Culture Club new album and tour news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

Maybe the reason it’s listed as Boy George & CC is not to do with George’s ego but rather promoters ensuring that people know it’s not Culture Club with another singer. I’d leave no piece of information out if I was trying to sell Culture Club tickets. And Boy George is a more stand-alone celebrity figure than Simon le Bon.
    **puts on A-Team VHS**

2. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Yes, but they have done several tours in the last couple of years and it was always just billed as Culture Club. It's not like this is their first tour in years. And George's picture is there on the poster so it's obvious he's the lead singer!
    I think George's celebrity thing is part of the problem. The music has become almost irrelevant sadly.

3. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

The tickets seem to be selling well. What's really helping them in the US is not George's name being put first but they are touring with other 80's groups like Tom Bailey/Thompson Twins and the B-52s! In past tours they appeared by themselves. I was very frustrated I couldn't get close seats at the Wolf Trap show!

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"Everybody loves Culture Club! They're Great!" -B.A Bracus. :)

5. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

This is Boy George, everything is about feeding his planet sized ego...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think they're just covering their bases by mentioning them both in the ads. :shrug:

7. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Does anyone find it ironic Duran Duran also recorded an album with Youth which they rejected called Reportage? Hope Life is received better than Red Carpet Massacre by the fan base which DD released instead! Odd these bands keep rejecting Youth's work!!

8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

It's a management approved ad used in every city. They could list every band member like the FM ad and other reunions but did not.

It's Diana Ross level ego tripping.

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

George is the public face of the band. Do you think 8 out of every 10 audience members know who anyone else is?

10. SoundAdvice

He's only now forced the billing change 35 years Into the band's history. Do you see "Bono & U2" concert posters even though many attendees can't name the other 3?

It's not some rogue promoter, otherwise there would have been song titles and vintage band photos. It's BG's ego bullying the other band members.

Full CC lineups sells a multiple of tickets more than BG solo. Without the other 3 the best BG could do is be just another washed up celeb judge on a talent show.

Maddy5 and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Whose manager? George has a separate manager from the rest of the band! Bet it was his manager!

I don't care too much about the name change as long as there's no real significance such as George making more money than the others.

I wonder if there's any connection between the billing change and the album finally coming out this fall?

Some people have speculated George held up the album because he wanted a greater share of the money or credits.

12. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

I would say that younger fans only know George, but most older fans know the names of all of them. In recent years, the publicity has been all George. But if you look in Instagram and Facebook there are a lot of group photo shoots from the 80's, many more than of singer dominated groups like Garbage or Blondie. George has always been the star but things were more equal in the 80s. Jon and Mikey even said that in an interview.

With the recent tour they only did one group photo shoot which they use over and over again, but in the 80's there were many more.

13. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

They were some pictures of George, Roy and John Themis from George's solo band in the studio with Future Cut, working with an orchestra and a choir. Apparently they are reworking some songs such as Different Man and Runaway Train.

The Future Cut producers seems like an odd choice. They are primarily drum and bass dj's. They have some pop credits with artists that seem to have nothing in common with Culture Club such as Shakira, Rihanna, Olly Murs, Little Mix, Nicole Scherzinger and Lily Allen.

I'm actually not against contemporary electronic music as a lot of people here, but I think that type of producer is ill fitting on Culture Club. Those type of electronic producers are more suited to solo artists than bands. I think a band oriented rock producer like Youth suits them much better. But perhaps Future Cut could do something interesting?

But I always get nervous when I hear an artist is reworking songs. Usually they are never improved. I think most artists are better off going with their instinct and not overthinking things. Some of the best albums are made in a shorter period of time, while ones that take longer are usually not so good.

14. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

15. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

16. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I would have asked Roy how many albums Culture Club have sold.
    Boy George keeps boasting that they have sold 150 million albums, I would really like to see the breakdown of those numbers as they are completely pie in the sky...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

I think it's ridiculous how George always boasts about that and demands people state that number. It's insecurity. Other artists even ones who have sold more don't demand that. For example, I'm a huge Madonna fan and have seen and read hundreds of interviews with her and I could not tell you how many records she has sold because it's not constantly mentioned.

But as a point of correction, it's 150 million records not albums that George claims. That would include both singles and albums.

But I don't see why someone should ask Roy about that. He is not responsible for what George says. The media should challenge George on that point in his interviews.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That seems like an excessively high number to me...

20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Wham, Culture Club, Duran and Spandau Ballet were all huge, but they haven't sold 150 million albums between them.
    He really needs to be pulled up about this idiotic figure....

21. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

It's ridiculous, they only had one really huge selling album.
    Adele is an album selling juggernaut and even she hasn't sold 150 million albums.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

I agree George needs to be challenged, but what does Roy have to do with that? Roy is a down to earth guy who doesn't spend his time counting his money and record sales. So if someone asked him how many albums CC sold, he is most likely not going to know that figure off hand.

The interview with Roy was very interesting on a lot of topics. I find it a bit odd the thing someone would take from that interview that he needs to be asked about CC record sales in some effort to stick it to George.

23. SoundAdvice

Reminds me of Dave Clark 5 recently saying they sold 25 million albums, then a couple years later saying 50 million when none of their music was even available during those years.

24. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

What I would have asked Roy is what was the thinking behind asking fans to pay for the album through Pledge Music and why were fans not given updates and left hanging? I don't mind waiting for a new album but it was disrespectful to ask them to prepay and not deliver the album. That to me is much more offensive than some exaggeration about record sales.

25. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.