CTI Japan 2013 "Supreme Collection" Series (Direct from Masters- No EQ Added)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by noname74, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm really looking forward to the Stone Flower.
    I'm listening to "Blue Moses" at the moment. Very nice! I like the 40th too, and I have an lp copy I love the sound of.

g.z. likes this.
  2. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Trevor great sounding flat transfer on the new blu spec release of Stone Flower. Not having the title before I bought the new release (I was familiar with the music) I guess I was quite surprised with the amount of tape hiss, however, from comments here it is the best we will get in the original mix. I am happy to have it without any noise reduction. Thank you for your comments on the previous releases.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  3. Received some more titles in the series, among them Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay.

I already had the Mark Wilder remaster for that Album (which has almost 30 minutes extra music compared to the new Japanese release).

For Sound qualiy, I slightly prefer the new Japanese release over the remaster, mainly for a better soundstage. It is not a big upgrade though, in my opinion. I think the Mark Wilder remaster is absolutely fine.

4. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I looked at my CTI CDs and see many are 2001 releases with bonus material, while others are '96 Japanese releases. I haven't been unhappy with the SQ so I probably won't upgrade.

5. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

Well if thats the way you feel, then thats the way you will feel. However if you are a true enthusiast you'd at least test out the newer releases to be sure? The 2010-2011 (40th Anniversary) releases are from different sources and not remixes like the older ones. You may be surprised by the sonic improvements to the Freddie Hubbard albums and In The Beginning by Hubert Laws (night and day difference on that one). The Japanese 2013 release of She Was Too Good to Me, Fingers, Penny Arcade, Beck, and Sunflower are definitely unlike any other release you've ever heard in digital.

Come to think of it, since you mentioned the latest date as 2001, then you are still probably holding on the the old 1987 issues of First Light, Cherry (those can go in the dumpster), Big Blues? And you've never seen Blue Moses or Outback?

6. ganma

ganma Senior Member

OK. You've convinced me to try out some. I have the late '90s Japanese releases of Outback and Fingers and I have a reissue of First Light with bonus tracks.
    I might try In The Beginning as I remember loving it more on vinyl that I have the CD. I didn't think much of Cherry or Sunflower but maybe that's because of the SQ ...

7. Lonson

Just got this in and listened to it. I love this album, and this may become my favorite version (I do like the RVG and the 40th anniversary too, they're all different windows into the event.

The biggest fault I find with this release is. . . the personnel credits aren't exactly right on the back tray. :)

[​IMG]

ultron9 likes this.
  8. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

Anyone pick up God Bless the Child by Kenny Burrell yet? I just got this one, and I noticed a lot of distortion on this one. It's also on the 40th Anniversary edition too but this is the first time I've heard this album since I upgraded my system with a subwoofer. This album has a lot of bass detail in the 30hz-40hz region but it sounds like its over amplified to the point of distortion. Also Burrell's guitar in many tracks is just too obvious, like the gains were too high when it was recorded.

I also got the Upchurch/Tennyson album today also. I knew very little about it. It sound fine. Its a very varied album, it reminds me of a old soul jazz radio station. Good stuff for setting a mood in a relaxed social envoirnment.

9. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

The problem for me is that I own almost all of these titles on vinyl and most of them IMHO sound pretty stinkin' good. So, I'm afraid, I'm not really interested in re-buying titles I already own. However, for those who don't already have these titles.............

10. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

g.z. and rjstauber like this.
  11. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I just saw these at the department store (Maruestsu?), they're only Y975

12. I see from your list on DR Database that you don't seem to have these titles:

George Benson - Good King Bad
    Art Farmer & Jim Hall - Big Blues
    Esther Phillips - From A Whisper To A Scream

I have those (and about 15 others which you also have) and do like those.

13. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

Big Blues is on the list. Under Jim Hall and Art Farmer. http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=54782
    I am currently waiting on Mama Wailer, Gilberto with Turrentine, and Giant Box.

Thanks for correcting that link.

Y

14. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

I just listened to the Astrud Gilberto with Stanley Turrentine album, and I think this is the only one of the new batch so far that I'm not impressed with. The sonics aren't that good. It comes across as a bit muffled with noticeable distortion on my system. I recommend the Rudy Van Gelder remastering from 2009 it's a lot more clear and slightly better dynamic range which is odd because they are supposedly from the same tape.

15. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

I've never been a big fan of Don Sebesky's Giant Box exactly, but this new version sounds really good sonic wise. I really like the sound stage, it sounds like theres more depth and width in comparison with the previous Japanese issue from 2006. The former one sounded a bit dark in coloration, but this new one sounds perfectly balanced from bass to treble allowing more detail in the instruments to be realized. It's never been my favorite album but hearing it this way makes me wanna listen to it a second time now. I still think Pslam 150 and Semi Tough could be omitted though.

Also got Lonnie Smith's Mama Wailer.

16. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I finally come to the realization that most CTI release are not that great musically, imo...besides the Gabor Szabo, Deodato and Freddie Hubbard stuff..I've been trying to find the 1st pressing K32Y releases of the stuff I like...Most CTI stuff seems too soft to me, what are some other CTI release that aren't smooth jazz, stuff that rocks....? The related Kudu stuff, like Lonnie Smith is WAY better, I've got to get Mama Wailer, me loves Dave Hubbard, it seems everything he's on is great. The Kudu stuff is still slightly cheesy, not that there's anything wrong with that...these things are under $10 here, great deals !.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  17. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I was not at all impressed by these blu-spec CTIs compared to Mr Wilder's remasters (40th anniv.)

18. ganma

ganma Senior Member

The Joe Farrell albums are good — Joe Farrell Quartet, Outback and Moon Germs in particular. Canned Funk is pretty good too.
    Idris Muhammad — Power Of Soul
    George Benson — Body Talk, Good King Bad
    Airto — Fingers

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    ultron9 likes this.
  19. Lonson

I only have been able to directly compare two (Stone Flower, Blue Moses) and I'm in the opposite camp: I prefer the CTI Supreme for its original sound and less eq futzing.

ultron9 likes this.
  20. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

Im not exactly sure what you mean by "Smooth Jazz", I didn't learn that term until Song Bird by Kenny G. CTI consist of Jazz, R&B, and Funk then later Disco. I bail out when it comes to the disco stuff. I would agree some albums with too much orchestra are a turn off, but a couple I like.
    To my ear stuff that "rocks" would be;
    Red Clay by Freddie Hubbard
    Keep your soul together by Freddie Hubbard
    Straight Life By Freddie Hubbard
    Sugar Stanley Turrentine
    Don't Mess with Mr T by Turrentine
    Cherry by Stanley Turrentine
    Macho by Gabor Szabo
    In the Beginning by Hubert Laws
    Prelude by Deodato
    Deodato 2 by Deodato
    Beyond the Blue Horizon by George Benson
    Bad Benson by George Benson
    Penny Arcade by Joe Farrell
    Upon This Rock by Joe Farrell
    Outback by Joe Farrell
    Virgin Land by Airto
    Gamblers Life by Johnny Hammond
    Goodbye by Milt Jackson
    Olinga by Milt Jackson
    All Blues by Ron Carter
    Stone Flower by Jobim
    Concerto by Jim Hall
    She was too good to me by Chet Baker
    Big Blues by Art Farmer and Jim Hall
    Gerry Mullegen and Chet Baker at Carnegie Hall
    George Benson at Carnegie Hall
    New York Jazz Quartet
    Freddie Hubbard & Stanley Turrentine in Concert Vol 1 and 2
    Montreux II by Bill Evans

Oops I'm getting carried away! I could keep going but I'll stop. This should be more than enough to give you food for thought.

21. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Well most of them certainly had a "house" sound or style. Out of the 40 initial (I hope there are more coming), I bought "White Rabbit", "Red Clay"and "Power of Soul".

I hope that a second release will include Grover Washington's "Soul Box" and "Mr. Magic"

Yesternow likes this.
  22. Which albums were released in the 40th anniversary series and how can they be identified? Were all titels remastered by M. Wilder?

23. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

There was about 30 releases plus a box set from 2010-2011. Look here . This were all released in a mini lp style paper sleeve, so they aren't hard to miss. They were all Produced by Richard Siedel and mastered by Mark Wilder.
    They sounded ok for the most part, but what turns me off was the very flemsy super cheap paper sleeve they come in.
    And this comment by Mark Wilder on the mastering approach.
    These 2013 releases do not have that folding, which I think was a silly move on Sony's end. White Rabbit, Giant Box especially needs the wide stereo imho.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    yasujiro likes this.
  24. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Per my comparison of the Deodato disc (2010 Wilder, and "Supreme" japanese 2013 "flat"), I am of the opinion that this special house sound of CTI needed whatever mastering moves Mr Wilder did; his disc is juicy and colourful, while the latest from japan is dry and uninvolving (to my ears and through my system).

I ll do later the comparison of the japanese "Supreme" Jim Hall's Concierto against the 2000 japanese RVG SHM-CD one.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.