Culture Club new album and tour news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

One concept that hasn't been done as much is an album of covers by one artist. (I know it's been done with different artists doing the covers but not by one singer.)
    Why doesn't George do an album of all David Bowie covers? David is his idol!

2. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Another idea for a covers album is do lesser known songs of famous artists. Call it Unheard! Everyone knows the big hits of famous iconic artists, but they also have great album tracks that people who aren't obsessive fans don't know!
    How about if George covers lesser known songs by icons like David Bowie, George Michael, Prince, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Fleetwood Mac etc.

3. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

George is still talking about George Michael! He says he and George Michael struggled to be friends. Well, maybe because he was always insulting George Michael in the media! I don't know about you guys, but I don't like to be friends with people who continually insult me.
    But George conveniently forgets to include that minor detail! And George Michael isn't here to tell his side of the story.

I wish George would let George Michael rest in piece and stop trying to exploit his death to promote his crappy reality shows.

4. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

This guy posted most of Tribes, 7 songs on youtube.

It's missing More than Silence, Let Somebody Love You and Oil and Water which they did live once, as well as a track called Written in the Stars, which leaked out online.

I know some people didn't like it, but it sounds good to me! George and his manager were idiots to stop this from being released.

5. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Some fan page claims that someone from George's solo band or crew who tours with them told them that they are talking about still releasing it in conjunction with the DVD they filmed of the last London show. But this fan won't say who this person is who gave them this information.

There have been a lot of rumors like this from fans who claim the album is coming out soon for the last two or three years so I don't really believe it anymore.
    Especially since George has booked a solo date and is talking about doing a solo tour. Usually albums are released and then a tour to promote it is booked soon after.

6. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Hey, since you seem to know all about CC, can you tell me where the track "Mr. Strange" comes from? I heard it today while listening to some random stuff and thought it was pretty good. Was it released om anything before the box set? And if not, why?

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"Mr. Strange" is on the Boy George solo CD "The Unrecoupable One Man Bandit"- it's a collection of previously unreleased songs and rarities and it's really good. :)

Boy George - Unrecoupable One Man Bandit - Amazon.com Music

8. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

9. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Yes, Unrecoupable Man Bandit is a really good album. It's a Boy George solo album but its sound is closer to Culture Club than some of his other solo albums. I think it was released in the late 90's, when his voice was a lot better than it is now.

10. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Interesting interview with Mikey from a few years ago. They are so dependent on George and his whims. It says Tribes was to be released in 2016 and they would promote it for 2 years. That didn't happen! As Mikey says, you never know with Culture Club.
    I also find it hysterical how a lot of fans think Mikey is so sweet and nice, when in interviews he makes more slightly bitchy passive aggressive comments about George than Jon and Roy combined.
    I think he is just frustrated CC never lives up to its full potential all because of diva George! Me too, Mikey!

Culture expands this Club | Whitehall-Coplay Press

11. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Apparently they are still together, because they are doing 3 shows in England this summer. Get this. The shows are at a horse racing track! For your ticket, you get to see them and the horseracing! LOL

Giddy up and get on the Culture Club!

Sounds weird but there are a lot of artists appearing at the track this summer, even quite successful credible ones.

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'd totally go to that! It sounds like fun. :)

MikaelaArsenault and Maddy5 like this.
  13. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Have you seen this? It's a fan petition to get Tribes released! Are you guys going to sign?

The release of Tribes.

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

No, because fan petitions are meaningless and won't effect anything either way.

15. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

George does have one release scheduled. A cover of Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics sung by his Voice contestant Vangelis with artwork by George. Sounds terrible!

PRE-ORDER: RetroPhobia Ft. Vangelis VERY LTD CD with EXCLUSIVE HAND DRAWN ARTWORK BY BOY GEORGE

It only has 100 copies. I don't think it's fair to fans that he prints so few because what happens is a few people will buy them all and resell them on ebay at ridiculous prices.
    Why not make a more reasonable amount?

How come he can release this but not Tribes??

16. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Not so sure. George is very concerned what people think of him and gets upset about any slightly bad publicity. Like when he was attacking Madonna and got booed on a tv show. After that, he gave up on attacking Madonna. I feel it can't hurt so why not? You don't have to use your real name.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Because not enough people would buy them, I imagine.

18. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

More than 100 do buy them. There are more people who want them and the only way they can get them is by paying a high amount on ebay.
    At least they should have a rule each person can only buy 1 or 2, so someone can't buy them all and charge a ridiculous price by reselling them.
    I think it's to make it look like there is an insane demand, so he can say they all sold out immediately.

19. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

The Vangelis guy is like a Boy George, Jr. George likes the contestants who are just like him, I guess, because he doesn't have kids.
    Cody the girl on his team was much better. I wonder what happened to her? I would rather have a song with her singing on it.

20. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

I just have never been impressed with most of G's dance/electronic stuff. Rock, R&B and even reggae suits him much better. He just doesn't feel the groove of dance music, most of his dance stuff is kind of plodding.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I liked Don't Take My Mind On A Trip.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

I like that! That is more R&B though, not dance/house/EDM. It was produced by Teddy Riley

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  23. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

I actually wouldn't mind if George worked with a current R&B producer like Pharrell or someone. Anything but that horrible acoustic and pseudo reggae stuff he does with his solo band.
    I think sometimes he and CC resist current sounds a bit too much. They need an update!

24. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Here's a new interview and an update on Tribes.
    Calmer chameleon: Boy George's new outlook on life

George says half of it is recorded and the other half is written, but not yet recorded. He said his solo covers album may come out first! Boo, George!

I don't understand why he can't just finish Tribes and release it before starting on the covers album. How long does it take to record some songs? Not more than a couple of weeks surely.
    On Cheapness and Beauty, he has a song Unfinished Business about his ex lover, Kirk Brandon. But I think that should be George's theme song! His whole career is an unfinished business! He starts things but never finishes it before moving onto the next thing.

He did a solo concert in LA last weekend but it was just acoustic with his buddy John Themis. I guess he is a nice guy, but I can't stand his dull acoustic arrangements. They all sound the same and put me right to sleep. They did lots of covers which I guess are being considered for the album including Jean Genie by Bowie, Satellite of Love by Lou Reed, Purple Rain by Prince and Tainted Love by Soft Cell.
    Having to go to a concert with just George and John Themis would be torture for me.

In other Culture Club news, also on Saturday, Roy Hay got married in Palm Springs. George was there, but I don't think Jon and Mikey were. Roy's new wife's name is Georgie! LOL That's way too many George's to deal with!

MikaelaArsenault and bob60 like this.
  25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

God I am so bored with his same old stories, 'I used to be like that but now I'm like this', 'I am a buddhist, I am spiritual' blah blah blah....
    And his twitter account is nothing more than a daily obituary page with him sending love and light and prayers to any random person/people who happened to have died that day. He knows that by paying tribute quickly his tweet is more likely to be picked up by the press and reprinted (like the Roger Moore tweet just today) George comes across as false, desperate to be liked (read successfull), toatally transparent and insincere.
    Shame because he was a fabulous pop star back in the day......

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    MikaelaArsenault and Maddy5 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.