Cullen Digital Cable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Smitty43, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smitty43

Smitty43 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anybody now anything about this cable as I just ordered it to try from my CDP to Shiit Modi 2 Uber DAC ?

2. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

3. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

4. Captain Wiggette

I did, there's no specs listed. So hard to know, don't know what the cable stock is. But looks like he's covering the basics, and based on the description it is likely a professional cable.

5. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

not sure what specs you're looking for

7 MM flexible PVC Outer Jacket
    True 75 Ohm Cable from tip to tip
    18 AWG solid High Purity copper center conductor
    High-density double shielding for maximum rejection of EMI and RF
    95% coverage tinned copper braid shield
    125% coverage Mylar foil shield

I'm not a big cable guy but I don;t think its necessary that they have to tell you what the bulk cable they use is.

Smitty43 and Brother_Rael like this.
  6. Captain Wiggette

Right, that's not specifications for hardly anything. No idea what the performance of that cable is.

Cable performance specifications look more like this:

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/1694A.pdf

or

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quad/

or

http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=74

Could be an excellent cable, could be garbage. Impossible to say. The rudimentary description they provide suggest that they are informed as to basic cabling engineering requirements, and so I'd wager it's probably a solid cable, but without any specifications of what the cable is or how it performs we simply do not know. We know only that it has shielding, it's ostensibly 75 ohm, and it's a solid core copper cable (which is [sort-of] desireable for this application).

Where a consumer needs cable performance, you need to know what that performance is, otherwise you're just buying blind. At these distances, though, paper clips would probably work, so go at it I suppose. It's just amusing, given the amount of engineering that go into high-performance professional cabling and signal products, that people spend (rather ridiculous) sums of money on 'who-knows-what-fell-off-the-truck.'

And if someone is selling cables, and presuming they were selling excellent cables, why wouldn't they want to tell us that? If someone is selling you a performance race car, does it make sense that all they tell you is: it's a race car, it has 4 wheels, it goes fast, and it's blue.

Smitty43 likes this.
  7. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

It's good cable, I use one. I like Cullen's stuff and he's easy to do business with.

Smitty43 likes this.
  8. Smitty43

Thanks I read this and from what I understand the cable needs to be 75ohm and shielded and I have been using a Phono cable and a standard digital cable but decided to give this one a try. Hopefully it will work out.

9. Smitty43

He is easy to deal with and seems very honest. And if you read all the cable and equipment reviews on line who are we supposed believe. So for a step up from standard cable I will give Cullen cable a try..It can always add to my collection of other cables in stock LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.