Culture Club new album and tour news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

LOL You can never tell with them, but I think there might be a chance it will finally come out in 2018 given that they now have a contract with BMG, a major label.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, there's plenty of stuff from Luxury (demos, B-Side mixes, etc) that they could have included on the box set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

They actually did record quite a few songs in the early 90's but the reunion never happened because George changed his mind. The lyrics to some of these songs are quoted on the Lyrically Speaking site, but they have never been heard. I think they were produced by Peter Asher. Those are the ones I want to hear the most.
    George's voice was at its best in the early 90's.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i don't mind it having george solo stuff but they left off "the crying game" which is silly and they left off 3-4 culture club hits/singles. again silly. i'll look at the tracklisting and see if i have a question about any particular songs but it helps just seeing a list of what was unreleased on the boxset thanks to that website that was provided.

• Put It Down
    • Kissing To Be Clever
    • Stand Down
    • Next 2 You
    • Peculiar World
    • Believe
    • Love Is Lonely
    • Moghul Tomb
    • How D'Ya Keep Your Credibility?
    • Is There Cream In This Soup?
    • Masheri
    • Grand Scheme Of Things
    • Lions Roar
    • If I Were U
    • Hiroshima
    • Crystal Blue Persuasion
    • Armageddon
    • Run, Run, Run

5. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

Waking Up was an album with several decent tunes, but even George and the band admit they were tired and overworked, and the album was rushed out too soon after CBN and a massive world tour.

If they'd have taken three months to rest and relax before recording, who knows what might have happened!

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

We might have gotten an album that isn't so forgettable. :)

7. Matthew Tate

website helped a ton. I know pretty much know where every song that was released prior to the boxset came from. of course there are tone of remixes on there and I have no idea when they were remixed or where they were released.

a question about 1 song though. where is "if the lord can forgive" from?

8. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Bad Boy George is misbehaving!
    He hung up on this Australian interviewer because she dared to mention the 80's and gender bending! George got mad because she was referring to him in the past tense.
    Yet most of what he sings is songs from the 80's. I think without nostalgia and people's love for the 80's George wouldn't have a career or fans. He needs to get in touch with reality sometimes!

ABC Radio

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, most people don't even know he had/has a solo recording career.

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The alternative title is "Broken Spirit (If The Lord Can Forgive)". It was recorded in 1996 (I think) for what was supposed to be the followup to Chepaness And Beauty. It was eventually released on "The Unrecoupable One Man Bandit" (which I highly recommend).

The Unrecoupable One Man Bandit - Wikipedia

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

He hung up when she started talking about "gender bending" in the 80's. The thing is she wasn't trying to insult him. She was saying that the way he looked had a big impact on young people especially those who were gay, gender fluid or transgender. Her point was back then drag queens weren't as mainstream and everywhere in pop culture as they are now, so how he looked was much more groundbreaking and influential than now. George and to a lesser extent Pete Burns had a huge influence because they were some of the first gender fluid images a lot of people saw in pop culture. They had a huge influence in making that more of an accepted look and image.
    Sometimes George is so angry and has such a chip on his shoulder he doesn't listen to what people are actually trying to say.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Matthew Tate

thank you. looks like almost every song in that link made the boxset

13. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

He was annoyed because he wanted to drone on about the usual, how spiritual he is and how he has changed blah blah blah.
    She should have asked him the year of his last hit record, but then his memory probably doesn't go that far back.

12stringbassist and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

That is a really good album.

15. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Think he said you're boring and hung up lol. Australia loves Boy George - Culture Club were massive here.

16. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Another day, another CC cancellation. Both of the shows in Brazil were cancelled due to low ticket sales. Their statement says they hope to return with the release of the new album on BMG.
    I guess that explains why George was in a bitchy mood and hung up.
    Whoever is their tour manager needs to be immediately fired because they really screwed up by booking all these shows they can't sell out with no album.
    But the biggest problem with their tours, is they have such a large band because G's solo band is also included. I think even with the release of the new album they won't be able to sell out large enough venues to cover their costs. They need to scale back and cut out some of the extra people.

17. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I actually have that Roman Holliday LP. Not sure I would say that every song could be a single, but it's a pretty decent album.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Funny you mention Roman Holiday. There's a connection with CC. Steve Lambert who was in Roman Holiday joined with Jon Moss to do the band Heartbeat UK after CC broke up. They had the one single Jump to It, which is kind of a guilty pleasure. George made fun of Jon for working with someone from Roman Holiday, but I liked their one album!

19. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Maddy5 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

True that! From what I know from following other artists, it takes a certain amount of time from when they finish recording it to the actual release because you have to do mixing, mastering, artwork manufacturing of cd's and vinyl etc.
    So if they are still writing/recording it seems impossible for it to come out in May.
    This is an estimation but from artists I follow it seems like it takes around 5 to 6 months from when they finish the recording to when it gets released usually.
    I do think there may be a chance that it will actually come out this year because now they are signed to a label BMG so they aren't in control of the timeline anymore but the label has input.

22. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Drama! George tweeted that the two shows in South America would be the last CC shows forever! Apparently it was some kind of prank or joke. But it caused a panic with people thinking the shows in Australia were cancelled and they were breaking up for good!

I'm all for joking around, but I think with their history of fighting, cancellation and delays I think it was a very ill advised joke! Not sure if George himself tweeted or as some people say Roy got George's phone and tweeted that as a prank but I think it was very uncool and unprofessional. Whoever is responsible needs to clarify it and apologize!

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I wouldn't have been surprised if it wasn't a joke...

24. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

At first I thought it was serious, but then I read the next tweet in which G or whoever wrote that everyone is invited to George's dressing room for a private acoustic concert! LOL
    Would be funny if fans took him up on that offer.

Then G or whoever tweeted he might change his mind and he'll speak to Gary Numan to see what he thinks, a pun on Gary's hit song! So it was obviously a joke! But a pretty bad one and kind of cruel to fans!

25. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

George was on Argentinian radio and he said his manager was really pissed off about the tweet saying they had broken up and wanted him to remove it. But George said he wouldn't. As I thought, George did it, not Roy!

I don't always agree with his manager's obsession with reality shows, but he is 100% right that it wasn't a good idea to tweet that, making people think shows will be cancelled and they won't follow through on releasing and promoting the new album.
    It might be funny with some other band, but given their history of fighting, cancelling and delaying, it wasn't a very funny joke, but just silly and unprofessional.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.