
  22. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

This was the Miami side of Neil, Neil passed a lot of time there, but honestly the alchemy with Stills didn't work in this album. A lot of gems though. In 1976 Neil was writing and recording great songs, but he was unsure about the musical direction.

23. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

ive tried a couple times to like it...but nope. non essential.

jsayers likes this.
  24. Karsten

Karsten Forum Resident

I never thought there was anything seriously wrong with that album. I guess people would have been expecting a grand artistic statement. Well, it's not and doesn't really try to be. Nor are there many cases of true collaboration, or guitar battles. But on it's own terms it is still a very solid album in my opinion. I like all the tracks, most of them quite a bit.
    Neil obviously doesn't bring his very best material for that period, but nothing is less than enjoyable, anyway, and at least two of his numbers here are pretty great as far as I'm concerned. I actually prefer what Stills brings to the table here.
    I think it all comes down to to what extend one enjoys Stills' songwriting during these years. Many of my favorite Stills songs are from these lesser solo albums between 73 and 78, and with better quality control the butter wouldn't have been spread so thin over one or two too many slices of bread, so to speak (though the 75 album is actually great as it is). Two of my favorite Stills songs are on Long May You Run.

alchemy and Hep Alien like this.
  25. Dee Zee

Long May You Run is long overdue for a remaster & reissue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.