Cultural Song Lyric Annotations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by martyweil, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martyweil

martyweil Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm interested in song lyric meanings, but not strictly in a poetic sense. Rather, I'd like to know about historic, political, and/or cultural references in songs. This would be especially handy for country blues songs from the 20s, 30s, and 40s, but, also, even relatively contemporary pop songs (60s, 70s, 80s), which contain references which evade current listeners' understanding either because technology, fashion, politics, etc. has blotted its meaning.

A simple example can be found in the lyrics of Chuck Berry's masterpiece "Promised Land." While anyone who flew commercially in the mid-20th century will likely understand what Chuck is referring to when he is "workin' on a T-bone steak a la carte" (Chuck brilliantly mispronounces "carte" to rhyme with "party") while flying over the Golden State. An annotation that explains meal service on commercial airlines in the 60s would help GenY listeners understand why this line fits in so perfectly--helping to paint a picture of a poor boy enjoying a high-class experience that could happen only in The Promised Land at its post-war zenith. Eating a T-Bone steak with side dishes made to order--while flying over California!--that was really high living in 1964 when the average American earned less than $5,000 per year.

So, does anyone know of a site or book that has annotated songs to define quickly disappearing cultural references within the lyrics?

Also, please share interesting examples of sociocultural references that could be annotated for the benefit and enjoyment of the future generation of listeners?

John B Good and mark winstanley like this.
  2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

We are the Village Green Preservation Society
    God save Donald Duck, Vaudeville and Variety
    We are the Desperate Dan Appreciation Society
    God save strawberry jam and all the different varieties

Preserving the old ways from being abused
    Protecting the new ways for me and for you
    What more can we do

We are the Draught Beer Preservation Society
    God save Mrs. Mopp and good Old Mother Riley
    We are the Custard Pie Appreciation Consortium
    God save the George Cross and all those who were awarded them

We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
    Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
    We are the Office Block Persecution Affinity
    God save little shops, china cups and virginity
    We are the Skyscraper condemnation Affiliate
    God save tudor houses, antique tables and billiards

Preserving the old ways from being abused
    Protecting the new ways for me and for you
    What more can we do
    God save the Village Green

We are the Village Green Preservation Society
    God save Donald Duck, Vaudeville and Variety
    We are the Desperate Dan Appreciation Society
    God save strawberry jam and all the different varieties

God save the Village Green

---

About It's That Man Again - British Comedy Guide

Liverpudlian comedian Tommy Handley, whose comedy radio show It's That Man Again (better known simply as ITMA) was the most successful comedy series to be broadcast during the Second World War.

the most iconic character to come out of this series was Mrs Mopp (Summers), the office char lady whose catchphrase "Can I do you now, sir?" quickly became one of the show's most well known.​

[​IMG]

===

Old Mother Riley - Wikipedia

Old Mother Riley was a music hall act which originally ran from about 1934 to 1954 played by Arthur Lucan... Old Mother Riley (full comedy name; Daphne Bluebird Snowdrop Riley) was an Irish washerwoman and charwoman character, devised by Lucan​

[​IMG]

===

Desperate Dan - Wikipedia

Desperate Dan is a wild west character in the British comic magazine The Dandy and has become their mascot. He made his appearance in the first issue which was dated 4 December 1937. He is apparently the world's strongest man, able to lift a cow with one hand. The pillow of his (reinforced) bed is filled with building rubble and his beard is so tough he shaves with a blowtorch.​

[​IMG]

steviebee and mark winstanley like this.
  3. martyweil

Great post. I have a whole new respect for that song. You should think about doing more along these lines. You're a pro at it.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I wonder how many youngsters (meaning my age and younger ) understand the "Tidewater four-ten-O-nine" reference.

martyweil and ianuaditis like this.
  6. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Pretty much the entire premise of Genius, which was originally called Rap Genius. The site was started to help define the dense self-references and ebonics in hip-hop to an outsider audience. Though they have expanded to all genres, the site is lacking the same level of attention to stuff that’s not rap. Anyone can sign up and contribute though.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  7. martyweil

Great point. Another reference obscured by time--exactly why annotations are going to be necessary for 20th-century music to be understood in the 22nd century.

8. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I think this is sometimes called Presentism.

I can't research the details now, but a lot of blues songs about rising waters do refer to a major flood in the southern US sometime in the last century. Most of us probably miss most allusions in many songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.